Product Chat / Light shine through walls and lightmap issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2020 23:58 Edited at: 9th Jan 2020 23:58
Im sorry to bother again, but i got this strange issue where the light source is shining through the walls. lightmap fixes the problem and it wont shine through, but then i got this stutter/lag issue when i look around. I first thought it could be the GPU (Nvidia GTX970) so today i purchased a GTX 2060 and still got the same issue.

some one else experienced issues with lag when lightmapping?
is there a way too keep dynamic light inside the building?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2020 07:32
Dynamic lights do not get lightmapped and currently do not cast shadows (so therefore won't be stopped by walls etc.). Lightmapping is the process of pre-calculating where light should fall and what should cast shadows. In order to make these calculations, a game engine has to assume your lights are static and do not move/change, that's why it has to ignore dynamic lights (which can be scripted to move and/or change). You should try setting your lights to static (right click on them in the editor, it's one of the first parameters in the properties panel on the left) if you want them to be included in the lightmapping. Once you have lightmapped your level, you will need to exit test game, save your level, and restart Game Guru to see how it looks in your level.

However, a word of warning; Game Guru's lightmapper can currently best be described as 'finicky'. Under the right conditions, it is possible to get shadows and atmospheric lighting, but it often conflicts with settings needed to make dynamic lights and sunlight work properly. It's also heavily dependent on the exact media within your level, the textures used, and even the thickness of the walls.

Hopefully we can look forward to updates to Game Guru's lighting system in 2020. For me it's still one of the most fundamental drawbacks of Game Guru.

AE

magicmolecules
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your reply, i found that spotlight may work for me in this case
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:05:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:05:02