A First Person Post Apocalyptic Survival Game
Nuclear Winter takes place in the not too distant future after a nuclear war. The world as we knew it has changed. It's now cold. Very cold. You are seemingly the sole survivor, as you struggle to live in the new hostile frozen world.
You will need to pay close attention to your needs, to prevent dehydrating, freezing, or starving to death. As you search the world for resources while trying to stay warm you must also be wary of predators.
- Its a cold world and you will need to stay warm in order to ensure survival. You can find shelter or craft campfires to stay warm. The colder the player gets the blurrier the vision and negative effects to your stamina and health will persist the colder you get, leading to hypothermia.
- The player will require food to survive. This means if you can't find any food, you will need to hunt prey and harvest their meat. This means that you will need to cook your meat or risk catching parasites and diseases.
- You will require water to survive and prevent yourself from dehydration. While you can drink from local water sources, you may want to consider boiling the water first to prevent catching parasites.
- As you venture throughout the world your stamina will begin to drop. Sleep will replenish your stamina. Allowing you to run and jump and do the physical tasks easier.
- Your health is affected by injuries, disease, parasites, starvation, hypothermia, and dehydration. To regain health you will need to take care of your needs.
- Your stamina will generally always regain on its own unless your needs are very low and you simply don't have enough energy. You will require sleep each day to ensure your stamina regeneration can take place. Try not to overexert yourself or else you will have difficulties catching prey or fleeing from predators.
- If you are in a radioactive area, you may be exposed to radiation. Radiation will have negative effects to your stamina and health overtime for a long period of time. Even after having left the radioactive zone.
- If you happen to contract parasites, your stamina or health may be negatively effected. Depending on what type of parasite you have, you may even find that you are more hungry than usual or more thirsty.
- Diseases have prolonged negative effects to your needs and status. Most of them are not curable. Its wise to always cook your meat and avoid injuries from predators.
If you happen to get severely injured by a predator or a bad fall, you may end up with internal bleeding. If this occurs, you are at great risk of losing health for several hours. You will require cattail grass to counter the effect and stop the bleeding.
- External Bleeding mostly occurs when you are scraped deep enough by predators. Essentially if a predator with sharp clothes or teeth inflicts a critical attack on you. These types of wounds can be healed with the appropriate resources, but if left untreated, you may attract more predators such as bears, from great distances.
- If you are wet by being under the rain too long or decided to go for a swim, you have a higher chance of catching hypothermia during freezing temperatures. In general when you are wet your stamina is slightly effected negatively. You can get dry over time or by staying near open fire.
- If your thirst is too high, you will become dehydrated which will negatively effect your stamina and possibly health.
- If you don't eat enough food, you will start to lose health over time or your ability to regain health. There are different kinds of leftover food from civilization to be found but with resources low, you will be required to hunt to fill your stomach.
- You require sleep in order to regain your stamina. If you are too tired your stamina bar will no longer regenerate. If you don't sleep for days on end, it's possible you will even "blackout". If this occurs you will collapse on the ground and be forced to sleep for several hours.
- You can create campfires ANYWHERE in the world. However, if it's raining the fire will not catch and during snow, it will not last long. Same if it's too windy. IF you craft a fire under a canopy the fire will last longer and not be affected by the weather. You will require sticks and stones to create a well-fortified campfire. You can reignite it with the appropriate resources such as tinder.
- If you find ice on top of a lake, you can dig a fishing hole and then craft a fishing rod to catch fish.
- Wolves generally always travel in packs. So you must be very careful if you see one because there is most likely others that have already detected your presence and are trying to flank you.
- Bears are solitary creatures and if you happen to see one, you should avoid it at all cost. As they are brutally strong and can most likely outrun you.
- Deer are the prime source for food by both the player and the predators.
- Preyed on by all and the easiest prey to hunt.
- Fish can only be harvested by fishing. There are several different types of fish that can be caught such as trout.
- You will occasionally encounter different kinds of birds, such as geese.
Nuclear Winter features a complete night and day system with periodically changing random weather. The time of day and type of weather has all kinds of effects on the environment. Predators and prey also have their own behaviors depending on the weather and time of day.
Combat Tech Video Demo (ignore Skyrim place holder UI and SFX)
Whenever an animal dies it will actually respawn over a period of time if harvested or if ignored and far enough away from the player's vision. This state is considered decomposition. When the animals respawn such as wolves, for instance, they will respawn with varying sizes, speed and behaviors. You may even encounter wolves that are injured or alone exiled from packs.
I am currently building a randomized spawn location system that will respawn animals at various nest sites and it will be completely randomized to prevent predictive respawn patterns. Also means you could be playing the game for over an hour without seeing a predator such as a bear. Or even the possibility of walking into the presence of two bears!
Collectables such as plants will respawn depending on the species of plant, referencing the global calendar. This is being perfected so that the players cannot cheat by resting to fast forward plant regrowth. Additionally, re-working the fatigue meter to prevent abusing the system to respawn resources. If the player is not tired, you cannot sleep.
Website Coming Soon (With Alpha Download!)
(This initial post may change as the game continues to develop and change)
Store Assets - Store Link
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960