Feature Creep / 2020 feature "wishlist"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2019 18:44
With TGC hinting at a major update coming in 2020, I thought I'd make a sort of "wishlist" to discuss features I would like to see added to GG, and see what you guys think. And hey, maybe they'll see the most agreed-upon features here and add them

1: Animation blending (I think right now it's awkward how characters "snap" from idle straight to running. Being able to smoothly blend between animations like other engines I think would work wonders on modernizing how characters look in action!)

2: Inverse kinematics (It's also weird how you can stand on a hill or building, and the AI will look level with the ground and still somehow shoot up at you, lol. I think giving them IK for their torso, arms, and head so they can look around a bit to face the player would look much better )

3: Better/standalone multiplayer (I think TGC have already hinted at this with their Christmas update, so I'm really excited to see what exactly they do! I would especially love to be able to add Co-Op, so you can play through a campaign level with 2 or more players )

4: Carry weapons/ammo between levels (You could probably do this via scripting, but it would be nice to have it as a built-in feature )

5: A "What you see is what you get" GUI/Hud editor (This would probably take a lot of effort, but creating custom HUDs/Guis is a PAIN in current GG, especially trying to get it to scale/look good on multiple different screen resolutions )

6: For something like AmenMoses' particle tester to become an official feature! (Seriously, that thing is so useful, I'm surprised that GG doesn't have any kind of built-in visual particle editor!)

So, those are my most wanted features in GG right now. Everything else I found I wanted/needed for my levels I could script myself, or someone on the forums has beat me to it!
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Dec 2019 08:38 Edited at: 30th Dec 2019 08:40
Quote: "3: Better/standalone multiplayer (I think TGC have already hinted at this with their Christmas update, so I'm really excited to see what exactly they do! I would especially love to be able to add Co-Op, so you can play through a campaign level with 2 or more players )"

It's not just a hint, we're getting w hole new multiplayer system which uses a third party system to host game.

Quote: "4: Carry weapons/ammo between levels (You could probably do this via scripting, but it would be nice to have it as a built-in feature )"

Weapons and ammo between levels is already in and default, in fact a command was added recently so that if ammo and weapons being carried over isn't wanted they could run the command to clear out the weapons and ammo.

Quote: "6: For something like AmenMoses' particle tester to become an official feature! (Seriously, that thing is so useful, I'm surprised that GG doesn't have any kind of built-in visual particle editor!)"

It is, or at least it should be from what i heard.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
fearlesswee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2019 00:11
Quote: "It's not just a hint, we're getting w hole new multiplayer system which uses a third party system to host game."

Ooh really? Not that I'm doubting you, but where did they mention this? I really want to learn more about this!

Quote: "Weapons and ammo between levels is already in and default, in fact a command was added recently so that if ammo and weapons being carried over isn't wanted they could run the command to clear out the weapons and ammo."

I haven't made a multi-level standalone for quite a while, so it's possible I just never noticed this being added! I recall seeing a Steam post where someone was asking about this feature, but it was probably outdated and I never noticed

Quote: "It is, or at least it should be from what i heard."

Awesome! I really like having more visual control over things, so it's not "tweak then test, tweak then test, tweak then test, rinse and repeat until desired results"
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2019 09:40
Quote: "Ooh really? Not that I'm doubting you, but where did they mention this? I really want to learn more about this! "

There's not much to learn, all we've been told is that, apparently they're using a third party system called proton or something, all the other information has been kept secret under an NDA.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Primary Laptop:

Secondary Laptop:
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2019 09:41
Quote: "Awesome! I really like having more visual control over things, so it's not "tweak then test, tweak then test, tweak then test, rinse and repeat until desired results" "

It may not have been added quite yet, but i'm pretty sure Amen said he had submitted it to TGC.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Primary Laptop:

Secondary Laptop:
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2019 18:25 Edited at: 31st Dec 2019 18:26
Quote: "all we've been told is that, apparently they're using a third party system called proton or something,"

photon..

Quote: "5: A "What you see is what you get" GUI/Hud editor (This would probably take a lot of effort, but creating custom HUDs/Guis is a PAIN in current GG, especially trying to get it to scale/look good on multiple different screen resolutions )"

good point
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
A "What you see is what you get" GUI/Hud editor

Some of the better scripters around here, could probably make some kind
of helper lua code for this in a few days or a couple weeks, that would show
you the locations and sizes you are aiming for. But TGC would have to put
it into stock GG engine. I've been sick, and keep getting sick after feeling a
little better, after working on something, so blehhh! My own little project is
going quite slow just recently. Moving on to conveyors...
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2020 01:01
Yeah,
No 5 - now that is the kind of thing I would love to see added. With Scirra's Construct 2 you can do this with one layer. Design it once, and it gets scaled to screen at runtime.

OldFlak....
aka Reliquia
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2020 11:19
I'd like to see upgrades to pathing:-
Named paths.
Enity assigned to follow a named path.
Path types, (follow once, back and forth, round and round).
Event triggered pathing, (perhaps using story zones)
Waypoint features:-
Dwell for a period
Trigger an animation
spawn an entity

I'd also like to have the capability of npc v npc, npc v foe, foe v foe combat.
You can't teach an old dog.
fearlesswee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2020 06:33
Those all do sound nice. Another feature I'd really like to add to this theoretical list is blood staining the environment, and the ability to tweak blood colors between individual characters. Blood staining the environment would add a nice bit of emphasis on the action and combat, and make the aftermath of a big fight look much cooler. As for blood colors, my game will have alien/mutant creatures, and it would be so nice to give them different blood colors.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:47:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:47:36