Work In Progress / Art Of Survival (First steps)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2020 21:37 Edited at: 10th Mar 2020 01:33
Aims:
- mine stones and count naturally (per stroke)
- Random stones are spawned again
- All in one script (per stone)

I am an absolute survival crafting game fan and so I try a game of this kind.
It should work like e.g. Rust experimental. I know there will be a problem here and there which is probably not possible in GG. But I am confident and I also pre-ordered Game Guru Max, where there may be even more options. That means I have plenty of time and try here and there to implement all the techniques that my role model offers.

First of all: I don't want to imitate Rust Experimental, but such a small crafting survival game is a good challenge because it contains everything that could possibly be used for other games.

Why am I posting this here?
- I want to reach people who might be able to give me tips when things get really difficult, because without your help here in the forum, I wouldn't have anything.
- I want to be part of the community and help myself where I can.
- I post all the progress in this thread and always show what I tried and how it was solved.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2020 12:46
Klingt doch gut.

Allerdings müssen Projekt Threads hier auf Englisch gehalten werden, sonst müsst ich es in die deutsche Unterkategorie setzen.
Wenn du es also rasch übersetzen könntest, währ ich dir sehr verbunden

-Wolf
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2020 01:35
Thank you for translating your post

Good luck with the project. By the way, if you set the value "isimmobile = 1" to your stones, they will not slide/move when you spawn them.
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2020 20:38 Edited at: 15th Mar 2020 07:41
The task was:
- Chasing an animal
- Loot the animal (get meat)
- Animal spawns again when looted

Update 20200314-2124:
Animals (in this case a hare) can be hunted and killed.
The animal can be looted with a tool. (Get meat)
The animal will spawn again after it is fully looted.
In this test, the spawn range is of course very low to demonstrate. This applies to all entities like the stones and the wooden pallets.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2020 19:23
Looks like a solid start already
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2020 18:58 Edited at: 26th Mar 2020 19:23
The task was:
- Reduce the code and optimize
- Make the inventory HUD
- Insert an entity to collect

Update 20200326-1927:
The first insight with Invetar-HUD. Added fiber to collect. ... the next goal is the crafting HUD.
Alle scripts makes very smaller and more efficient. All lootable objects spawn dynamically. Place one or more objects next to the PlayerStart. Now when starting the game they are distributed on the map. If an object is looted, it will automatically spawn on the map again.

The next goal:
- Begin with Crafting-HUD
- Interact with Recipes
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool work. Nice project.
I like the simplified and deserty environment.
I miss my western deserts!
PM
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
A Little Preview
- Get Objekt from 'Crafting Menu' (Crafting Menu not realy existent. I am now work on it)
- the possibility to place in the world
- Rotate with Mousewheel

Just a quick demonstration. What it could look like if you e.g. Crafted the house and would like to place it as desired. With the mouse wheel you can turn the house into the desired position. The object adapts to the terrain. So you can be exactly where the place is perfect so that there are no corners of the floor free on uneven terrain etc. (Please do not look at the map, look at what I click to bring out the house) ... yes I click a stone, lol. The crafting menu is still at an early stage and is still very much in the works.
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW very inspirational
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Crafting system is making progress
- Workbench script with multiple functions (some functions on work now)
- Recipes is not showing in this video, but it works finaly.
- many optimizations on the script. Getting very smaller and more efficient. This is very important when the many items are added later.

I am an absolute newcomer to LUA. But I'm trying. I've already noticed that LUA doesn't make it easy for me. But so far I've always found a way, even if this means that I have to deviate a little from my goal in the future. Even the smallest tasks that I want are difficult to choose.
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2020 18:07
Very impressive!!!!
Cool work
The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, keyshot, palettecad, Kerkythea, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles,leadwerks, s2game engine.......in the next future blender
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Apr 2020 01:18
When you save a game does it save where you've placed your shelter?
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2020 17:01 Edited at: 9th Apr 2020 17:01
GG - New Inventar HUD Routine
- new optimized Inventar Hud Script
- test save statement

- very dynamical
- ready for tousend of items , LOL

The new Invetar HUD script is very dynamic. For each item, only one line has to be integrated, it is already fully integrated. The script is quite small and very efficient for the 45 item spaces. If it really starts, I don't think I need 45 item places, but later in the game you can increase your carrying capacity with different backpacks or bags, so I need this experience for that.

To Spaceworm: I tested memory status and it works.

I am glad that I registered here and use Game Guru. Many are very friendly here and help me with their examples and texts.

I hope that everything is translated correctly here at Google Translate. Otherwise I'm done
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
cool .. the inventory system works even between levels?
do you plan to share something or or sale something on the store?
PC 2 Specs:
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
PM
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, all the relevanted stuff works between Levels in the Future. The Map in GG for now is not big. Maybe i make a second. I use the Levelsystem. You Start a Game and play. When you rich a specified point, the game loads the next level. When you turn around and rich a specified point you come in the Level bevor, all new Data goes with you. (hope my bad English is enough)

No, i have no plan to share or sale script at the moment. Im on Start
I have my ideas from this forum here, like SmallG, AmenMose, GTOX, Lafette, Wolf etc.
all this Members are the real Creators. I read many Scripts and learn what about LUA.

The Invetory and all other Scripts Optimized again, and its now perfect enought. All bugs shown in the videos beovr are fixed and now at the morning today, i started with the Level MAP. It is a realy hard work and cost a lot of time. But I have time and do what i can.

Over the past few weeks, I've been thinking a lot about how the game should go. A bit of survival, a little DayZ feeling, a very little bit RPG and many other little features to make the game interesting. I hope GameGuru MAX will make things a little easier. Let's wait and see.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2020 09:54
This is all extremely impressive - well done! The inventory system, the placing of structures, the fact that it all works with Game Guru's save/load system...beautiful

My only notes for improvement are minor gripes.
- The rocks move when you hit them. Make sure you set them to immobile.
- Using the pickaxe to gather food from that poor rabbit is a bit unrealistic. Wrong tool for the job, maybe try a knife?

I am following this project with great interest!

AE
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Stones and objects are movable:
It looks very realistic if the stones sometimes shake when you hit it. If I generally switch on immobility, the stones are completely motionless. I just want to make sure that the objects always remain in place. I still have to insert this, should only change a little bit in the code. Then let's see how it looks.

Pixhacke for rabbits:
Yes i know this is unfair That will change

Thank you for the tip, I will do it if there is no other way. A lot has changed since the last stand. Many bugs have been fixed.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 13th Apr 2020 21:46
It’s a great start - looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers.

GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER PassMark: 14817
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2020 15:06 Edited at: 25th Apr 2020 15:07
Changes:
- Completely rewrite the HUD and Crafting system
- reducing scriptcode and many fixes done
- Category level done

I think I'm slowly getting closer to what I want. It's still a big way but it starts. This should only be a small preview before I show a video with status display and the skill system. Have a nice weekend
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2020 16:45 Edited at: 25th Apr 2020 16:48
SIMPLY magnific

really would to have your skills
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 26th Apr 2020 00:53
EXCELLENT! You're off to a great start here! Well done!
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you JC LEON and SpaceWurm. I always know, its a long way. But i do my best to bring my work to an end.
Scripting makes 25% of work. The Mapdesign (leveldesign) is a bigger work and cost lot of money.
In the future i need my own specificaly 3D Models (Buildings, food, ressources and all what a Survival game has)
I will search for a 3D Model designer, it will do that for me and i can use it in my game. That would be great if everything works as I imagine and if I don't run out of money, lol.
I will certainly use most of GG's models but there is not everything I would like.

JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
one question.. due to your craft system i suppose there is a way to spawn items on levels directly by lua... i nevewr cannot manage to figure this and this prevented me to create a compelte and fully inventory system that works between levels..
how did you manage to make inventory items t obe carried over levles?
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2020 19:05 Edited at: 29th Apr 2020 14:12
At the moment I am only working on the scripts. I know what the game should look like and based on the possibilities of GG I have to be more or less forced to set up the game on my possibilities. It should also not be too complicated. So I'm currently only working in one level. But before that I tried what I can do to overcome certain limits. As far as I have learned, it is not possible to subsequently add objects to the game. So all objects that you want to have in the game must already exist (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've tried a few things and they seem to have worked. I will work with several levels later. Each level contains the same objects so that they are available everywhere. I always try to take data about a file to the other level. Each level has its own file to save the status and to read again when entering. I cannot say yet whether this will work on a larger scale, as I will need it later, or whether I am still looking through it.

ps:
I edited this post again because my statement was not well worded. I can't really give any tips because I am a beginner myself.
AndyLeecher
Years of Service
User Offline
Changes:
- New Weapon and Status HUD
- Integrate the slot HUD
- Weapon status directly show on the slot hud

I will change the style of my first project a bit. I have to constantly adapt the strategy to the possibilities of GG by the way I present my current project. At some point I would come to the conclusion that my project actually has nothing to do with "survival crafting .. blah blah blah" and certainly not with "Open World". So why not change the way and on top of that, I also make it easier for myself. I am currently playing "Half Life Alyx VR" and recently it was "Last of us". I really like to play "Metro" and that would be a kind of game worth watching. I have very good ideas for this and have recently gathered a lot of stuff and to make this a reality.

Before I start, however, I would like to try a few more things and use this thread to show these experiments.
Loretta
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Generation Zero; Skyrim SE , Fallout 4, In VR- Pistol Whip,
Posted: 14th May 2020 19:23
Very Nice, Looks Great!
AndyLeecher!
ASUS ROG G20- Desktop Intel Core i7-6700 -3.4Ghz - 16GB Memory - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB - Windows 10 64bit
Alienware M15 Laptop i7-8750H, GTX 1070 Max Q
VR : Samsung Hmd Odyssey WMR, ,Oculus Quest and 2 Oculus Gos
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2020 10:28
Cool work man! Looking to see more

Liebe Grüße

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:55:43