Product Chat / GameGuru Max Alpha 6.1 - VR testing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2020 21:42 Edited at: 15th Sep 2020 21:46
Hello

Since VR is available in the latest Alpha 6.1 of GGMax I decided to give it a go and share my experience.

So I am using the following:
HMD Odyssey - Windows Mixed Reality Headset
Desktop Intel Core i5 8400 (2.80 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD
ASUS TUF Gaming X3 GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER TUF 3-GTX1660S-O6G-GAMING 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6
Windows Home 64-Bit

I used the cellar demo that was included with the stocks assets and added 3 weapons and the old guy character(also included with GG max).

Important: If you want to try with your own Mixed reality headset, make sure the Microsoft WMR application is started and the your headset is ready (in the VR lobby) BEFORE going into VR mode with GGMax,
else GGMax will crash, and my headset just screw up and I had to reset it.

Once that's done start the cellar demo and click on the Test in VR icon

Now for the experience itself.
Note: IT'S an alpha for sure. I understand that the functionalities are limited and not complete.

The controls:
Initially the walking around was working fine with the joysticks on the controller, but at some point I could not advance normally. Seems the directions were screwed up and they never went back to normal afterwards. To move forward I had to go backwards on the controller.. or sideways. Warning if you get motion sickness in VR lol. Basically I think that the directional functionalities are not following where you look in VR at some point.
Picking a weapon is easy, use the trigger. But I have no idea how to switch weapon or reload within VR . I tried the buttons on the controllers, etc.. and no go. I had to remove my headset and choose the weapon on the keyboard (with 1,2,3). Maybe there will be some scripting to be done.

Assets
I added a character, that was included. (I could never add one that I created with the Charactor editor, not sure why), I set it to walk towards me in the settings. Be he ended up walking in the wall and staying there, walking.

Visuals:
The textures seems a bit weird and not that clear with some flickering occasionally. Maybe that's just me..

Sound:
Sound was normal. Nothing special here.

FPS:
The FPS was stable at around 40 outside the cellar. And inside about 20-30. I imagine on my ASUS Rog i7 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2 GB GDDR5 on my gaming laptop it would not be playable. Not tested.

Conclusion:
Once I got out of VR, the editor does not return to it's proper size. Everything seems squeezed in the editor.
Still a lot of work to be done in general I think. Even with the normal GG Max functionalities. Not quite sure how the GG team will manage to release a stable GG Max on the 30th IMO. I think they should take more time
to sort out the bugs and the stability before a public release. That's my personal opinion. But it's a very good start, and VR will be an important feature I think, if it's stable.
I am still hopeful.

Here is a short video I recorded in VR for those who are curious:
https://youtu.be/pgcRCRg-R2g

Thanks
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2020 22:33
Congratulations, you got a lot further than I did.

Oculus Rift-S here and whatever I did either MAX crashed out or I just got a white screen in the headset and then MAX appeared to have crashed but checking the task manager showed one of the tasks still running but no display on the desktop.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
qcrocknet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2020 22:43
Oculus Rift, well from what I heard it's not supported yet?
I know Lee talked about the Quest (which I do have), but using the Oculus-link (with cable).
Since my PC uses the WMR headset, I cannot use both at the same time. I have to unplug the WMR, then restart the PC then start the Oculus application.. which sometimes is not working well (I guess because of my SteamVR setup. Confusion with the old WMR settings I think).

I plan to test it also with the Quest, but will wait it's more stable (in the Beta?). Was not comfortable in my VR world with MAX
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2020 22:58 Edited at: 15th Sep 2020 22:59
The whole point of using OpenXR is that it should not matter which headset you use! MAX doesn't support one headset over another it should simply support any headset that supports OpenXR.

The Rift-S supports OpenXR (according to Oculus) so it should just work out of the box.

The Quest has an added complexity in that it has to go through the Oculus link app in order to support OpenXR.

So from my POV MAX not working with the Rift-S is a bit of a show stopper because it indicates that it doesn't really support the OpenXR standard properly. (or it indicates that Oculus are lying when they say that they do!)
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
qcrocknet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2020 23:32
You are correct. But I was not sure if the implementation was complete in the alpha for OpenXR. In a beta any supported OpenXR headsets should work, well a least run a bit like with my WMR headset. If not, well, GG has a major issue for supporting VR. I also thought the controls in VR would show as hands (seen that in one of the broadcasts). I do not think in 2020, we should see controller pics in a VR game unless the the creator of the game wants that. VR is something I really want working well in GG Max.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Still cannot get anything with my quest ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
qcrocknet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2020 12:10 Edited at: 16th Sep 2020 13:53
@synchromesh Can you play PCVR games on your Quest with the Oculus link(cable) at the moment?
Just in case, here is the link for the Oculus Quest + link:
https://uploadvr.com/how-to-launch-oculus-link/

GG Max games cannot run directly within the Quest device. Only with a cable.

I will try withVirtual Desktop when the beta is available for MAX.I played games wirelessly with it + the Quest. It works great. Basically it will let you stream your game to your Quest via WIFI. Probably make a video for that. I do not like a cable with my Quest.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Ye i play loads oculus Link all the time so i am very familiar with PCVR, Steam and sideloading.
Lee is going to check it out ( as he also has a quest ) He said he hasnt tested it in a while so it may not be working.
PM
qcrocknet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2020 20:00 Edited at: 16th Sep 2020 20:01
@AmenMoses Facebook just annnounced it's Quest 2 and from what I understand, they will drop the Rift-s. Because the Quest 2 is 50% more powerful than the Quest 1 and you can connect it directly to a VR PC.

@synchromesh Good. I will let Lee try it out. And with the Quest 2 coming in October (pre-ordered), it has to work

Also during the broadcast Lee answered one of the issue I had with weapon selection and reloading for example:
Q> Will VR functionality have limitations upon release? Currently, I did not see a way to change weapons, reload in WMR. Is it because we will need to code lua scripting for this?
A> No need to code that. We intend to add weapon switching and reloading functionality to the VR experience, in addition to any other aspects you will need to complete the game without removing the headset.
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 21st Sep 2020 16:41
I have a Oculus Quest 1, a Samsung Odyssey Plus and coming soon, a Oculus Quest 2.

I tried to test VR with my Oculus Quest 1 using Riftcat as a wireless go between (allows me to stream STEAM VR games wirelessly). It works for all VR STEAM games and I even used it with the original early alpha of the GG Max engine and it worked perfectly.

Tried it out on 6.1 and it failed miserably. I could not connect and it didn't even go double screen like it's supposed to.

Did not work with the hard wired Samsung Odyssey Plus either - and that's straight Windows Mixed Reality.

Hopefully, this will be fixed in the near future.

My gaming rig is a Alienware with 32gb ram, Nvidia 1080 Ti with 16gb VRAM and all the gaming bells and whistles.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.atomiccatinteractive.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
qcrocknet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2020 20:19
@World Class Multimedia Strange it did not work with with your Samsung Odyssey. That's what I have also. But like mentionned, do not go in VR with 6.1 before having started the MS WMR application first and you see the MS lobby in your headset. Else GG Max crashes.
But again, it could depend on drivers versions or other obscure things in Windows
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2020 00:50 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2020 00:54
I tried both Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop. I can run steam games and Rift games flawlessly on either with the quest wireless or not but no luck so far with Max. Lee did say he would take another look as he has run it with his Quest so fingers crossed.

EDIT.. VRMode =3 in the setup.ini ... Wonder if changing that makes a difference ?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:11:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:11:00