Product Chat / GG Flight Simulator - Possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,

Apart from my normal daily job as n developer, I'm a very active and addicted Pilot as a Hobbyist.. Own a EPL (Expremental Pilot License), NPL (National Pilot License) for fixed wing airplanes, rebuild and test airplanes, and been flying and designing model airplanes since the early 90's, Parachuting, Paragliding... anything that can fly.... I'm interested.

One of my big dreams has been to design a flight simulator for PC... which I gave up long ago due to no knowledge in Game desiging.
I did how ever design a complete Android tablet cockpit instrument panel (Been using in a few microlight airplanes) 6 years ago, using Arduino mega and Basic 4 Android, and also a Android APP, for Paragliding and motorized paragliders.
I also designed/Create a bunch of 360 degree 6 x cube maps for a well known PC Helicopter/Airplane Simulator (Phoenix RC) from various Model airplane clubs in South Africa.

Lately the FPV Drone racing is a huge thing. So I were thinking while I start to learn GG, to maybe create a FPV simulator for Drones.

Seeing the Jetpack, and some nice Drone models, and some airplanes, I re-think the simulator thing...

Unity has 2 Drone simulators (FreeRider and Hotprops).

I've already started designing some indoor gates and Flags, for a possible indoor flight sim, but before I spend to much time on assets, I would like to know if it's possible in GG...

I own GG for about 2 years, but havnt done anything really in GG, so still pretty new to GG, and Lua

Any pointers from the Pro's.

Appreciate, Thanks
Nothing is impossible,
Your mind is the Limit!!!
Cubemaps -> Skymaps GUI creator - Thread
Super Fast File Scanner - Thread
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2019 15:39 Edited at: 20th Nov 2019 15:42
I would say the map is too small for a FS.
And the physics oohhh... wind... too many things which will be not easy to create with GG.

I wait for the new Flight Sim 2020 until then XPlane 11 which is already a great sim.

I think in the unity or unreal store, there are some examples for flight sims.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure it can be done, even here in GG.
Would need a pretty extensive knowledge of specific 3D math
routines and the like though. Got a Doctorate in geometry?!

Nevertheless, I think this would be better off for a 64 bit engine, if the intent
is to look smooth, professional and not so glitchy. ((GG Memory is flimsy))

But I think with AmenMoses libraries most of the stuff is in there, if you could
get your head around how to implement it all!
Heck you could red-neck a basic platform with the existing Global routines--
barring like I said memory and Stand-Alone issues (currently BIG ones.)
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2019 20:08

Something along those lines you mean?
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Radical! That's slick!
The pilot needs a pillow though, so they can see over the console!

Next would be variations in flying sounds (I know you have some)
but the drone of the engine or other planes if they fly by you, like you would
hear watching the old war flicks...
PM
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
@MooKai
I don't want a Flight Sim like Plane x11. Mocrosoft FS. Only a smaal area (For FPV racing), just indoor or a small area, so no limits with the Map Size in GG.

@Amenmoses, thats a very good starting point I think for something like this. It about exactly what I'm looking for...
I will mostly be interest in the FPC (First Person View), and take it from there.

Any place & can get my hands on that Map and Examples/Scripts?

Thanks Mate!!

Nothing is impossible,
Your mind is the Limit!!!
Cubemaps -> Skymaps GUI creator - Thread
Super Fast File Scanner - Thread
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2019 23:33
The spitfire and associated parts belong to Bod and he isn't releasing them as far as I know so you would have to source your own models.

I've attached the script but it probably won't make a lot of sense unless you are familiar with Lua.

I got to the point where I was about to tackle the flight dynamics part, my plan was to have separate vectors for gravity, lift, thrust, sideslip etc and then add them all up to derive the positional change of the aircraft.

One of the most difficult parts of such an endeavour is handling collisions and deciding what to do with them, for example I have code in there to detect when a wheel would penetrate the terrain (for landing obviously) but in reality you would have some level of 'give' in the suspension of the aircraft before a reaction occurs, how to deal with that in a way that makes it realistic enough for game play without a huge amount of FPS sucking math (i.e. 'Faking' it) is most of the fun of the task.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Nov 2019 10:28
AmenMoses. awesome man.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2019 18:57
You can get planes flying, yes, but the map is too small and you can quite clearly see its edges so I wouldn't recommend GG for a Flight Simulator.

-Wolf
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2019 19:51
I'm, sure I remember cyber or someone saying that you could get huge maps working with a simple engine change but for this the map is way too small at present.
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
The editor does not constrain you from placing an enormous entity the size
of the map even outside the terrain boundaries. Only GPC constrains the
player to the terrain box.
In fact I found an flat square object ((came somewhere from a store pack))
covers the entire map!

So if you placed something like that; a creative shape -- what then?
It could have a certain texture of choice, maybe even trees and hills look...
There would still be no terrain there, but with creativity maybe that would
be an experimental (though not professional) compromise?!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2019 21:27
If we could get rid of the terrain entirely (something that was promised but never appeared) then there are plenty of ways of 'faking' a large continuous world, tiling of large 'terrain' entities for example, or have the plane actually static in the middle of the map and move everything else to make it appear as if it is moving for another example. (that's the approach I used for my Asteroids demo btw)

PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Just tried it. No problem getting out there, but...
STRANGE things happen out there. We enter another dimension.
(The sun disappears!) or at least the light from the sun, and we enter
the twilight zone. No longer in Kansas Toto.
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2019 22:02 Edited at: 25th Nov 2019 22:29
Oops, sorry, repost...
Just tried it. No problem getting out there, but...
STRANGE things happen out there. We enter another dimension.
(The sun disappears!) or at least the light from the sun, and we enter
the twilight zone. No longer in Kansas Toto.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2019 22:24 Edited at: 25th Nov 2019 22:37
Technically you can remove the boundary box in the player settings. The push effect that occurs with the map size. However, the water plain is not infinite like it was in fpsc

I did post a request for this a long time ago in 2017 and then posted in 2018 github:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/47

It's best to use water (if this feature was added), so you dont have to spawn terrain entities infinitely (though thats possible too).

Here is more on the topic:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218643

You'd basically just need the water plain to then move with the player to always be there.

You can also use the classic Playstation 2 methods of "Leaving Mission Area" warning. when the plane has flown too far past the map area. You lose if you do not return before the countdown finishes.
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 26th Nov 2019 07:46
There are a lot of aspects to update when moving off the stock terrain grid. The sun shadow mapper as mentioned above is coded to work only within those grid coords so needs to be updated . The water plane can be made to move around the player position (like skybox) but it is still too small for flight - when view is elevated can see the edges. This can be made larger (4x size works to max camera view) but also requires water shader updates for tiling of textures. A cascade of things to update emerge once venture ‘off grid’.

Turning off terrain completely is possible too but then player falls endlessly without world gravity updates or changing lots of other stock assumptions such as placing of entities and player that assumes a derived terrain height etc.

All good stuff

Cheers.

GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER PassMark: 14817

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:41:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:41:33