Showcase / Virtual Firing Range 1.0.0 (Stable Release)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2020 00:25 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2020 00:49
UPDATE: This version of the game has been scrapped. See the newer, work in progress version of it called Virtual Firing Range: Reloaded.

-NR

*EDIT: Grammar
Specs:
Building a new PC at the moment, so coming soon...

Some of the games I've made with GameGuru:

Websites:
Nerf Rhett Games: nerf-rhett-games.mozello.com
Outlaw Software: outlawsoftware.mozello.com
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2020 02:59 Edited at: 20th Jun 2020 03:01
Quote: "* Weapons are old FPSC Model Pack 6 weapons, which have no ADS support (except for the MSG90, or the H30A1 Marksman in VFR)"

You can fix that in gunspec.

Neat little project, I'll try it out sometime around the weekend and let you know what I think.

Although one thing stood out: its bordering on satire ever calling a game guru game photorealistic, so I'd not advise you to do that. But look at that screenshot. Its a blue sky, yet dark and muddy visually that you can sorta make out the silhouette of a tank in front of 2 very unconvincing low poly industrial buildings. Its the worst screenshot of them all, and you chose it to advertise PBR rendering and "photorealistic" graphics. I'd just remove that pic entirely.

-Wolf
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2020 19:33
Hey, I just tried it.

Well, first of all, if I launch the game via the desktop shortcut, I get an error message on loading and spawn under water.

I launched the game via the main exec and it ran fine.

Visually its okay, albeit a bit bare bones. The weapons room is pretty cool though. You could really increase the brightness because its overall very somber and I think thats a bit distracting from the range firing gimmick you got going. Firing weapons also makes the shadows glitch out (disappear) which is especially distracting when firing silenced weapons.

I appreciate that you added new sounds but they are somehow worse than the default ones these weapons come with. They are mastered a bit odd and stand out. You should replace the crosshairs because I can see a greyscale block around them.

The MP6 weapons seem to be implemented from the vanilla FPSC pack and need some gunspec adjustments. Mainly gunlag because they are just stiffly attached to the camera with no motion feedback when turning around. This is an easy fix.
A bit harder to fix are some sound issues. For example, standing still with the MP5 variants plays the fire sound.

Also with a gun range game, your target audience are fire arm enthusiasts... that means the weapons should behave like their real world counterparts which they don't. For example, swapping a magazine plays a full reload cycle even if there is still a round in the chamber. You can use the advanced weapons dlc or older media by errant AI. Errant AI usually takes great care to make sure his weapons behave like real guns mechanically which is a must have for a gun range game.

I noticed some basic shading on the weapons, but there don't seem to be proper PBR maps that you advertise. The hands have a slight metallic shimmer to them, the guns don't and normalmapping seems to be non existant. So combining and overhauling the shader maps is a must do. Here is a tutorial on some basics if this is new stuff to ya: LINK

I've shown that PBR realism screenshot above to a few other 3d artists and they either thought it was a bad joke or just sad, so... just remove that?

All in all, I think its not that bad, you took your time with some custom content which I applaud but as it stands it seems to be more of an alpha than a finished game. At least to me

-Wolf
Nerf Rhett Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2020 03:18 Edited at: 28th Jun 2020 04:33
@Wolf
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I need to adjust a lot of things. As I said, most (if not all) of these problems will be addressed in the sequel, as this is my first game made with GG. Keep in mind my PC (at the moment) can hardly run Google Chrome or even Firefox without some problems.
However, my efforts are mainly focused on building a better PC and dealing with some IRL stuff, although I have purchased MP9/10 and the EWP DLCs by EAImedia. In fact, I think I might even do a complete (much required) overhaul, I'll PM you if I do. For now, it's put on the back burner. I'll take what you said into account. Expect better in the future.

-NR
Edit: Forgot to mention something.
Specs:
Building a new PC at the moment, so coming soon...

Some of the games I've made with GameGuru:

Websites:
Nerf Rhett Games: nerf-rhett-games.mozello.com
Outlaw Software: outlawsoftware.mozello.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 19:14:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 19:14:05