3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Importing Second Life avatars to use in GG?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, pardon if this is a super noob-y question, or if it's not in the best section...

I've been stalled with Game Guru because it really doesn't seem ideal for the kind of romance/girly games I'd like to make. (Think dreamy anime fantasy stuff.) The character creator is hopeless for that; the characters probably work very well for combat-based games but they're sure not what you'd call beautiful. I've looked into Make Human and those are a bit better but even there the characters are more utilitarian than pretty. Maybe MH is capable of more than I've seen, but the characters (even the girls) all seem to have kind of a blunt, tough look.

The avatar creator in Second Life seems like it would have a lot of potential for the kind of games I'd like to make. It's fairly easy to use, the characters are highly customizable, they can be exported and freely used in commercial projects, and the default look is kind of dreamy and romantic. People can get some really gorgeous results. Here's just one example. Now, THAT is a character for a romance game!

I may be wrong, but I have the feeling some of the characters in The Cogwheel Chronicles were imported from Second Life. Is that the case? Has anybody else done this? I've been wondering how complicated it would be to import SL characters into GG, and what would be the simplest method to go about it. Would the rigging of the SL characters export with them into GG, or would it be a question of exporting the SL characters into some program (like Make Human?) where I could rig them, then importing those rigged characters into GG? Obviously I'm just starting to explore this idea, so any advice would be much appreciated!
PM
KRivva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2019 07:15
I don't have much experience yet, but you should try "Fuse" on Steam and "VRoid".
PM
MindiFlyth
Years of Service
User Offline
I've seen Vroid before, but as far as I know you're limited to very specific body types. With Second Life people have had all kinds of non-human avatars like dogs, dragons and mermaids, and it seems like that would allow me to have a much wider variety of characters and creatures in a game. I also get the feeling that SL allows for a wider variety of art styles. I wouldn't necessarily want everything to have that anime look.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Moved to 3rd party Models/Media
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2019 10:26
Not sure if i understood u good, u wanna ripp models from SL?
Quote: "where I could rig them"

Depends which animations do u want.
4 just rigging the character u can use the free mixamo website, and u can choose the animations 4 the model.
If u want the standart GG animations u can use
-fragmotion(harder way, but free)
-3ds max(fast way but expensive)
PM
MindiFlyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2019 12:39 Edited at: 10th Sep 2019 12:41
Quote: "Not sure if i understood u good, u wanna ripp models from SL?"

I'm talking about creating avatars in Second Life and then exporting them to use them in GameGuru as characters. When I do a Google search for exporting a SL avatar, there are a lot of results... but I don't know if anybody here has more specific suggestions for how to get SL avatars into GG to use as characters. I'm pretty sure it could be done, but I don't know if it has been, or the best way to go about it.
PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2019 12:52 Edited at: 10th Sep 2019 14:01
Quote: "I'm pretty sure it could be done, but I don't know if it has been, or the best way to go about it"

U can send me a SL character i see what i can do.
Never played SL so i dont know anything about the mechanics and UI, but i found theese

Once u got the model into https://www.blender.org, export it as fbx, then u can rigg it on https://www.mixamo.com or fragmotion, which u can get here http://www.fragmosoft.com.Blender needs a xml importer
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/71077/getting-xml-and-xmf-files-into-blender
Then u have 2 export them as x files to get them work 4 GG, should be not problem i think.
But firstly do the part with blender from the videos and let me know if u finished, i give u the next step.
let me know if u have questions.
PM
MindiFlyth
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not quite at the point of having specific SL avatars that I'd want to put in a game. I'm at the research stage and this thread is more about how I'd go about doing it in the future, if I decide to go ahead with this. I did try Blender years ago and I couldn't figure it out, although I understand that the UI is supposed to be a bit more user-friendly now. I'm more of an artist than a techie, and if things get too technical I tend to get frustrated and move on.

This whole process is pretty frustrating. I keep trying to figure out what will be the simplest, least expensive process to get good-looking characters into GG, and I keep running into problems. Right now transferring characters from SL to GG looks like another complicated situation, and maybe I'd be better off with Fuse or something... if I can get that to work. Osiem80, can you (or anybody else!) suggest the simplest, cheapest way to customize attractive characters in another program, then import them into GG, hopefully rigged and with animations?
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2019 06:02 Edited at: 11th Sep 2019 06:02
Someone asked me to create models for Second Life a while ago, and eventually I had to give up. The SL rigging system is beyond complicated, with around 500 bones/helpers, so the likelihood of SL characters working in GG (which can have a maximum of 60 bones) is about zero.
i3 8350k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2019 08:32
Quote: "Right now transferring characters from SL to GG looks like another complicated situation, and maybe I'd be better off with Fuse or something"

Well..If u looking 4 somethink that allows u to make SL or any else characters GG ready with just one mouse click u will be dissapointed 4 sure.
That process i showed u is absoloutly not complicated, except the part with fragmo rigging but its not neccesary until u want standart GG animations on r characters.The way i desricbed above will be took about 2-3 minutes to turn a model into GG.As GG doesnt support xmf files i proposed u 2 use blender just 4 import and export the model, u dont even need 2 be familar with it just follow the instructions from the videos.
Quote: "The SL rigging system is beyond complicated, with around 500 bones/helpers"

Its not possible 2 export a raw unrigged mesh?However by importing it 2 blender u could just remove the bone, and rigg it all over again in mixamo.
Quote: " can you (or anybody else!) suggest the simplest, cheapest way to customize attractive characters in another program, then import them into GG, hopefully rigged and with animations?"

U can look 4 gameready characters on turbosquid, cgtrader......
Take a look on Pyrate Mykes MakeHuman2GG tutorial, MH is a free software where u can create characters
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219217
Heres a example of models from there used in GG
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220299

PM
MindiFlyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info! The "Heres a example of models from there used in GG" (https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220299) actually gives me some hope for a related project, where I wanted to import still characters into GG and use them to make CGI comics. So, the problem DVader was running into there, with the still figures, could actually be useful for comics! But then it looked like DVader was also having endless problems with the models being transparent, so that's discouraging.

It looks like Second Life avatars would probably be too complex for GG, which is a shame. I'm back to looking at Mixamo/Make Human methods, but as I read forum threads it sounds like people have had many, many problems with that. I don't consider myself a complete dummy, but every method I research seems to have endless problems and it gets intimidating. It really makes me wish the GG character creator was a bit more developed, so we could just design our own characters and not have to use these outside programs with all these problems!

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:01:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:01:44