Off Topic / Good ideas 4 a FPS Game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2019 12:56 Edited at: 15th Sep 2019 12:57
Hi, i was thinking about what a story my game should have.I know that it should be 4 sure an FP Shooter, but all genres like steampunk, ww2, scifi are used up today, we have WW1 games, vietnam war ect.....Dont really know what 2 do.Iam not really asking 4 a story idea, more 4 a historical period that is rare in video games.I though of a game like THIEF seted in the 17/18 century with flintlocks, muskets,swords, pirates, but not even sure if we have the appropriate scripts 4 sneak, stealing...Would appriciate some suggestions.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2019 14:24
Hmm! Well, I think its safe to say that everyone who wants to make games has dozens of ideas right off the bat. Its getting however hard to form these ideas into something that they CAN actually pull off, even harder if its something that they can pull off in GG.

Now you mentioned that you feel a lot of genres are over done. I don't necessarily feel that way, I mean, ww2 and modern conflicts certainly have a lot of titles under their belt but there are still very few WW1 or vietnam themed games. Like there are still thousands of things left undone in those sub-genres.

Now, if you want to make something set in the late or mid 19th century, you have a lot of room to play with.
A pseudo medieval setting like thief, that also has machinery and magic woven into it gives it tons of options and just because it is set in a similar world as thief, does not mean that it HAS to be a thief game. It can really just be a shooter because creating a GOOD stealth game in GG is next to impossible right now. We still struggle with reliable offensive AI so having AI that can differentiate between various levels of awareness and can coordinate? Forget it!

So I'd say sit down for half an hour, pick a time period and design a quasi historic world where you can have a decent shooter with "traditional" FPS gameplay.

Lets look at thief: The setting is somewhat set to steam punk so you can have some melee weapons and some abstractions of muskets, early cartridge types rifles and revolvers and maybe even something tesla themed. For an arsenal alone, you'd have tons of possibilities, maybe even weave the advent of new technologies into the plot of your game.

For example, I had a project once that I shelved pretty quickly because it was just too much work for me. Skrye, the Heart of Shadows. It was set in an alternate universe where an event similar to WW1 caused enough suffering to allow beings of pure evil to slowly manifest and manipulate our world, you'd be a member of a small order that was fighting not only against that but also against the deeply divided hives of people still remaining. The core plot line is not necessarily the most creative, but it does allow for a whole lot of creative art direction, gameplay and world building down the line.

Just pick a time period, google it, get educated about it and start abstracting the political, social and technological zeitgeist of that era into something that is your own.

-Wolf
KRivva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2019 15:36
There's a Prime Video series called "The man in the high castle" which is also set in an alternate history: Right after the second world war Germany and Japan rule the United States.

Or you play a hostage negotiator where you have to talk to the captor and make the right decisions or shoot your way through the bank/house/etc...

PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2019 17:44
@Wolf
The sub-genres are overdone in the context of GG produktions, let me explain.Good ww2 games can be still made in other engines, but if someone make a quite good ww2 game in GG, even with amazing level design and graphix it looks still similar 2 other GG games so to get the "WOW" effect we have to come with something unconventionall, not neccesarly new historical period but its 4 sure a good way and example.
I wrote about a stealth game cuz the 17/18 century dont really fit the traditional FPS shooter gameplay of GG, they fought each other on open fileds standing in 50 meters apart from each other face 2 face, even if someone from the big gaming studios would create such a game i dont think thats would be fun playing it(just standing, shooting and wating to get shooted yourself).Smallg have some stealth scripts, but u R right, 2 scrips are to less 4 a game with sneak and stealth mechanism, my game would be transformed into a RPG more and more.Agree also that gameguru have to perfect the AI, i will tell more, i think GG is still more in BETA, or lets say "GAMMA" then a full version when it comes 2 this affairs.However thnx 4 the answer, i think i have also a few other options in my backmind left if these one doesnt work, 4 right now iam gonna not posting a WIP until iam sure that my project have a chance 4 succes.
P.S how is the work in Unity now?I got never over FPS arms and weapon and some 3d scenery models.I followed DrunkenLizards project on YT, hes game is now 6 years in devolopment and i guess he has a lot of scripting and 3d skills.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2019 17:50
As I said, you have to do an abstraction of the era you pick to make it a fun game.
Like, there where no Nazi murder mutants as you see in RTCW, yet the way they are included makes for fun game play.
In the same way you can modernize or change the weaponry and technology available to make for better gameplay and you don't have to adhere to historical fact down to a T with the time period you set your game in. (Unless thats what you strife to do, and GG would just be the wrong engine for any kind of simulation.)
Don't overthink the facts and just be creative Tap into your genes, you slavs are known to be great artists, I'm sure you can pull it off once you have a coherent idea. "Just do it."

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:00:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:00:48