Off Topic / Laptop just for GG

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2019 17:57
Hi folks I've decided that it's time for me to get a new laptop so I can use GG without it running at below 30fps. My current laptop has a i3 processor and a 1gb Nvidia graphics card. Now I'm not wanting to split the atom, but I'm just curious what system would be able to run GG smoothly without the specs being intergalactic. I'm sure the recommended specs are i5 and a 2gb graphics card? If this correct then I can pick up an i5 with a 4gb Nvidia 1050 ti at a very low price. Like I say this will be used to run GG and nothing else as I don't play games at all, but I just want to make one complete game with GG as I've been with it from the days of FPSC.
Lenovo G700 Laptop,i3-6gb ram,Nvidia GT720m
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
what sort of frame rate are you wanting to achieve and how full is the level?
even if you aren't planning to play games as such GG is still going to require a lot of power from your computer as it needs to do a lot of work.
if you have a price range you could post that and maybe someone can help with some suggestions

i think laptops will always have a heat issue for longer sessions so definitely look at reviews before you buy but in terms of graphics you want to go for something above mid tier if possible (1070 is good, i have one in my PC for years now and it can still run modern games) and i5 is ok even if they're getting dated now (my i5 is currently my bottleneck in my system so keep that in mind depending how long you want the system to stay up to date for), the new cpus are coming out so you may even see a drop in price for the i7s if you wait a bit longer and the newer the cpu the better its power consumption is (generally speaking) so keep that in mind too when checking the battery life
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
KRivva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2019 17:39
What you should definitely look for is a laptop with a SSD.
PM
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2019 18:30
Hi thanks for the advice smallg, I'm looking to spend around £600-700. KRivva this laptop has a ssd drive as the one which came with it went kaput and I intend to take it out and put it in a usb caddy. But the new one will definitely have a ssd.
Lenovo G700 Laptop,i3-6gb ram,Nvidia GT720m
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2019 00:02 Edited at: 26th Nov 2019 00:09
ssd vs a high rpm sata are quite comparable imo (my windows 10 still boots in seconds on my 7200rpm sata drive) and you get way more space for your money with a sata drive - very important for laptops as you (mostly) only get 1 hdd, not saying SSD is bad, they're great, who doesn't want a super fast, silent & low power harddrive? but price and space isn't always worth the minor speed increase when you're limited - if you can find a good value SSD go for it but make sure you're happy with the storage size.

might be worth waiting for the cyber monday deals at least but for that budget you can definitely find a good laptop
some idea of the sort of spec you can get for that price range;
1. asus tuf (only a 5400rpm sata but gives the benefit of a ssd for windows and maybe any small programs you need to run fast and a bigger sata drive for other storage that is ok to run that bit slower)
2. acer nitro 5 (from what i can tell this is actually a 5400rpm 1TB sata so not the fastest)
you'll notice the 2 are AMD cpus - this is because they make cheaper cpus but you get more performance for your money (except gaming which tends to be slightly higher for intel cpus due to drivers / optimizations etc - it's where the big money is) but you said you won't really be using it for gaming so it shouldn't be an issue - we're still talking 60+fps on high here anyway.
lua guide for GG
windows 10
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 26th Nov 2019 05:56
I have the Acer Nitro 5, its a great laptop, its a little slow on initial boot up due to all the bloatware it comes with, but its a pretty powerful laptop, and handles gameguru really well.

Just need to remember that by default it wants to scale windows to 125% to give you bigger text and fonts and will only run gameguru using using the intel graphics while its scaled giving you a lower resolution than 1080, that drive me nuts until i figured out what was causing that

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
KRivva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2019 16:28
Quote: "ssd vs a high rpm sata are quite comparable imo"

I really made totally different experiences there.
Since I upgraded to SSD everything works so much faster, especially programs.
It also depends on the product you are using, for example some SSDs from Kingston don't reach the speed of Crucial or Samsung.
For saving files I use an external USB drive, so the SSD is only used for Windows, programs and games.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I really made totally different experiences there.
Since I upgraded to SSD everything works so much faster, especially programs."

i'm not doubting it if the hard drive is the bottleneck, SSD's are super quick but a 7200rpm hard drive is rarely the bottleneck in an average system, for me my CPU tends to be the limiting factor for loading times... i'm actually surprised those laptops have only 5400RPM drives though, the difference between a 5400 and an SSD is indeed huge
lua guide for GG
windows 10
KRivva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2019 20:02
I would also recommend to check if the display has neutral colors.
My brother bought a 1000 Dollar Asus laptop for video editing with After Effects and the colors are really a pain, extremely bluish.
He always needs to check on another screen and make corrections...
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
That sounds more like a fault with the laptop, never heard of them having a tint on purpose, is it a feature?
I know TVs can be changed but why would anyone want a blue tint to their monitor... It causes the exact problem you describe..
Is the other screen/monitor being plugged into the laptop directly and the picture colour there is fine? If it's not a feature (that you can toggle) maybe it's a bad ribbon cable connection to the laptop's screen?
lua guide for GG
windows 10
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 27th Nov 2019 06:30 Edited at: 27th Nov 2019 06:32
Most modern monitors, especially gaming monitors have settings for that, i find with most monitors you have to go through their built in menus (usually accessible from a button on the monitor) and adjust them because they're all slightly different at factory settings. Not sure how its done on laptops.

I use two monitors on my pc and with them side by side you can really see a difference, one us really vibrant the other is quite dark, I've got them as clise as possible but its still a clearvdifference.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
KRivva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2019 17:03
Quote: "Is the other screen/monitor being plugged into the laptop directly and the picture colour there is fine? If it's not a feature (that you can toggle) maybe it's a bad ribbon cable connection to the laptop's screen?
"

I think he just copies his videos onto a USB stick and watches it on a TV.
At first I thought of an Eye Protection Mode or similar but couldn't find anything to turn that off.
I will try to solve this soon. I read some Amazon reviews where people were also complaining about the screen.

Quote: "I use two monitors on my pc and with them side by side you can really see a difference, one us really vibrant the other is quite dark, I've got them as clise as possible but its still a clearvdifference."

Yeah, every monitor has a different color space. You could try one of these little calibrators you can put onto your screen, like SpyderX Pro.
I'll see what I can do about the laptop settings...
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:24:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:24:37