Product Chat / [SOLVED] ARPG style game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes i have no coding skills but am wondering if this game engine can make games like diablo 3 path of exile and Grim Dawn without any coding at all?

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2020 00:02
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
No.

For a game like that you will need to do quite a bit of coding in LUA.
DoomTucan
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh okay...well thanks for the answer!
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2020 09:58 Edited at: 9th Jan 2020 16:55
for any type of game you need to code ..every engine ...every game... a game cant be created without coding...
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2020 14:39 Edited at: 9th Jan 2020 14:50
I've attempted this but its honestly way too much into mechanics that will take a lot of time away from your game designing. I still poke at this system once and a while, however it is very flawed as in Game Guru it is very difficult to get the 2D mouse pointer to interact exactly with the 3D plane points when you start messing about with different camera angles.

So while its possible, its a lot of work. You can however use 3rd person mode and just put the camera distance far enough away. But if you want the same controls as Diablo that are primarily with the mouse you are going to find yourself with a lot of headaches. Especially when testing in different resolutions. Game Guru uses a percentage-of-screen system instead of pixels.

The tests below I have do not use the player at all. Not even the 3rd person controller. Its a complete override and its still very glitchy and unpredictable at present:

It has a working 2D mouse that I can use to interact with 2D sprites such as inventory, status screen and item belt. However the interactions with the map with the cursor dont work well at all and start to warp when you position the pointer near the top or sides of the screen. I am just not that good at math to create a formula to create the proper calculations of the warped numbers in those regions of the screen.

I could however make it so the player moves in the direction of the 3D mouse position. But to get him to move with AI to the exact position and around obstacles is just too hard without a better 2d to 3d position support. There are some people testing with this on the forums, however mostly in first person.

For me to advance that the system any further, I'd need some more internal support with the engine. Doing work arounds has taken away a lot from of my life experiences lol as I find myself putting in weeks to months of work, just to make something incredibly simple to do in Unity, to work barely in GG. The engine just isn't designed for this style of play (yet).

HOWEVER!

Now here is some exciting news for you. As I mentioned before you could use the 3rd person and just extend the camera distance out. It would require no programming to do this. However you wont get those awesome 2d to 3d mouse interactions.

Some community examples of this below:

Its important to note that (i dont think) Game Guru doesn't support swapping of different weapons in 3rd person. So... having weapon pick ups would be completely useless. This might change in future versions of GG.
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2020 15:28
Amazing stuff T!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:27:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:27:58