Product Chat / Animated Doors

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there...

I don't really know anything about animation, but I tried this with fragMotion. In fragMotion it seems to work, but the exported .x file doesn't work in GG.
Maybe my FPE is wrong?

I know smallg's animation script but I'd prefer a model anim.
Does somebody know a appropriate tutorial how to animate doors?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
do you have any info on what doesn't work in GG? does the model import but not animate? does the script run? the default door script relies on the the doors being set as a character iirc as they rely on line of sight, if you can see the door and the prompt in GG but it's not animating then try a basic script that just plays the animation
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
After the import with GG it shows me the .bmp icon but I can't see the model. So I don't know whether the animation works at all. But there is no error message...
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 16th Sep 2019 22:08
Convert the jpg to png or dds to start with. If I remember right gameguru doesn't like jpg's.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
did it display in the importer or did you import it manually?
sounds like you're doing it manually? perhaps try the importer in GG, if it doesn't appear in the importer after you select the texture then it's likely not exported correctly for GG.
perhaps upload the original model for someone else to try if you still can't get it to work
lua guide for GG
windows 10
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2019 00:13
Yes sounds like texture problem ,run the level and walk up to it if the sound plays you no it’s there and working

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2019 07:26
Yeah, it would likely be texture issue. Use .DDS (best) or PNG, and make sure has correct reference in fpe.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there...

Thanks to you all for your feedback.
I succeeded in creating an animated door!
And I can tell you, it isn't the format of the texture. Whether .dds or .jpg doesn't matter.
The problem was the .x file. The paths to the texture are also stored in this file. At my first attempt I saved the .x file as a binary file. So I couldn't see that. Now I saved it as a text file, just as I saw it in a video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neUAM5hWaZg)
Then I adjusted the paths in the .x file. By the way, I deleted the .dbo file created by GG after every change.

Now I still have a little problem.
When the door is open, I can walk through it. If the door is closed however not. What could be the reason?

I would like to prefer .jpg textures, because they are much smaller in file size than .dds or .png.
What exactly argues against it? So far .jpg files were no problem here.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 17th Sep 2019 13:46 Edited at: 17th Sep 2019 13:50
Ah right, yes you have somehow exported the .x file as if it is a multi-texture model with the texture path in the model, for gameguru so you can use the fpe to specify the texture, in Blender you just need to un-tick the material index in the exporter, not sure about other software. If you do have a multi-texture model you want to use as is in gameguru you can do so by putting the textures in the same folder as the model and leaving the "textured =" line blank.

As to types of textures, it is highly recommended to convert them to DDS or PNG, JPG is a awful format for game engines.

Quote: "Now I still have a little problem.
When the door is open, I can walk through it. If the door is closed however not. What could be the reason?"

Because that's what the script tells it to do. For an object to animate in gameguru the script has to turn off collision, play the animation, then turn on collision again. However it can't change the shape of the collision, so the collision box when collision is turned back on will be the same shape and location as it was before animating, so with a door, if it's animated to open and the collision box is turned back on, you still won't be able to walk through it, so the script doesn't turn the collision on unless the door is in a closed state.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2019 15:40
"JPG is a awful format for game engines."

I say JPG is a blessing, You cant make a serious game when every texture is in size 2-22mb. Using jpegs makes it possible to make medium textures (1024x1024, 2048x2048) to a 10th of the size, and its always the Artist who decides quality/size. I did optimize My little testlevel from 10 to playable 22fps by converting to jpegs and the graphic reduction was so small I courldnt see it. I want My games to be playable with mid-spec computers, not only with high-spec. So I agree with fumar: "I would like to prefer .jpg textures"......
Stop being mediocre, be Yourself...
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
it depends on the model, jpg loses quality and doesn't handle transparency so for basic textures or textures with large areas of colour it's fine but for smaller files and/or files with high amounts of detail it's much better to use png or dds.

Quote: "and its always the Artist who decides quality/size"

yes, i think we would all rather have a format that keeps the highest quality straight from the store and have the option to swap or convert for optimisation ourselves as you did
lua guide for GG
windows 10
fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As to types of textures, it is highly recommended to convert them to DDS or PNG, JPG is a awful format for game engines."

That's the statement I've read before. But no justification.

So I don't see any real advantage in the use of .dds at the moment.
Both .jpg and .dds files are compressed. With .jpg images you can select gradations from 0 - 100, while with .dds the compression variants DXT1 - DXT5 as well as 3Dc (for normal maps) are available.
And .png files are only interesting for transparent images.
So there's nothing against using .jpg files for me. At least GG hasn't had any problems with it so far.
Why should I stress the performance with a much larger format?

Quote: "Because that's what the script tells it to do. [...]"

Okay, I think I can live with that. For the moment..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 00:11
It doesn't really matter what graphics format you use as the engine will convert it to the DX format internally anyhow, if you use a DX format to begin with that conversion will be more accurate (and potentially more efficient).

It all really depends on what accuracy you want to achieve, jpeg is usually a very 'lossy' format which is really tailored to web page usage, i.e. very small file size, whereas DDS and PNG formats are usually tailored for loss-free usage.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 07:35
Also normal textures need precision so jpg normals will effect pbr rendering badly.

Using jpg is generally a bad idea unless minimising the storage foot print is the only goal. The engine will convert and add mip maps on loading anyway so better to use best definition maps possible to minimise conversion errors and if already dds should reduce loading times as conversion time is less or not required at all sometimes.

The overall size of ‘square’ textures should be considered. A tiny object on screen does not need a set of textures at 2048x2048 or even probably 256x256. However a large signature piece that features prominently in game may well do.

Cheers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:32:57