Off Topic / Here's what I have been playing with for the last few weeks.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 20:31 Edited at: 5th Feb 2021 20:43
Thought you might like to see what I have managed to make in Unreal in a few weeks.

Not easy to actually make a game in it by any means, but still an interesting watch for peeps interested. Anyone trying out Unreal will be familiar with the awesome graphics and no clue what to do I have a few clues, but am still green in general It is pretty complex and I can see why it needs a team of users to make anything. Despite that, I like to play about and as Max is a little slow to get in order I decided to give it a try (again).

I see many features in Unreal that would be great in Max if added. Not talking advanced here, just simple (or so it seems so to me) additions.

Edit- Oh I have a strike for my choice of music later on. No surprise, but still disappointing. Shouldn't be an issue as I don't intend to monetise the vid.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 21:33
I've been doing the same, it seems to be more accessible than previously thought and above all, free like the western pack of which you've displayed a demo map.
Such beauty is also found in the free procedural nature pack, especially how easy it is to create a beautiful flowing river has amazed me.
I've already downloaded a huge library of free assets and have been learning about blueprints.
The newer procedural pack is a certain buy, beautiful seasonal landscapes.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 21:56 Edited at: 5th Feb 2021 21:56
It is certainly easier to get into than many think. However, to make a game in it is a bit more complex It's not too hard to make a demo or two as I have done, but does require a lot more to make a proper game. It's a pro engine and is somewhat complicated. I wouldn't recommend GG users to jump in with the hope of making a top game. But it would be nice to see some features implemented in Max.

I've added some npcs since, not amazing by any means, but they move about and idle when not moving. My first stab at scripting in Unreal. I am not comfortable with the visual scripting at all, but have managed to edit a script off a tutorial to work. It was pretty basic and simply moved the npc about, but I have managed to edit it to include animations to suit. Now I have a little mini zoo of creatures wandering about
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 23:25
That looks like a lot of fun.

In my view Lee is on the right track with GGM, all features brought to the surface, beautiful graphics, visual scripting, grouping and creating prefabs, and above all.. the video section for the 'how to' is going to help many new users.

I'll never really be releasing any game, i just like to hobby around and create maps.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Edit- Oh I have a strike for my choice of music later on. No surprise, but still disappointing. Shouldn't be an issue as I don't intend to monetise the vid."

youtube have the right to monetise all videos on their platform so using copyright media is against the ToS regardless of if you are planning to make money personally or not - and that's ignoring the whole copyright holders infringement side of things - it does seem a bit harsh sometimes but they do also offer a whole range of royalty free music you can use.

Quote: "Thought you might like to see what I have managed to make in Unreal in a few weeks."

it took you a few weeks to load some demos? that's some seriously long load times
glad you're having fun though, let's hope Max can actually at least get 1 leg to stand on vs the top game engines one day
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
In honesty, regarding the strike I don't care anymore, just a bit sick of the greed involved. I used to make sure I had rights to any tune I used, while watching other youtubers use anything they wanted it seemed. I make no money off youtube, unlike other said youtubers, if my channel is removed it is not an issue for me, more to peeps who find my tuts useful.
Quote: "it took you a few weeks to load some demos?"

One demo. I have (very) slow internet. Some stuff I had to leave overnight! Unreal has taken over my HDD, over 30 gigs in content so far Plus the projects I have!
Still the only demo I loaded here was the western one, and even with that I added extra stuff (not that hard). The first 2 were custom, albeit with some downloaded or default assets. But that was sort of the point of the vid. Nothing in the vid required me to alter code. Most of the 3 weeks was watching tuts in honesty and waiting for things to download! I've actually got way further just playing about with things since. I'm still a greenhorn though
I'm not expecting Max to compete, just playing about with Unreal while I wait for Max to be useable At the same time there's great lessons to be learned from Unreal. Max is currently real-time only. Fine, but baking certain things can be a great speed bonus and Unreal uses both extremely effectively. Max or GG would be crawling with the stuff I have added into my test scene. It's quite refreshing to be able to add stuff with no slowdown I can tell you
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
There seems to be about 10 dozen new engines that come out every year-- or sooner! But I thought TGC would put people in jail if you mentioned them on these forums! Anyhow there are quite a few of them to look into. Some emulate the most popular ones like you are mentioning, but with supposedly simpler UI, but still best graphics, features and capabilities-- one in particular came out 1.0 in December that looks interesting. I usually just look at the UI of all the 3 or 4 best known ones, and then click the 'X' in the top corner in confusion! Same with Blender.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh there's a plethora of engines available now. Competition is high. TGC has never had any issues with mentioning any in the past and I'm sure they are fine with it now. I'm not saying go use Unreal instead of GG or GG Max, I'm just showing the competition. For certain, Unreal is not easy to get into, even if you have made games for years. As a beginner I would not recommend it at all.

Many users here have gone looking and end up coming back. There is a reason for that It's not that Unreal is easy to use, that's for certain. It's easy to get drawn in with demo's and pre-built stuff. Make no mistake, making a game in GG is way easier than in Unreal. I have no pretensions that I will ever make a blockbuster, I'd be happy with a playable demo Given the assets, I would be fairly confident of making a walking simulator as they are called. There are many

It's highly doubtful I will use Unreal exclusively in the long term, I'm too old school. TGC's stuff has always ticked most the boxes for me But it's interesting to try new stuff
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Feb 2021 09:40
Awesome stuff @Dvader i have used unreal and unity only to test assets, i have not really made anything with either, hopefully MAX will give us something similar but easier to use

Sorry to be a party pooper but i need to move this to off topic
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-9700K @4.2GHz - 64GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB - 2TB NVe, 1TB NVe, 2TB Hybrid Data Drive
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Asset Manager
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
For certain that is the hope of course I must admit one good thing with Unreal, well not good for my HDD I suppose, is the sheer amount of quality free media available. The Countess in the 3rd person example for instance. AAA quality and better than any characters I have seen in GG (or any other engine really) to date. It even has hair that moves with your characters movement and rotation. The rest are of a similar quality.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Some water effects

There's a lot more I could show, but taking my time But I found this particular effect quite hypnotic in motion
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2021 22:25
Have you seen the city park pack?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes. I have that one, although it's pretty big and I daren't add it to any projects at the sec. I did have a look at it and it was very nice but a little hoggy with the massive test map. Not surprising though.

More pics from the parts I have added since doing the vid.

Finally.

It's a fairly large map and so far I have used 2 terrains for it. It's possible to add more as well. Speed is fine with no slowdown at all that I can notice by eye and I have a lot of things running about and a few quite detailed bits of scenery. If I do another vid on it I can show the basic ai I have managed to cobble together. All the creatures in the shots are running about and idling nicely. Same AI for all of em at heart and works with gigantic dragons down to a bunny rabbit (if I had one) smallest I have is a gigantic hound at the moment.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure how useful it will be but looks good.
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2021 06:23
This is a good entry level tutorial on navigating the Unreal engine.

You'll find a few playlists with tutorials on his YT.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:27:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:27:47