Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2019 15:47 Edited at: 20th Nov 2019 19:48
Nuclear Winter

A First Person Post Apocalyptic Survival Game
By T-Bone

Nuclear Winter takes place in the not too distant future after a nuclear war. The world as we knew it has changed. It's now cold. Very cold. You are seemingly the sole survivor, as you struggle to live in the new hostile frozen world.

You will need to pay close attention to your needs, to prevent dehydrating, freezing, or starving to death. As you search the world for resources while trying to stay warm you must also be wary of predators.

Needs

Warmth - Its a cold world and you will need to stay warm in order to ensure survival. You can find shelter or craft campfires to stay warm. The colder the player gets the blurrier the vision and negative effects to your stamina and health will persist the colder you get, leading to hypothermia.
Hunger - The player will require food to survive. This means if you can't find any food, you will need to hunt prey and harvest their meat. This means that you will need to cook your meat or risk catching parasites and diseases.
Thirst - You will require water to survive and prevent yourself from dehydration. While you can drink from local water sources, you may want to consider boiling the water first to prevent catching parasites.
Fatigue - As you venture throughout the world your stamina will begin to drop. Sleep will replenish your stamina. Allowing you to run and jump and do the physical tasks easier.

Status

Health - Your health is affected by injuries, disease, parasites, starvation, hypothermia, and dehydration. To regain health you will need to take care of your needs.
Stamina - Your stamina will generally always regain on its own unless your needs are very low and you simply don't have enough energy. You will require sleep each day to ensure your stamina regeneration can take place. Try not to overexert yourself or else you will have difficulties catching prey or fleeing from predators.

Negative Effects

Radiation - If you are in a radioactive area, you may be exposed to radiation. Radiation will have negative effects to your stamina and health overtime for a long period of time. Even after having left the radioactive zone.
Parasites - If you happen to contract parasites, your stamina or health may be negatively effected. Depending on what type of parasite you have, you may even find that you are more hungry than usual or more thirsty.
Disease - Diseases have prolonged negative effects to your needs and status. Most of them are not curable. Its wise to always cook your meat and avoid injuries from predators.
Internal Bleeding If you happen to get severely injured by a predator or a bad fall, you may end up with internal bleeding. If this occurs, you are at great risk of losing health for several hours. You will require cattail grass to counter the effect and stop the bleeding.
External Bleeding - External Bleeding mostly occurs when you are scraped deep enough by predators. Essentially if a predator with sharp clothes or teeth inflicts a critical attack on you. These types of wounds can be healed with the appropriate resources, but if left untreated, you may attract more predators such as bears, from great distances.
Wet - If you are wet by being under the rain too long or decided to go for a swim, you have a higher chance of catching hypothermia during freezing temperatures. In general when you are wet your stamina is slightly effected negatively. You can get dry over time or by staying near open fire.
Dehydration - If your thirst is too high, you will become dehydrated which will negatively effect your stamina and possibly health.
Starvation - If you don't eat enough food, you will start to lose health over time or your ability to regain health. There are different kinds of leftover food from civilization to be found but with resources low, you will be required to hunt to fill your stomach.
Exhaustion - You require sleep in order to regain your stamina. If you are too tired your stamina bar will no longer regenerate. If you don't sleep for days on end, it's possible you will even "blackout". If this occurs you will collapse on the ground and be forced to sleep for several hours.

Crafting

Campfire - You can create campfires ANYWHERE in the world. However, if it's raining the fire will not catch and during snow, it will not last long. Same if it's too windy. IF you craft a fire under a canopy the fire will last longer and not be affected by the weather. You will require sticks and stones to create a well-fortified campfire. You can reignite it with the appropriate resources such as tinder.
Fishing Hole - If you find ice on top of a lake, you can dig a fishing hole and then craft a fishing rod to catch fish.

Wildlife

Wolves - Wolves generally always travel in packs. So you must be very careful if you see one because there is most likely others that have already detected your presence and are trying to flank you.
Bears - Bears are solitary creatures and if you happen to see one, you should avoid it at all cost. As they are brutally strong and can most likely outrun you.
Deer - Deer are the prime source for food by both the player and the predators.
Rabbits - Preyed on by all and the easiest prey to hunt.
Fish - Fish can only be harvested by fishing. There are several different types of fish that can be caught such as trout.
Birds - You will occasionally encounter different kinds of birds, such as geese.

Environment

Nuclear Winter features a complete night and day system with periodically changing random weather. The time of day and type of weather has all kinds of effects on the environment. Predators and prey also have their own behaviors depending on the weather and time of day.

Combat Tech Video Demo (ignore Skyrim place holder UI and SFX)

Current Development

Whenever an animal dies it will actually respawn over a period of time if harvested or if ignored and far enough away from the player's vision. This state is considered decomposition. When the animals respawn such as wolves, for instance, they will respawn with varying sizes, speed and behaviors. You may even encounter wolves that are injured or alone exiled from packs.

I am currently building a randomized spawn location system that will respawn animals at various nest sites and it will be completely randomized to prevent predictive respawn patterns. Also means you could be playing the game for over an hour without seeing a predator such as a bear. Or even the possibility of walking into the presence of two bears!

Collectables such as plants will respawn depending on the species of plant, referencing the global calendar. This is being perfected so that the players cannot cheat by resting to fast forward plant regrowth. Additionally, re-working the fatigue meter to prevent abusing the system to respawn resources. If the player is not tired, you cannot sleep.

Website Coming Soon (With Alpha Download!)

(This initial post may change as the game continues to develop and change)
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mipastu
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2019 19:37
Looks good
RTX 2080 TI - I9 9900K - 16GT RAM - WIN 10
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2019 21:15 Edited at: 20th Nov 2019 23:33
great work so far Teabone

thanks to Mipatsu suggestion.. edited LOL
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2019 11:19
Looks brilliant i jus feel sad for the wolves and bears
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2019 15:03 Edited at: 21st Nov 2019 15:03
lol JC saw the post before the edit

Updates

- Wolves stay away from campfires (most of the time)
- animals now bleed when injured
- can drink directly from the lake only if thirsty
- Reduced likely-hood of audio stacking (wolves barking)
- Bear attack distance increased to prevent the player from going inside the mesh
- added more randomized behaviors for wolves in the distance (howling, sniffing, idling, walking)
- damage inflicted by predators has been increased

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2019 19:35
This reminds me of The Long Dark, in a good way. If you manage to pull off even a smidgen of the atmosphere of that game, it will be a great achievement for Game Guru. Keep up the good work!

AE
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2019 12:15
Great to see this up here now ,hope it progresses well Mr-T

Dave

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2019 02:44
Looks really cool! I'm in awe of all the custom gameplay you already got going.
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2019 21:12
Nice stuff, take a look on my winter breath script thread, maybe u could need it
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2019 18:22
I've been considering using particles to breathe during sub-zero temperatures for the player (and predators). Though for now looking to do more optimizing as I started losing some FPS recently when introducing deer to the environment. Believe I'm having some collision issues.

I am not using any GG AI just strict rotation and movements with random variance. Now that I know how to use the GG raycasting system, I will be adding that to all animals to occasionally check if they are hitting trees or each other and try to navigate around that.

Will for sure look into cold breathe once i can get some FPS numbers back.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2019 20:41 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2019 18:52
Hi all, it was a nice ride. But unfortunately, with many projects within GG, I've hit a roadblock. I cant not do a workaround for this one.

Posted on Github in September:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/599

The game relies entirely on the night and day, so this bug is, unfortunately, a dead-end for the project. Until or if it's fixed. This bug causes visual issues, FPS drop issues and stutter issues also freezes in some instances.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2019 20:49
Nooo i was excited by this project it would also entice a new genre to gg which is totally needed to give the ebgine some diversity
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
i think lee and GG guys need to take into account more seriuously issues on github.. there are many of them thart are of github form ages and never was fixed...too many game breaking bugs at alland it's a shame since many potentials gg projects ended because of this..

sad for you Mr.T...

and for all great GG users stopped by the engine faults
PC 2 Specs:
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2019 03:36 Edited at: 29th Nov 2019 03:37
I now must considering removing the day and night out and the animated changing sky system. If i am to continue this game to any degree. The best part about the game was the fear of night and creating campfires.

Skonlogick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2019 19:10
This reminds me alot of The Long Dark and that's a great thing. Survival games, when done right, are extremely immersive and fun to play. Such a shame that you had to halt progress due to bugs and engine limitations.

I must ask however, since this is a nice project and you clearly have the skill, wouldn't it be better to try this in another engine? Maybe Unity would be a good choice, since you could use some assets to pick it up where you left off here.
R5 3600X - GTX 1060 6GB - 16GB RAM
https://cooltext.com/
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I must ask however, since this is a nice project and you clearly have the skill, wouldn't it be better to try this in another engine? Maybe Unity would be a good choice, since you could use some assets to pick it up where you left off here."

many of us here(me too) used to use unity or other engines in the past but we all love to suffer and so wse returned to Gameguru..."we dont like to win easy",,,
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
Skonlogick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2019 21:49
Gameguru does have it's wacky charm haha, and some advantages too, but my oh my if it isn't frustrating at times.

Anyway, I suggested it cause it's kinda sad to see a project being canceled for this reason, but I also understand if you guys rather stay with Gameguru. Seems like the more complex a game is, the less chance of this engine being able to handle it.
R5 3600X - GTX 1060 6GB - 16GB RAM
https://cooltext.com/
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2019 11:37
Quote: "i spend so much work on this ultilizing a new command that doesn't work 100%"

I'm assuming that's the SetSkyTo(str) command? If so, that's such a shame...

AE
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2019 15:16
I have some great news all. Cybernescence suggested I give this a try in a standalone export. The issues seems to not be apparent there at all. There is but only a minor stutter. While there is no support for sky transitioning I am so unbelievably glad that this issue is only in editor tests.

Nuclear Winter is back in development and I am going to jump right in and try to start a menu system for statistical display of the player stats.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Great News and I was going to say …
Solar has some kind of Night Day cycle he is experimenting with.
Perhaps you could have got together and worked something out.

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2019 17:53
I have night and day and weather working perfectly, just during test in engine it causes stutter and freeze during transitions. However not in standalone! Which is incredibly exciting. That video of Solar's looks excellent

So going forward I'm still flushing out all the mechanics that are in Nuclear Winter and optimizing each of them. As its a lot going on all at once. As you are managing your hunger, thirst, rest and staying warm. Its a lot of layers working on top of each other and the real challenges is making sure that the game is also entertaining and fun to play, while also quite challenging. More to come soon!

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2019 01:07
Nice one Mr-T pleased it’s still moving forward

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
al the best for the future of this great project Mr.T
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2020 21:30 Edited at: 14th Feb 2020 21:51
Hey everyone! I just wanted to let everyone know that I've reopened this project and started developing more of the landscape and environment. While the world changes between day and night and rolls in different weather patterns that bring upon new obstacles and challenges.

If anyone is interested in following the progress of this project feel free to join me on Discord anytime:
https://discord.gg/2Z4sCR2

My plans going forward: is to add a notification text box display, showing the last 3 actions the player has made. Taken from my grid-based dungeon crawler game made in GG called Guild of The Peculiars. This text box would display what loot has been gained from containers, harvests, and fishing. Additionally would update on new statuses the player has received. For instance, if you are poisoned, diseased or suffering from burns or hyperthermia.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mav3r1ck1981
Years of Service
User Offline
I am so pleased to see that development has reopened on this project. It was one that I was most excited to see move forward. I LOVE survival games as a genre, with rust and longest dark being two of my favourites. The UI for this is one of the finest ive seen being utilised in GG and I cant wait to see what you are able to do with it. Now if you are able to continue to use your magic and work a crafting/building element moving forward, it has the potential to be one of the most exciting projects that GG has and that's saying something as there are some amazing projects being worked on currently
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:13:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:13:47