Scripts / Advise on releasing a script to GG users

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2021 17:35
Over the past several years I have been writing LUA scripts for Game Guru intended to control the movement of entities during game play. I have titled these scripts MCS (Movement Control Script). The original objective of these unattended scripts are to create background movement (a car going by, an airplane flying across the sky, etc) hopefully breathing a sense of life into the game.

Another of my objectives is to create a script format that can be used over and over without the need to rewrite portions of the code. I have accomplished this by building into the script a method where-by I can customize the script not by rewriting the code, but simply entering data that defines how and where the entity will move during game play.

With the release of the GG camera/player controls, I expanded the concept to give the player control over activating movement scripts, as well allowing the player to move along with the entity. Using this script the player (camera) can ride along with the car or fly along with the airplane etc.

Considering that Game Guru is intended to be used by non-scriptwriters, I think that my data entry approach might well work for those users who are code challenged.

So readers of this can get a better sense of what I'm talking about, I have an online YouTube channel where there is a video demonstrating what the script does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMp-i-scfIQ

I have also enclosed a PDF files that contains a portion of an operators manual for the MCS script.

That said I have been thinking about offering the base script for free as public domain. I'm asking for some advise...

What is the best way to do something like this?

How can I insure that users of the script understand that THERE WILL BE NO GUARANTEE OR SUPPORT (from me), as I have other projects I'm interested in pursuing.

Your suggestion will be appreciated.

"THERE IS NO SPOON"

AMD 6300 6 core 3.5 ghz, Windows 10, 8GB ram, GTX 1060 2GB ram

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a thoughtful idea GoDevils.
"What is the best way to do something like this?"

... well, let me pull out my GG forums manual. It says on page
782, section 4.5; "I think you just did it."

If it's released to public domain (which is basically the foundation and assumption
of these forums), then what goes along with that is "No strings or guarantees attached!"
Selling your script on the store is another option but up to you what you wish to do
with it. I'm sure many GG users will have a go at the script with interest.
PM
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2021 17:59
@ GubbyBlips

LOL, yea I guess I did, though I have one or two little tweaks to complete before I can release the code.

Just attached the script to a post and that's it?
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2021 19:30
Quote: "How can I insure that users of the script understand that THERE WILL BE NO GUARANTEE OR SUPPORT (from me), as I have other projects I'm interested in pursuing."

State it in your pdf file, zip it plus the script in a zip file, and share it. Great work.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2021 23:05
Thanks 3com.

About another week to get everything buttoned-up

I did make that statement in the tutorial.
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2021 06:11 Edited at: 16th Jan 2021 07:12
Quote: "How can I insure that users of the script understand that THERE WILL BE NO GUARANTEE OR SUPPORT (from me), as I have other projects I'm interested in pursuing."

If your posting on the TGCStore at all just remember its part of the agreement to ensure the scripts work and there is continued support for them. I dont think you'll have any issues if your posting them on the forums, or even if you post them externally else where. No commitments there.
Store Assets - Store Link
Free Assets - Resource Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2021 15:25
Sound a bit like something I did years ago:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216730#msg2563082

No-one used it to my knowledge.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:32:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:32:51