Product Chat / About GGMax

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2020 16:49
Off topic still, so sorry folks, but *all* my problems were with shop bought machines with Win10 preinstalled.
There was a discussion on the Windows forums about M/S dropping support for lots of hardware. Clobbered one of my machines for playing RPGWorld. 6 months later - no intervening RPGWorld updates and it's working fine.

My Acer laptop died mid update because the M/S techies in their wisdom didn't check available space requirements for an update and at that time update would only use the C drive. Thankfully an M/S support exec was able to reinstate things.

It was a different story for my MSI laptop which completely lost it's O/S with no way to recover without buying another copy of Win10.

My MSI desktop was turned into a very expensive brick and sits there , in the corner of the office to this day. I *will* not give M/S another red cent.

So yes - if I could identify the staff involved I would like to reconfigure them. Hate? Oh yes.

But I now have a set of working machines - all Win10 - and I like it - nearly as much as I like XP
You can't teach an old dog.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 19th Feb 2020 17:00
Quote: "It was a different story for my MSI laptop which completely lost it's O/S with no way to recover without buying another copy of Win10."

No idea how that could have happened unless you had catastrophic hardware failure, Win10 doesn't use keys like other versions of windows, it snapshots your hardware, then when you install it again it checks that to grant you access to windows, only way i can think of that not working any more is if your bios has had a major failure and wiped itself.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2020 00:58
Win10 is storing the key in the uefi bios.
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2020 11:33
Thanks for the heads up @synchromesh, have found and downloaded. Excellent!

Anyone else - I know this is neither a tech support nor XP forum, but just in case a knowledgeable soul is around - I just tried to Ghost my XP drive and Ghost, having stuck a new partition in the middle of my main partition, installed PC Dos into it, set it's new partition as bootable, then gave up. I'm left with a PC that boots to PC Dos, and despite offering, won't revert to Windows. Am I right in thinking if I delete the PC Dos partition and set the original partition as bootable I'll be okay?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Did you make a partition first or did ghost make it? I always used a second drive for it not sure what use a ghosted image would be on the same drive. Also makes it easier to get back to windows if it fails. If you can make the main partition bootable, I'd do that first then delete the partition from windows.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2020 21:17 Edited at: 20th Feb 2020 21:19
Now that sounds like sound advice DVader - so long as Windows doesn't trip over the overlaid partition.

No - I didn't make the partition. I cannot think how I could. Certainly not through any application I have.

I'll give it a go. It surely won't make anything worse.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Disk Management has all the options to create and manage partitions Just be careful you choose the right one. Used to build and repair PC's as part of my job, so used Ghost a fair bit, been awhile now though.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No - I didn't make the partition. I cannot think how I could. Certainly not through any application I have."

as dvader says, you don't need any special software, windows can do it for you - just type disk manager into your start bar and it'll bring up the option
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2020 23:50
I built my first PC in 1988. I built my last one in 2002. It's been a long time since I p* about with such low level stuff, much has changed and confidence has waned.
Would I trust Windows with low level disk management after the s* Microsoft have dealt me in the last few years? Absolutely. Not.
Testdisk I trust.
If I don't post again then the worst has happened and I have lost a long-time friend. Sob. Sob.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
If you have your windows disk you may be able to repair it from that as well.

I've used windows to partition drives for years, never had an issue btw. I wouldn't worry about using it myself.
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2020 15:30
Success. Happy boy.
Now if I can just get my dead Win7 and Win98 desktop's going again. . .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 00:28:28
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 00:28:28