Product Chat / Directional fire in 3rd Person view

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2020 11:05
I just wonder when we will get this little feature.
Directional fire, if we would be able to fire in the direction in which the player character looks at the moment, we could create 2.5D action games with the 3rd Person camera.
This would add another great genre to the engine, which will be possible with GG.

Come on Lee....
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Ye I was doing concept demos back in 2015 and asked about it then.
It would be fun but although it sounds simple I think it may be a coding nightmare.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2020 12:35
But it would add a complete new genre to GG, sidescrollibg run and gun games, something like Contra.
Perfect for hobby and indie developers like us.... and others which don’t use GG yet.
PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2020 14:01
@MooKai I agree with you . I too ask for this back when I got the camera to lock for a side view game. But ever since we got that git hub bug fix website I stop asking for features for a more complete third person set up. I have been unhappy with this engine for a long time. Instead of going on a rant about third person I just let it go. plus it didn't help back then when I email Lee about a feature for third person and he told me to ask the forum for help. I was done after that and felt it was very unprofessional to get such a reply back. Little features like this are not that difficult to add to a feature that we already have. to me it's more like completing the third person than adding something new to the engine. I feel third person has been stared with basic features but needs to be complete with all the features that is needed to make it complete. even the first person side is more complete compare to the third person. I don't understand why Lee can just work on it instead of us having to ask for it. the people who want the third person to be completed should not have to wait this long for a feature we already have that is incomplete. We are not asking for too much. I personally don't care for any other features like VR. Because I don't see how Lee can add on another feature without completing the third person first. GameGuru will just be a game engine with incomplete features. like the stand alone builder which Fps creator game builder is more complete than GameGuru. I rather have the same stand alone set up like the one in Fps creator that can allow you to build all your levels at once and not this one level at a time crap. I'm using this as an example to get my point across that there should be no more new feature added until the features we already have is complete.

list incomplete
third person
standalone game builder
lightmap
dynamic light system
projectile system

I'm not going to name a lot of things, want to stay on topic. but this is just an example of what I mean. I would like GameGuru 2020 to be the year of more complete features we already have and most importantly a more complete third person.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It would be fun but although it sounds simple I think it may be a coding nightmare."

it's the same logic as this thread so ask amen
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2020 21:15
yes, I saw the video there... thats why my old idea of a 2.5D jum'n run / gun & run came back to my mind.
the engine is fast enough for a pretty 2.5D game ... only problem is the shooting direction.... too bad its not possible with the uncomplete 3rd person cam feature. (and ah maybe a missing hiscore counter...)
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you thinking actual platform game or isometric like Amen's demo ?
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2020 17:43
Yes, a platformer, I’ve created topdown shooters before.
Works ok (you can not change the weapon...) but a platformer with the view from the side & shooting in the direction where the player walks is not possible at the moment. A jump‘n run without shooting ok, but Contra clone, nope.... that little feature would give us access to a complete new genre....
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2020 18:54 Edited at: 30th Jan 2020 20:26
Pretty sure You might be able to fake it via scripting but no matter which view angle GameGuru is still first a person engine and will always shoot forward of the player view which is why I don't think this is an easy little feature as I also thought back then.
Its just a camera with gun sights

Or DVaders excellent little Demo could be done now quite easily now.

PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2020 11:32
I remember your video.
Yes, I know that we can create platformers, but only without shooting....
But without it, it’s like something is missing. Even in Giana sisters u can shoot a fireball...
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
I see... put some invisible walls in Dvader technique... ?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 00:31:42
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 00:31:42