Product Chat / How to make a residential area

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
so for my next game, i want to make like a suburban area like a neighborhood or maybe even a full-fledged city. i have the buildings DLC (the only DLC i have so far) but i notice how there arent any roads or sidewalks, what assets can i use to make a residential area and how would i go about to doing so?
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2020 19:40
Try Belidos pack here

https://www.tgcstore.net/pack/10957
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2020 10:52
If you own megapack 3, you should find a collection named "urban" to get you started. Its quite alright to work with photos once you do this.
Keep in mind that most model pack buildings have a large variety in appearance ranging from almost post apocalyptic to brand new looking. You will need to retexture them to work with your chosen look. A bit of colour correction should do the trick.

Below you will see some city scenes I have made, you can see buildings in the background that are all just simple boxes using a single texture, that way you can create the illusion of a whole city around the player without losing any performance. Its also a good starting point to learn modeling if you haven't already as modern architecture with its cubic look is just a great place to get started.

Notice that if you use concrete sidewalks and roads you can deactivate the terrain and water using the "goinside.lua" script around the start marker (with a zone) and gain a significant FPS boost. Now you can create large cities without worrying about FPS drops.

If you want buildings to light up, duplicate it and ...in your chosen art program... brighten up the windows in the diffuse texture and be sure to add an emissive map.

Here are some examples of cities I made:

Hope this helped and please don't hesitate to post if you have more questions!

Cheers!

-Wolf
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 14th Feb 2020 21:53
I had developed an entire suburban neighborhood (three times!!!) in another engine.

Screenshots are on the Discord server for Skyline engine. I'll see if I can find any here.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.atomiccatinteractive.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 00:23:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 00:23:58