Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2019 11:08 Edited at: 19th Nov 2019 11:28
@Lee
@Preben

Thanks in advance for your time
Since you guys be working on bugs - maybe you can investigate an issue I found the other day when testing a standalone build.

First the build works fine, in that everything is copied over, and runs as expected.
Secondly most of the media is custom.

The Issue:
So in my game, the second level it is open world, and the following third level is in a space type setting where terrain and water are turned off.

When flying a spacecraft around the level ( thanks AmenMoses) there are models from the previous level appearing on the map like so:

None of the models in this screenie are actually on the current map (level 3), but are only used in the previous one (level 2).

So creating a standalone build using allowfragmentation=2 fixes the rogue models issue, but:
- takes a while to display the loading screen between levels,
- and final screen feels kinda clunky
- - - like takes a while to show the final screen, and when you click continue it takes a while to load main menu
The resulting experience tends to make you feel the game has locked up.

It would help if the engine just loaded the loading screens immediately and just did it's thing behind the curtain so-to-speak.

Anyway, just wondering if you guys can take a look see
I know other devs are having issues with standalone, so they may chime in as well.

Thanks for reading.

OldFlak....
aka Reliquia
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2019 11:25
Quote: "I know other devs are having issues with standalone, so they may chime in as well."

absolutely

The issue above happened to me a long time ago and I cant remember what I did to fix it unfortunately...

What I can do is to report standalone issues I am experiencing:

- Missing entities

- strange increase in movement speed of the player

- crashes during loading screen

- allowfragmentation = 2 does help with crashes but deleted weapons wich is bad when you have a shooter game

- draw call optimizer debug mode cant be entered? It was f11 twice and then pressing 9 ? But all I see is "shadows" highlighted and no change in the draw call meter.

bevore pressing 9

after pressing 9

---------------------------------------------------

Other than that, gameguru actually has improved a lot in terms of standalone export.
I have some huge EBE buildings in my levels wich are carried over properly now.
All in all this is a good performance but still could be way better. If someone has a game on steam, they wanna make sure that the engine related problems are as few as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
- Duchenkuke

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps setting GG to clear memory between levels would fix it? As a temporary fix. It will take longer to load, but may fix this issue. I think it is the memory fragmentation setting, but not used GG in quite a while now.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 19th Nov 2019 12:18
In those screenshots you have not pressed F11 twice, if you had you would not have the hardware info and list of disablement below.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 19th Nov 2019 12:30 Edited at: 19th Nov 2019 12:36
Checking hte instructions you don't need to press it twice anyway, just once then press 9. (don't prfess and hold 9, just press it once, then go to tabtab to see the drawcalls)

Quote: " Just run any unlightmapped level you have made in test game mode, press F11 and then press [9]. This will switch off all regular entities from the scene, leaving only the batched entities rendering.

You can use this to see how much of your scene has been optimized, and if you also hide terrain, water, sky and other elements you can then press TAB TAB to see how many draw calls are being used to render the batched entities. "

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2019 20:40
@belidos, thanks for the heads up, it was told me wrong then. I asked on a discord server and got this information there
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, please.
Recurring issues. And yet the UI test maps are so reliable. Why not Standalone?
I hope my current project isn't destroyed by the broken GG Standalone system...
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Any documentary on the whole of Stand alone issues?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
What messed up on it exactly ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes. Thanks for asking Synchromesh. Well, I haven't officially built a map for many
months. I've been studying lua instead, waiting for upgrades to the compiling
of the stand alone. Of course very soon I will be trying to put it all together
and after the digital work, I don't want to be hampered by a decrepit compiling
system.

I think I saw someone post some tips once on how to work through certain stand
alone issues... so I wanted to look it over, but couldn't find that thread again.
Will search further. Thanks again.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2020 01:00 Edited at: 18th Jan 2020 10:31
The issues with standalone I find do not actually seem to be the engine but more the assets.
Stock and your own may work really well but its entirely possible that when it comes to old classic assets or non updated 3rd party assets from the store there could well be issues of missing textures etc … You can bet the engine has in fact put the model there as its supposed to but just cannot read the paths to find the textures ..

Mine are 100 % custom so I know if they work in one level they will work in others so a standalone every session after I work on my game may seem like overkill but there are also scripts to consider and check in that test. nevertheless I do them.

From all the reports I have read standalone is fine as long as the assets are made in the correct and up to date format. If not then that's where the problems start to show up. A standalone build can take all of 3 minutes compared to the 24 / 48 hours in Radiant back in the day so my advice is do one after every heavy session at least just to make sure they are all transferring correctly and all is well.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2020 02:03 Edited at: 19th Jan 2020 02:05
Hey synch i think you actually helped save one of my standalone issues. You mentioned texture path and so i decided to go see what happened with my assets (which are old from GG fantasy DLC, but originally from FPSC). While the characters did show up in a preview standalone, they dont now, for whatever reason. Anywho since i went and checked if textures carried over this in fact wasn't the case, and so i found the problem!

I think Ive also identified the exact issue. These models on the DLC's on steam are referencing TGA paths and not DDS. GG the engine normally converts them, but it appears the standalone sometimes does not. For example:

textured = Desiccated Priest_noweap_D2.tga

Will post on github. Instead of making the standalone engine try to figure out this issue, I think the DLC packs should be updated to use the paths of .DDS instead of TGA and leaving it to the engine to change or search out DDS.
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 16:53:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 16:53:25