Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2020 13:08 Edited at: 24th Oct 2020 13:00

Developer: LucaRules / Scarlet Studio

Purchase on Steam

Game Plot:

In.My.Mind is a first-person survival horror: Explore! Solve the Puzzles! Survive! Fight! Run!
Become Henry a man whose life took away the most precious thing... Long divorced from Margareth Carson he spends his days lying drunk on the coach or trying without succeeding to work from home as a reporter. One day when everything is settling down something unexpected happens... After a few days in a coma he wakes up somewhere that is not an hospital. In order to find information and made his way out of this place that seems to be a nightmare, Henry will have to face some very odd situations, solve puzzles and meet creepy creatures. In this adventure you will see Henry grows and understands his darkest mysteries guided by a strange entity that he will find out to be...

Trailer:

In.My.Mind - The Beginning - [Level Zero]

In.My.Mind - The Awakening - [Level One]

In.My.Mind - The Chase - [Level Two]

In.My.Mind - The Truth - [Level Three]

In.My.Mind - The Mother - [Level Four]

In.My.Mind - The Suspect - [Level Five]

In.My.Mind - The Explanation - [Level Six]

In.My.Mind - The Encounter - [Level Seven]

In.My.Mind - The Culprit - [Level Eight]

Screenshot:

Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-6700K, GTX 980TI Zotac AMP Extreme, 16 GB RAM

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2020 21:24
Very impressive GG indie game!!!
Finalmente un italiano!! Vai col codeghin e la pearĂ !!!
The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, keyshot, palettecad, Kerkythea, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles,leadwerks, s2game engine.......in the next future blender
PM
LucaRules
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2020 23:18
ahahahah thank you
Lesso and pearĂ  4ever, massa bona!!
Kitakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
I've played 1.5 hours now. And yea that is great you finished a project and put it on steam. But once it's on steam and you are asking 8$ for it then don't expect much mercy.

THE CONS:
Having key items spawn, only once the player gets to the locked door has to be one of the worst design choices of all time. Not only is it immersion breaking because the item I'm now looking for was NOT there a second ago, but it is horribly frustrating. What I quickly learned was to get to the locked door as fast as possible and not explore anything because there would be nothing to find and I would have to come to the same area anyway.
The puzzle where you had to put the crate on the pad to open to iron door was a horrible experience. The idea of the puzzle is pretty good, but having the boxes spawn only when the player gets to certain points in the puzzle is just not fair at all. Well it's more than not fair.. it's stupid. And the (hydraulic?) pad had no sound effect or animation, so I'm just suppose to know it's a weight pad and not a switch by the message "An Iron Door is Unlocked?" Combine that with the fact that you have to backtrack for not 1 but 2 moveable boxes creates a really confusing level.
Fetch the Key is not fun. It was overdone 15 years ago. The one level where you have to find multiple keys (which don't have names and unlock specific doors) and then find 3 separate gears and also find fuel, so that you can open a door to get yet ANOTHER key was legitimately headache inducing. I really considered putting in for a refund right then.

Holding F to recharge flashlight seemed like an interesting idea, but it has become apparent that I have to keep the flashlight on at all times to see anything. So the mechanic is a chore that does nothing but slow me down.
Same thing with the sprint. If you're gonna have every level be a backtrack Fetch the Key quest, then please god let me sprint without running out of breath.

To many notes in the same area. Why do you need 5 notes with 10 feet from each other? Just put them all on 1 note?

Also what's the deal with the Regenerator monster from Resident Evil 4? Even uses the same spiky animation? I know it's from the DLC pack but can you legitimately use it in a project a charge money? Seems like you could be easily sued for that. But the legal stuff is besides the point. The point is that the model is ripped right out of another game and throwing a slightly different texture on it doesn't make it any less weird that you're using a model that is like the flagship monster of Resident Evil 4 lol.
The Sound effect when the Regenerator spawns... why.. it's like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat? "GET OVER HERE!" I'm not sure if it's suppose to be funny or what.

Many assets have the wrong material index assigned to them. Just off the top of my head the bed in the first room on the first level is made of glass. I find it hard to believe that you did not ever once test that level and walk on top of the bed? Speaking of the first level, once again fetch quest where you go back and pick up items that have magically appeared in spots.

I'd like to type a paragraph about the assets used and how 90% of games on Steam made with gameguru use the same asylum assets. But I'll come back after I beat the game. I really really hope there is different environments.

THE PROS
Some levels have interesting level design.
LucaRules
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2020 17:44 Edited at: 12th Oct 2020 17:07
Hi Kitakazi thanks for the feedback!

Quote: "But once it's on steam and you are asking 8$ for it then don't expect much mercy."

As far as the price is concerned, I don't think it's so exaggerated counting that on Steam under the discounts you can find it even for less than 5 dollars. In Italy with 8 dollars you don't even buy a alcoholic drink.

Quote: "Having key items spawn, only once the player gets to the locked door has to be one of the worst design choices of all time. Not only is it immersion breaking because the item I'm now looking for was NOT there a second ago, but it is horribly frustrating. What I quickly learned was to get to the locked door as fast as possible and not explore anything because there would be nothing to find and I would have to come to the same area anyway.
The puzzle where you had to put the crate on the pad to open to iron door was a horrible experience. The idea of the puzzle is pretty good, but having the boxes spawn only when the player gets to certain points in the puzzle is just not fair at all. Well it's more than not fair.. it's stupid. And the (hydraulic?) pad had no sound effect or animation, so I'm just suppose to know it's a weight pad and not a switch by the message "An Iron Door is Unlocked?" Combine that with the fact that you have to backtrack for not 1 but 2 moveable boxes creates a really confusing level.
Fetch the Key is not fun. It was overdone 15 years ago. The one level where you have to find multiple keys (which don't have names and unlock specific doors) and then find 3 separate gears and also find fuel, so that you can open a door to get yet ANOTHER key was legitimately headache inducing. I really considered putting in for a refund right then.

Holding F to recharge flashlight seemed like an interesting idea, but it has become apparent that I have to keep the flashlight on at all times to see anything. So the mechanic is a chore that does nothing but slow me down.
Same thing with the sprint. If you're gonna have every level be a backtrack Fetch the Key quest, then please god let me sprint without running out of breath.

To many notes in the same area. Why do you need 5 notes with 10 feet from each other? Just put them all on 1 note?"

This is the way I wanted to set up the gaming experience, it may or may not please you, it's totally subjective this is true, but I'm not a programmer or a game designer I created it as a hobby, there are things that can be improved but from what I see you can't push it much with game gurus.

Quote: " I know it's from the DLC pack but can you legitimately use it in a project a charge money? Seems like you could be easily sued for that."

As far as the In.My.Mind story is concerned, it does not refer to the RE 4 series and the monster used is part of a DLC made available free of charge by TGC and clearly specifies that all the assets present can be used for commercial purposes.
I leave you the link below (last sentence of ABOUT THIS CONTENT):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/496580/GameGuru__Expansion_Pack/
''All the assets in this pack are royalty free, meaning any game you make with them can be legally sold by you.''

Also in this DLC there is a monster that looks a lot like the left 4 dead tank, I've seen it used in many games made with this engine.

Quote: "I'd like to type a paragraph about the assets used and how 90% of games on Steam made with gameguru use the same asylum assets. But I'll come back after I beat the game. I really really hope there is different environments."

I don't see where the problem is as buying gameguru makes these assets available for all of us to use. I've seen your work in progress (Screos) and I see that you also use most of these assets.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2020 19:45 Edited at: 14th Oct 2020 19:47
From what I can tell, these are largely stock assets, some extremely basic puzzles, (If all the trailer of your game shows are non descript corridors and picking up a box there is a problem) and a bit of mixed media from various model packs, unchanged. This seems to be at most bare bones and I don't quite understand why you think to sell it on steam and itch....let alone for such a high prise.
LucaRules
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2020 12:33 Edited at: 15th Oct 2020 12:44
Hi @Wolf

Quote: "From what I can tell, these are largely stock assets, some extremely basic puzzles,"

I repeat if I buy Game Guru and it makes these assets available I don't see why I can't use them, I paid 45 euros for them some time ago.

As far as puzzles are concerned, they are different and grow in difficulty when you go from one level to another. The one of the box is only present in level 2.

Quote: "This seems to be at most bare bones and I don't quite understand why you think to sell it on steam and itch....let alone for such a high prise. "

There are many finished games on this forum and on Steam made with Game Guru always with assets available but only me I have been criticized for this.

The duration of the game varies from 5-7 hours not 30 minutes. The price is not high counting that they are 8 dollars and often you can find it in discount under 5 dollars, I've seen 1 or 2 packs that you put on sale on the game creator store easily playable on SketchUp in a short time and one of them is at 9 dollars.

If this is the Game Guru community it's no wonder the engine is going so bad, it's aimed at people like me who are not experienced 3d modellers and don't have much knowledge about programming languages, otherwise I would have moved straight to Unity or Unreal Engine, I don't understand what you expect.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 15th Oct 2020 12:53 Edited at: 15th Oct 2020 12:55
The issue isn't whether you can use the models provided with gameguru, it's not because people have paid more in that past and don't like it.

The issue is the market. the market, meaning gamers who could potentially buy your game, are a fickle bunch, and one thing they hate, something which they will rip you apart for, is what they call asset flipping, the use of assets that are free with engines in commercial games.

Most of the people that might buy your game are the kind of people who will play through the game and look at every item in it, and if they find a single item they recognise they will grab a refund then troll your game, many of them are big YouTubers who do it specifically to rag on certain game engines. It's not nice, and it can really ruin your reputation, but it's part of being a game dev.

What the guys above are trying to tell you is that while you can use the assets in a commercial game, it's not advisable, they're not targeting you they're trying to help you, just like they do with everyone. It's best to treat the models you get in GG and it's DLC's as prototyping models, to be replaced before commercial release. Or at least altered enough that they're not immediately recognisable.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2020 14:46
Hello!

Quote: "I repeat if I buy Game Guru and it makes these assets available I don't see why I can't use them, I paid 45 euros for them some time ago."

You can absolutely use them, no one is debating that, however there are already half a dozen game guru games out there with these asylum hallways, lack of proper lighting and art direction. You could have at least retextured it a bit, the way you do this comes off as ill advised and lazy. Again, its a commercial game on steam that seems to mostly consists of props with a striking difference in art style by other people thrown together. You are free to do what you choose but I wouldn't expect positive feedback for it.

Quote: "There are many finished games on this forum and on Steam made with Game Guru always with assets available but only me I have been criticized for this."

Not true, just look at the reviews for most GG games like this or responses here on the forums.

Quote: "I've seen 1 or 2 packs that you put on sale on the game creator store easily playable on SketchUp in a short time and one of them is at 9 dollars. "

That is a legitimate criticism, however, custom media for games is expensive and due to the relative amateurisch quality of my content, its also cheap. I only sell them to prevent them from being in shovel ware media and asset flips to be honest.
Just browse the UE4 asset store or cgtrader to see how expensive these can get. Also since you already mentioned that custom props can be made with relative ease in sketch up, I'd suggest you adding some to your game?

Quote: "If this is the Game Guru community it's no wonder the engine is going so bad, it's aimed at people like me who are not experienced 3d modellers and don't have much knowledge about programming languages, otherwise I would have moved straight to Unity or Unreal Engine, I don't understand what you expect."

Well, what one would expect is a certain amount of effort put into a commercial steam release. What can be seen in the trailer (which usually shows a few highlights of a game, if this is the case then oof ) and your screenshots is underwhelming at best. No real level design, unaltered props that clash visually, the most basic script work you can do in GG, a residentl evil 4 inspired enemy character (if your game gets the wrong attention, this CAN be a problem regardless of the pack license, sorry to say.) and Errant AI's weapons that look absolutely out of place due to being far higher quality than anything and everything else. There is also no gameplay visible in this trailer that goes beyond standard GG functionality.
I think that in a creative community it is important to offer honest feedback. There is a certain lack of this here which keeps new users from growing but that is a different topic. This also means that once you put something on steam that has the bare minimum to even qualify as a game and doing so at a relatively high price allows people to criticize you for it.
And lets be honest, did you really expect to get nothing but praise for this game? Would you buy this yourself?
LucaRules
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2020 17:13
Hi @Belidos thank you for expaining were the problem Is, I didn't know that using assets also used in other games could create a wrong impression on the buyer, if I had bought the wolf assets to create the game I'm sure he would not complain.

@Wolf
Quote: "a residentl evil 4 inspired enemy character (if your game gets the wrong attention, this CAN be a problem regardless of the pack license, sorry to say.)"

For the monster issue I repeat I didn't know, I was just aware of the left for dead tank, simply it should be TGC to take it away so that people like me who don't know it don't use it in their games, but here is already the second time I am accused and no request is made to TGC to take the monster away from the DLC that has been present for years. At this point I will contact valve for clarification.

Quote: "I think that in a creative community it is important to offer honest feedback."

It would be more honest if you played the whole game not watching a trailer and 6-7 screenshots destroying the whole work and claiming that there is no gameplay, I had the chance to download your games and try them some time ago and besides picking up a weapon and shooting you don't do anything else, I didn't like it, but not for this I start saying that it sucks and there is no gameplay.

Quote: "And lets be honest, did you really expect to get nothing but praise for this game? Would you buy this yourself?"

No, but having never played it I don't even expect all this hard work and for only 5.39 euros it's a low price and I'd buy it with discounts at 3 euros. I will add a video with the whole gameplay.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 15th Oct 2020 18:46 Edited at: 15th Oct 2020 18:47
Quote: "simply it should be TGC to take it away so that people like me who don't know it don't use it in their games"

I'm pretty sure they already did some time ago (at least i think it was those ones), however if you already had the assets installed prior to the removal they will be still in your entitybank, they can't do anything about that.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2020 18:57 Edited at: 15th Oct 2020 19:05
Quote: "For the monster issue I repeat I didn't know, I was just aware of the left for dead tank, simply it should be TGC to take it away so that people like me who don't know it don't use it in their games"

True that, I didn't know it either before I have seen these when I played RE4. I think TGC isn't aware of it either. GG games like this are usually below the radar enough that you will most likely not have any problems, but if someone where to make a game that gathers popularity they might end up having their hard work taken down without any real fault of their own. (I also just don't understand how someone can have the skill to model and animate a model like that, but then doesn't come up with his own design and instead copies a popular video game character.)

Quote: "It would be more honest if you played the whole game not watching a trailer and 6-7 screenshots destroying the whole work"

I didn't destroy anything. This is just the impression I got from what you have shown here, not a personal attack.
Also lets not pretend that there is anything to the game that isn't apparent from the material you posted to promote it. I've also read Kitakazi's post that clearly implies that this is exactly the type of game it seems to be. If you upload a video, we all can tell for sure.

Quote: "I had the chance to download your games and try them some time ago and besides picking up a weapon and shooting you don't do anything else, I didn't like it, but not for this I start saying that it sucks and there is no gameplay."

Thats accurate. However, these are simple test games and they are free... if I'd sell those on steam I'd expect horrible reviews, and it would be valid criticism In fact, if you have any comments or crits on these games you can post, thats what the showcase threads are for.
I leave you with this: This is emerald lake. Its made in FPSC that in many ways is even more limited than GG, but I think this qualifies as a valid commercial product within the confines of the engine used.
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2020 01:49
Quote: "Having key items spawn, only once the player gets to the locked door has to be one of the worst design choices of all time. "

Na, it`s not, it`s controversial. We did something similar in "Into the Dark" (although less obvious) and half of the reviewers hated that, half praised it. But we wrapped the mechanic up in a special joke for almost every spawn, and the players were actually hunting those jokes and references instead of actual game progress.

Quote: "Also what's the deal with the Regenerator monster from Resident Evil 4? Even uses the same spiky animation? I know it's from the DLC pack but can you legitimately use it in a project a charge money? Seems like you could be easily sued for that. But the legal stuff is besides the point. The point is that the model is ripped right out of another game and throwing a slightly different texture on it doesn't make it any less weird that you're using a model that is like the flagship monster of Resident Evil 4 lol. "

This was sold as an official TGC models pack. That doesnt make it better but in case of being sued you can hold TGC perfectly accountable when you have to pull your game and pay fines. Not matter how long that was ago and no matter if something like
Quote: "I'm pretty sure they already did some time ago (at least i think it was those ones), however if you already had the assets installed prior to the removal they will be still in your entitybank, they can't do anything about that."

was done later.
I got myself a very informal "ok" from the original right holders before releasing commercially. Which is probably easier when you have business relationships in your dayjob anyway.
However, in hindsight, I would have replaced all obviously copycatted models.

Quote: "Well, what one would expect is a certain amount of effort put into a commercial steam release. What can be seen in the trailer (which usually shows a few highlights of a game, if this is the case then oof ) and your screenshots is underwhelming at best. No real level design, unaltered props that clash visually, the most basic script work you can do in GG, a residentl evil 4 inspired enemy character (if your game gets the wrong attention, this CAN be a problem regardless of the pack license, sorry to say.) and Errant AI's weapons that look absolutely out of place due to being far higher quality than anything and everything else. There is also no gameplay visible in this trailer that goes beyond standard GG functionality. "

What Wolf says.

Don`t get me wrong: Congratulations, you have finished and published a game, that is more than most people starting gamedev adventures ever accomplished.
You can rightfully call yourself a game dev with a shipped title.
But you are not a game designer - yet.
You clearly don`t think in game loops, in retention and progression mechanics, in player motivation curves and reward moments.
Again - yet.
You are not a level designer - at least not one that would have a stand in any commercial environment. I am not a good one either, visually inferior to the better ones here (including Wolf, whose words you should print out and memorize).
Again - yet. Study other games, study their game levels and scenes, understand what makes those outstanding, develop your own style.
You can get there over time.
Throwing something playable together from the pre-fetched assets and compiling it into something that can actually be played through is an achievment, and noone takes that away from you. But it is one of the early steps, not the end of the line.
Putting such an early work as commercial product on Steam is a bad move.
There are places for that to gather feedback, to learn and to grow.
Itch.io would work.
Steam doesn`t.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
LucaRules
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2020 15:52
Quote: "I'm pretty sure they already did some time ago (at least i think it was those ones), however if you already had the assets installed prior to the removal they will be still in your entitybank, they can't do anything about that."

@Belidos I tried to uninstall gameguru and install it again but the monster that looks like RE4 is still there, I contacted Lee and reported the problem.

@Ertlov I will follow Wolf's advice when making 3D models created by me.

[Update] - Added videos for each level.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2020 17:14
Hi All,

Just been sent a link to this thread. We did a big purge a year or three ago to remove a few characters that had the style of popular game characters from one of the DLCs, and I assumed we got them all. If you could point to the DLC and exact entitybank folder path and name of the RE4 inspired character, I will make sure it is removed. No sense causing extra grief for a budding game maker for the sake of a few risky models. I can assure the reader that all our own stock and DLC licensed models are created by the original artist and not copied, we do not go there, but there is a strong case for models that resemble popular characters from games, and it's best to avoid those situations, just to be safe and respectful for all copyright holders who deserve protection for their hard work.
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:14:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:14:54