Product Chat / Will GG Classic standalone games support multiplayer?

Author
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

sorry but I couln't find the awnser in the forum.

' Will GG Classic standalone games support multiplayer? ' or it's going to be only a GG Max feature?

Thanks
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
There's already basic multiplayer support via steam. It's not great though and no idea how it would work with a standalone game. If it even does. I wouldn't hold your breath for any updates in that regard with Classic now, unless they update that with any Max stuff.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Medmatheus
Years of Service
User Offline
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2020 09:52
If u ask for the possibility to create MP games like counter strike, no.
PM
Medmatheus
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea @osiem80, I'm a fan of games like Cry of Fear, and almost all games nowadays have a 'campaign mode' and 'coop mode'. I really wanted to follow this line for my project ... bad news so
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Waiting to see any good visual information on MAX multiplayer.
Only hints of it being added-- did I miss something?

I hope it add a lot more can place customized scripts and models--
but afraid maybe this is what I heard won't happen??

What would stop the multiplayer from sharing the map across the
board of users if the other players don't even need GG?!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2020 15:47 Edited at: 5th Jul 2020 15:49
Quote: "Waiting to see any good visual information on MAX multiplayer.
Only hints of it being added-- did I miss something?"

The functions wont really be any different except you will be able to use Photon instead of Steam
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
"The functions wont really be any different except you will be able to use Photon instead of Steam"

I don't understand the perks of Photon other than no need to own a GG copy--
((No?)) any other perks that might help Multiplayer developers?
[Both] links I read (set below) relate to Unity connections-- are they outdated?

I think it's about time we get an active Multiplayer thread going and voice our
support for a few more features ((custom media/ scripts for example)), while
maybe the fishing is in season. Because if these things become hard-coded,
to resurrect it from the concrete crypts might be a real big chore or not possible.

https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/pun/current/getting-started/pun-intro
https://gamedevacademy.org/unity-photon-tutorial/
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2020 09:19 Edited at: 9th Jul 2020 01:46
Quote: "I don't understand the perks of Photon other than no need to own a GG copy--"

Thats pretty much it.
The one thing that was always asked for was to be able to play MP without that need. Whether they will enhance it in any way down the line remains to be seen.

But to answer the OP's question its most unlikely.
PM
swift-au
Years of Service
User Offline
IMHO proper multi-player support (not requiring everybody to own a copy of GG, and synchronising items across all clients etc) is probably above and beyond the most needed missing feature from GG. The better graphics, VR support, and whatever else that Max will deliver is, unfortunately, far less valuable than proper multi-player support. Unfortunately it seems that TGC don't rate it highly, but personally I don't see a lot of single player games that are released using GG, and Max likely won't change that markedly. Single player games require a LOT of work, and are largely beyond the realm of what an indie developer can achieve. Multi-player "frag" maps are a lot easier, and don't require the level of story telling required in a single player game, not to mention they don't require advanced AI, which is also somewhat lacking in GG (though granted could be greatly improved with more advanced scripting).

If there was one feature I would be happy to "chip in" to help support, it would definitely be proper multi-player support.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The better graphics, VR support, and whatever else that Max will deliver is, unfortunately, far less valuable than proper multi-player support."

But Max will have standalone MP support. ?
PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2020 22:05
Quote: "But Max will have standalone MP support. ?"

even if yes, u wouldnt could do much with that, just a simple deathmatch map.
Its a shame, we should get a full mp support with possibilities to create different missions like bomb planting, rescue hostage, capturing flags
PM
swift-au
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But Max will have standalone MP support. ?"

Magic 8 ball says "Outlook not so good"
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2020 00:46 Edited at: 14th Jul 2020 10:05
Quote: "even if yes, u wouldnt could do much with that, just a simple deathmatch map."

Well Deathmatch and Co-op which is fun .. But the thing is no one uses it now so why would they waste time adding more. Please dont say its just because the other person needs GG. We do have it and still dont use it

Quote: "mp support with possibilities to create different missions like bomb planting, rescue hostage,"

You can actually do a Co-op rescuing Hostages. Just make sure the last NPC is guarding the hostage so that's the final location
PM
Mortt
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting...
I have been working on this idea. Best that I can come up with is all the data relating changes in the game be pooled in one place. From that place, updated data is then sent to each user. Time lag is a big issue but, if the game is a wider spaced game in 24 hours for example, then this would solve the time lag. But not for shooters that rely on real time action. But for multi player where time lag is not an issue it is possible.
(Custom) Intel i7 3.3 Mhz. 16 GB fast ram. EVGA Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB. Dell US27 2560 x 1440. Dell 24 1920 x 1080. Awesome.
Next G. Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 PCIe3.0 Graphics Card.
Would Like EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X PCIe3.0 Graphics Card
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't understand the perks of Photon other than no need to own a GG copy--
((No?)) any other perks that might help Multiplayer developers?
[Both] links I read (set below) relate to Unity connections-- are they outdated?"

well it's mainly just a server hosting solution that you can use to test your games with - they do offer some basic scripts in unity to make things easier (such as automatically sending movement data to all players etc) but it's not really necessary as you can (and likely will want to) write your own anyway... who knows how much GG will actually make use of photon or how much we will get access to though..

in terms of the final result - it's not intended to be your final multiplayer host unless you pay for a server - the basic service is intended for testing as it will only support a low number (in terms of online games) of players.

unity still uses photon but it is in the process of dropping it so that is why the info will seem outdated but there is not a new service in place yet.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2020 21:13
The multiplayer feature for all game maker TGC products (FPSC, FPSCX10, FPSCR-GG and now presumably also GGX) has been rudimentary at best. That means no co-op campaign.

Of course, every now and then we do get new users trying to make a commercial MP game with it even after you explain this to them. (Usually people also don't understand how difficult it would be to retain a community of players if you release an obscure indie MP game, no matter the engine)

There is simple death match, you can play with your friends, thats it. In all likelihood, this will be the same with GGX altough I don't know that for sure at this point. We always had the feature, so why lose it at this point...and to be painfully honest, it seems like a nice box to check when marketing the product.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Good news or not- honest as always Wolf!
What I am trying to // no wait <wanting> to understand (there is no try)
is why if you can do stock assets and scripts-- but GG itself is not required--
No one as far as I can see has explained why extra models and scripts would
not work in the multiplayer?

Is that a hard-coded file search the engine does? Please FTLOGG what?

Custom scripts, etc do not work reliably sometimes in the stand-alones for
regular games-- BUT if we got them to work/ what is inherently the cause
for them not to carry over to multiplayer games?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That means no co-op campaign."

Hmm ye i cannot see the team options in Alpha 1 for Co-op which is a bummer..
I had a lot of fun with that
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Custom scripts, etc do not work reliably sometimes in the stand-alones for
regular games-- BUT if we got them to work/ what is inherently the cause
for them not to carry over to multiplayer games?"

They are not synchron. If you write a script and add it to GG MP, every person has a different experience. I tested it with a simple weapon float script (the weapon moves up and down). Very often one player could collect the weapon whereas the other players not even could reach them.
So you need to create MP synchron lua commands which is hard work and then you need to setup a server configuration which a developer needs to install on his own server. I am not sure, but I think this is too much for the most users here. And there is no easy way to install, configure and maintenance a server.
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
swift-au
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Of course, every now and then we do get new users trying to make a commercial MP game with it even after you explain this to them. (Usually people also don't understand how difficult it would be to retain a community of players if you release an obscure indie MP game, no matter the engine)"

Who's talking commercial games? Has anyone even made a successful non-MP commercial game with GG? The point is that it's not realistic to require your friends to purchase a copy of GG just to play a simple MP map. If regular games can be distributed stand-alone, then surely it's not rocket science to add basic MP support for stand-alone games.
PM
Incenseman2003
Years of Service
User Offline
Stand alone multiplayer, it seems, is one of the carrots that TGC keeps dangling so people will keep buying the next big thing from them.
Windows 7pro 64bit
Intel I7
20GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Stand alone multiplayer, it seems, is one of the carrots that TGC keeps dangling so people will keep buying the next big thing from them."

From what i have seen of Max so far i think the last thing on most peoples minds are the MP side of things.
Most i think would happily pay without any MP whatsoever as there is so much more tempting things on offer
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:20:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:20:06