Off Topic / Unity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I always get suspicious when something is free. Does anyone know what the catches or restrictions are on Unity? Can you use their stock assets and sell your games without paying fees for example?

Also, does anyone have experience of Unreal?
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
No catches except there's a "made with unity" splash screen when the game is loading
Most of the free assets are free to use in your own games, I won't say "all"
as I haven't checked all of them.
(can't sell them as models etc of course)

I did try unreal briefly but found it much harder to use compared to unity, unity makes everything very easy
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2019 13:01 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2019 13:06
I have to disagree slightly
Like most free licence's its free to use but you never really own it at the end of the day. Probably not your game either in the long run.
Licences can also change and have done in the past. Additional terms can be added at their discretion. Restrictions could be added or taken away so you have to keep on top of them just in case.
https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software
But that's just my opinion.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
true and GG could go bankrupt tomorrow... there's no point worrying about what may happen later when it's so unlikely, there's professional games being made with unity and unreal - do you think those professional teams didn't consider the risk? unity don't get any money directly from your game however it is true they could in theory do what epic did (with unreal) with PUBG and copy your game
Quote: "Behind the scenes, the two companies have an existing business relationship as PUBG is built on the Unreal gaming engine, which was developed by Epic Games"

but it's kinda pointless as you can copy games easily enough without source code anyway and unity makes thousands from their store and can definitely afford to give away free assets every now and then, most of the assets were just used as demo scenes to promote new features or videos, rather than throw them away they release them, it brings in new users and even pro's use them, it's good business and you never really get enough to make a full game anyway so they don't lose anything.
Besides we also don't technically own our windows software... i still use my PC everyday
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Besides we also don't technically own our windows software"

LOL .. That was going to be my first analogy " your only licenced to use Windows but you don't own it "
I didn't because you do pay for that licence but not Unity free
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2019 20:33
One thing I can say is if you are not paying for Unity, you will be required to keep the Unity splash screen intact:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-PlayerSettingsSplashScreen.html
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the views. I have made a couple of games with Pixel Game Maker MV and they require a splash screen display on games despite charging around £67 for the software. Cheeky!
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2019 23:01 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2019 23:03
I've never seen the need to hide the game engine anyway, I always added some form of "made with agk" logo or sign to any game I put on the Google play store.. like we're trying to pretend we made the entire game from scratch??
While we're on the subject it should be noted that you can't technically make more than $100k a year from unity but I think you can afford the pro sub if you're making that... Personally I think I'm going to have to bill TGC and unity because I've spent way more than I've earned (read: £0) using them :p
lua guide for GG
windows 10
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Given my track record I doubt I need to worry about making too much money. I'm still waiting to break even on all my games. That's not even counting the voice actors who cost me £700.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "'ve never seen the need to hide the game engine anyway, I always added some form of "made with agk" logo or sign to any game "

Agreed … You should be proud of your game rather than the engine you created it in
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 5th Sep 2019 11:56
Quote: "I've never seen the need to hide the game engine anyway, I always added some form of "made with agk" logo or sign to any game"

Generally i agree, but with GameGuru there's such a bad reputation out there that if and when i make a game with it and publish it i will hide every aspect of gameguru possible. Not because i'm embarrassed by GameGuru, but because i want to release something that is truly good and after people have bought it and reviewed it, point out that it was made in GaemGuru as a middle finger to the nay-Sayers :p

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2019 12:12
The ideal would be to create a good game, and for the player to find out that the game is made with GG right at the end of the game, when the credits comes; then and only then will the player know that the game he liked so much is made with Gameguru, and that Gameguru can also generate a good game.
In other words player will have more elements to judge, instead of a simple prejudice.
If we try to compare GG with unity / unreal etc, the battle will be lost before it start.
GG can be the elementary school and unity the university, and we can't go to university without first going to elementary school (at least I couldn't)
GG is a very good play for start from scratch.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2019 01:25
Wolf changed to unity he can tell u 4 sure more about it.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2019 20:36
Sure thing, but I believe this question has been answered adequately.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you lost faith in GameGuru, Wolf?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2019 01:07 Edited at: 14th Sep 2019 01:11
if you keep an eye on humblebundle they often have unity stuff available for cheap - i recently got some udemy 3D and 2D courses which should cost hundreds but you could pick them up for few £....
right now they have a unity based bundle which you might find interesting
most of the stuff on there will be based on unity 2018 but not much is different in 2019, most of the latest unity updates have been about the HDRP and LWRP which you can ignore for normal projects.
lua guide for GG
windows 10
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2019 20:11
@LordJulian: Hmm, I am not fond of it at the moment and therefore I don't actively use it right now. I just hang back and see if it improves, if not, then there are other options.

I greatly enjoy messing about in Unity and I'll have a game out in yet another engine this october I will also post a link here
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2019 18:16 Edited at: 1st Oct 2019 18:19
humble bundle are doing a unity bundle again for the next 14days

tier 1 (currently $1) gives access to a neat little mobile target add-on
Quote: "Easy Mobile is an essential all-in-one plugin that greatly simplifies the implementation of standard features on every mobile game such as advertising, in-app purchasing, game services, notifications, sharing, etc. Our vision is to create a standard package that is integrated in every Unity mobile game, taking care of all ""necessary evils"" so you can focus on doing the most important thing in game development: creating fun!"

great if you're planning to make a commercial mobile game

and if you get the third tier (currently $15) you get a year subscription of learn unity premium
Quote: "From the makers of Unity, Learn Premium is the official learning platform for high-quality beginner to advanced content created or vetted by Unity. Get access to live sessions, tutorials updated for the latest Unity release, and content created with partners like Udemy and Pluralsight. Whether you're new to C# and game development or a seasoned pro looking to go deep on a specific topic, Unity Learn Premium has just-in-time content so you can grow your Unity skills more efficiently and build the game of your dreams."

or perhaps the visual scripting is more fitting to your needs?
Quote: "PlayMaker is the best selling visual scripting solution for Unity. Make games without knowing how to code. Don't just dream it, do it!

Battle Tested: PlayMaker has been used in many shipped games including Hearthstone, INSIDE, Hollow Knight, The First Tree, Dreamfall Chapters, Observation and more. Trusted by AAA studios, solo indie developers and hobbyists alike.

Intuitive: Quickly build and debug behaviours using States, Actions and Events. This higher level approach is easier to understand than traditional coding or low level visual scripting. States make sense.

Ecosystem: PlayMaker has an active user community with admins and power users online to answer your questions. The Ecosystem Browser provides easy access to a constantly growing collection of custom actions, tutorials, samples, templates etc."
lua guide for GG
windows 10
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info guys...
Picked up 3 books cheap on Ebay, actually found one
for FREE in town books.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW interesting as to how the Author of the book on the left--
has another book out titled Beginners Guide to DarkBasic Game programming.
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I might be too stupid for Unity. Defo too stupid for C++ !
PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2019 20:36
I like your curtains
PM
n64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2019 22:13
If it was not FPS Creator, I would not become a game developer today. So yeah, FPS Creator was my elementary school, which allowed me to grow up as a Game Developer.
UDKUltimate Engine, Create, Play and Share on PC, PS3 and Xbox360:
https://sites.google.com/view/udkultimate/

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 11th Oct 2019 17:45
Quote: " I might be too stupid for Unity. Defo too stupid for C++ !"

I'd have to disagree with you there. You should consider Playmaker. It's a visual script editor.

Thing is, for anyone considering learning Unity or any new program, you need to understand that you should have patience. A person can't just pickup a tool and thing they'll make a game tomorrow.

I'm certain Wolf had his ups and downs with Unity but his persistence has taken him to new heights in game dev.

If you don't want the Unity brand in your game... build your game in the free version and then upgrade at the very end.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 11th Oct 2019 20:06
Play maker is good, and for the next 3 days you can get it for a steal in a unity bundle being sold on humblebundle.com along with a lot of other great stuff.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 07:52:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 07:52:30