Product Chat / [LOCKED] Newsletter Criticism

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 7th Aug 2019 20:42 Edited at: 7th Aug 2019 20:44
Hi guys

It has come to my attention in the latest newsletter an issue with discussing store pricing, which is wholly inappropriate, it's based on the opinion of the author. This has no place in a newsletter whether unofficial, official, paid for or otherwise.It's not up to the opinion of the author to decide whether or not store pricing is fair, or reasonable.That is up to store admin, staff and users of the store, store admin has in the past removed or spoken to sellers to adjust pricing or remove content with unreasonable pricing.

As such any opinion of the author might and will likely have a negative impact on any seller in the store.I have taken it up with the author directly via pm message as a first option.The request is reasonable refraining from mentioning pricing.

Unfortunately the author didn't take to kindly, in short the response was, I do the newsletter and do not get paid for it, so I will share my opinion whether subjective or not as I deem fit.

This doesn't sit well with me it's not up to the author to discuss whether or not pricing is fair or reasonable or even market related for that matter.As it is TGC content and that of the store is significantly cheaper then any where else.Additionally pricing on the store is driven by competitiveness between sellers and quality of content on offer. Store seller have the right to make fair pricing, based on the quality, and popularity of content being offered by the seller and not based on the opinion of a 3rd party.
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
Argent Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2019 20:56 Edited at: 7th Aug 2019 20:58
What newsletter is this? Do you mean the link to NEWS at the top?
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2019 21:14
This one
https://www.game-guru.com/news-post/a-weekly-roundup-of-all-things-gameguru-from-boltaction-gaming-30
Argent Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah. I agree. Since that news article is part of the official site, it's not a good idea to say that someone's DLC is too expensive. What purpose does that even serve? And it calls out one developer (of DLCs) out of all of them.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This only highlights how cheap GG stuff is in general Personally I think people should charge whatever they want, if the quality is up it. Implying someones work is over priced is not great though. I'm sure it was a generalisation about GG's normal pricing policy. Personally if I think the quality is there and I need that object, I will pay the asking price. Not that I am rich, but I am all for choice. I certainly don't agree with the store forcing any fixed price on items. Not that it does as far as I am aware.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 07:27
Just looks like a personal observation that is quite balanced to me - the quality is also called out as is the general context of store pricing. Can’t see how that would prevent anyone purchasing if they want the assets. It is quite clear to me that the author is a guest poster to the TGC news and I read it in that context - an opinionated review of a person who is invested in GG and takes the regular time to give his view on what he sees.

Cheers.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 07:30 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 07:32
Quote: " Fredgames continues to impress though I'd argue his pricing is a smidge high for this market. Or heck, maybe it isn't. Maybe he's selling like hotcakes."

Direct quote from the newsletter, not only is demeaning towards the artist and full of sarcasm and baits the artist.This should NEVER have been posted in the first place.It is WHOLLY inappropriate, not the the least completely unprofessionally.

The author has done this before, maybe not in this newsletter that I am aware off, but has in his blog.In particular content I released some time ago.Which contained upwards of 60 or 80 fully PBR entities.Specifically mentioned that the price was too high.I actually had to reduce the price because of the author, to remedy the negative impact he had.That was on his blog, which is his right to do.

I didn't like it, but that was his website and his right, still he posted links to his blog posts here on the forum, so a wider audience can have a look.

I am currently working on a new content pack for the store with about 200+ possibly as much as 300 assets in it. Due for release soon.What is to stop the author complaining about the high price of the assets in a newsletter.Some thing I have been working on for the better part of 2 months.
Now I have to price according to avoid being called greedy, unreasonable and pricing not fair, all that based on a 3rd party opinion.
An opinion which affects my actual day job and financials, you can bet, it is going to irk me and rub me the wrong way.

The problem is, this is on the official website for all to see, it's biased, and is directed at a specific seller and singled out, Not even TGC would do some thing like that, no 3d content store newsletter ANY where for that matter will post about their sellers like that, period.Once money is involved there is limits and guidelines to appropriate and taboo opinions, especially on the official website, 3rd party and all.

Author have your say and opinion, just not EVER that or any opinion which might costs people money.
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 07:52 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 07:56
@wid, I read that newsletter soon as it was released, and to be honest thought nothing of that statement at all at the time.

However, on reflection, and with what you have mentioned here, I have to agree with you.

Perhaps an email to Lee or Jason would be in order, particularly since it would be viewed as official content - is possible they have not even read it themselves....

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 08:03
I can see why this irks you. I have had reviews and opinions made of my products in pc magazines that have done the same sometimes. Sometimes the reviews and opinion have made me happy. Either way it’s not controllable in any real way.

I still don’t see those specific comments being demeaning or full of sarcasm. I really don’t. I guess just the way they are read by different folks.

Cheers.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Author have your say and opinion, just not EVER that or any opinion which might costs people money."

so he should lie and give biased news to suit the sellers rather than an honest opinion (from a potential customer) which is more helpful to (other) potential customers? no thanks...
if you lowered your own pricing due to 1 comment online then maybe it was too high to begin with otherwise you could have happily ignored it whether it's from a mass news outlet or a small time blog.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 11:18
Quote: "so he should lie and give biased news to suit the sellers rather than an honest opinion (from a potential customer) which is more helpful to (other) potential customers? no thanks...
if you lowered your own pricing due to 1 comment online then maybe it was too high to begin with otherwise you could have happily ignored it whether it's from a mass news outlet or a small time blog."

It was $24.99 if I remember correctly, for 70 assets and he complained about it (0.35 cents an asset) It contained both none PBR and PBR assets of the same entities 140 assets in total. While it was a blog post he posts links on the forum with quite a few views.People might take his word for it and potentially have damaging and negative effect on sales.So you either ignore it and hope you get sales or fold.I chose to fold and paying for an opinion that is way, way of base and biased.

The problem is now those blog posts are on the official website, and is no longer considered opinion but "fact". If the author shares that EAI weapons are overpriced people ARE going to take notice and question pricing.It's got nothing to do with honesty, I don't know where you get the idea where I said he is lying or he should lie.It is about being biased towards a seller on the store which could have a negative affect on the seller's sales.Telling readers that he thinks this entity or seller is way over priced, on a official TGC website in the capacity of writing a newsletter is damning to any seller, considering plenty of people are going to read and potentially rob this person of sales as a direct result.

His average forum thread posts, while doing gameguru newsletters on his blog had over 700 views, that is enough to take notice even if just 10 people agree with his opinion that is quite a bit of potential sales that go out the door.10 sales a seller would never get back, 10 users who would then proceed to question every thing else you have available for sale, and potentially avoid the seller in future because of one opinion on a official website.

I can't afford to lose 10 sales, this is literally my day job, I can't afford for an opinion to impact my bread and butter, I can't afford not to take notice of the opinion and not address it.Was the price high , no, it was reasonable price of less then 0.40 cents an entity. I on average sell content packs with large number of entities between $20 and $30 so the price wasn't an anomaly either. But because the author decided based on an opinion, to question the pricing he had a negative impact on me.Even with the reduced price sales where significantly affected, compared to sales in general on new releases, and personally have the stats to back up my argument.

Is what he said based on honesty, NO it's based on a opinion, an opinion that outright questions the seller about his pricing.

Both you and cybernescence do not sell content on the TGC store as far as I am aware, it doesn't affect you in the slightest. It not about lying or sharing an opinion, it's about being unbiased towards sellers and users of the store and having a neutral stance in the newsletter, whether he agrees with pricing or not, it not up to him on a official newsletter to point at sellers and say they are selling overpriced items in his personal capacity.

His blog, his right to do as he pleases, outside this forum it doesn't concern me, but he posted links to his blog posts, so it did concern at that time and had to do some thing, to no avail I might add. That blog posts are part of a weekly official newsletter now, so now it would directly affect sellers, so readers WILL take notice.

No TGC newsletter in the last 13 years I have been here have EVER been directly and blatantly biased towards a fair range of topics, so why on earth should a 3rd party responsible for the newsletter be allowed to be biased on a official newsletter whether he gets paid for it or not at my or other sellers expense ?.
Argent Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with wizard of id. And I don't sell any content on the store. Whether we like it or not, first impressions affect people. And if the "official" newsletter is calling the pricing of a DLC into question, and someone has not previously had experience with the particular DLC or the creator of that DLC, then they may be left with the idea that their stuff is over-priced. As a result, they may avoid his content, depriving him of potential sales.

If something is over-priced, under-priced, or at just the right price is incredibly subjective. I, personally, don't think it is proper, on the official site where the pack is being offered, to even mention that someone thinks it could be over-priced. On one's own blog or website? That's a different story, imo. But not here. If someone is going to report on the pack, instead of stating that the price might be a "smidge high", state the price, the contents of the pack, and let the reader judge for themselves if the price is right.

It's also unfair because the author of the article is not comparing all content creators selling on the site, but singling out one particular individual with his comment. Even if unintended, it makes it seem like this one seller, compared to all others that sell on the store, prices their stuff too high.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 12:45 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 13:09
Has anyone read all the other news letters ?

Quote: "Looks like M2Design is getting busy with some new shacks. True story - one of my very first purchased models was one of his original shacks some four or five years ago. The guy makes good work and you should absolutely take a look at the newest offerings. You get 17 shacks for $6.50, a steal by any right."

Quote: "And lastly, by 'Moshroom' - probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while - a full JRPG script kit! It's on sale now for $13.00 which is a VERY reasonable price for such a complete script setup."

Quote: "Reliquia's beautiful Toonland Car now is available in a well priced pack: "

Quote: "LOTGD has been extremely busy adding several well priced models. Some do some very interesting things such as shoot cannonballs that can kill or injure a player. It's worth a look for the price he's asking.

Tarkus1971 has an 'Best of 2018 music pack' available which I have to say is totally worth the $19.99 price of admission (it's on sale currently from @24.99) as you get 31 top quality background tracks for that price. Even at full price, that's like 80 cents a track!"

Quote: "Well let's start with something pretty fantastic - a release by Slaur3n called 'Santa and the Evil Snowmen'. It's a really impressive minigame (single level) designed completely in GameGuru. You don't need GameGuru to purchase it, just a TheGameCreators store account. It's available for a reasonable price on the store ($2.50)."

Quote: "This week in the store we have some really excellent weapons by Mstockton - it's refreshing to see a modeller make the foray into weapons as they are such a tricky element to implement in GameGuru. So far he's made a melee-based series of a broken bottle (reskinned into four variants) and a night-stick baton (also with 4 different weapon skins). The animations are decent and for the price ($3 USD!), you can't go wrong. "

Quote: "his week I added my pack freebie "Lonely Ice" to two different packs - owners of the 4K HD Space Skies pack will get it - as will the many Bonus Sampler Pack owners out there! If you're looking for a low-priced way to check out one of the new 4K Skies, this is definitely the best option. The Bonus Sampler's normal price is $1.50!"

Quote: "his week's totally subjective analysis of store items is.. fairly extensive. Significant amounts of creativity went into the new items on the store!
There's a superb AFV from relative newcomer Zubil0: You can get your copy here, it's well priced at a meager $2.50! "

That's just a few … Should he not mention anything about the store ?
From what I can see these are all just his opinions.

And then there are many like this ..,

Quote: "The natives are getting very restless. Six months of bug fixes were promised and many are anxiously awaiting what is mostly anticipated as a very large update. TheGameCreators have been extremely tight lipped about their current workings so it's led to a significant amount of speculation from the community with respect to worry about a lackluster or nonexistent release."

Quote: "There's lots of ripples in the water, but nothing breaking the surface yet. So far, a fairly tame week for news. Nothing on GitHub. Nothing on steam. Nothing on the forums. Officially, at least. I'll hold off on rumor-mongering until something more concrete forms."

Should Lee tell him not to post things that give GG a bad light ?
Its all swings and roundabouts really ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Argent Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Except all of those mention how well priced or decently priced or what a steal the price is. The news post in question talks about the DLC being over-priced. The quotes you provide have the potential to boost sales. The quote wizard of id posted has the potential to harm sales. Since this newsletter is part of the official site, it isn't a good practice to give an opinion that could potentially harm the sales of something being sold on the same site he is writing for. But, hey, this is just my opinion, too.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 13:10 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 13:12
Quote: "Except all of those mention how well priced or decently priced or what a steal the price is. "

Exactly my point and no one minds that … So if he thinks its high in his opinion ?
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 13:17
Quote: "I agree with wizard of id. And I don't sell any content on the store. Whether we like it or not, first impressions affect people. And if the "official" newsletter is calling the pricing of a DLC into question, and someone has not previously had experience with the particular DLC or the creator of that DLC, then they may be left with the idea that their stuff is over-priced. As a result, they may avoid his content, depriving him of potential sales.

If something is over-priced, under-priced, or at just the right price is incredibly subjective. I, personally, don't think it is proper, on the official site where the pack is being offered, to even mention that someone thinks it could be over-priced. On one's own blog or website? That's a different story, imo. But not here. If someone is going to report on the pack, instead of stating that the price might be a "smidge high", state the price, the contents of the pack, and let the reader judge for themselves if the price is right.

It's also unfair because the author of the article is not comparing all content creators selling on the site, but singling out one particular individual with his comment. Even if unintended, it makes it seem like this one seller, compared to all others that sell on the store, prices their stuff too high. "

The additional problem I have is nowhere in the article does it actually state, the news he is reporting on is based on the opinion of the author and TGC has no affiliation with the author nor condones or share the view of the author of the newsletter. As such an argument could be made it is based on "fact" rather then opinion.The omission of TGC clearly distancing them from the newsletter's opinions and views shared, is as good as if TGC wrote it them self.

Considering the relative small fry of the store and the monthly sales the store generates in general, one would consider damages to be minimal, however there is still damages that take place as a result of views and opinion being shared and due to the omission of TGC distancing them self from the views of the author and making it clear that the newsletter is the opinion of the author and not that of TGC.

As a result some one would need to be responsible if and when damages occur due to sharing an opinion as fact or sharing a view TGC them self would not share or discuss.TGC would be liable if and when any damages occur as a direct result of sharing a biased and unfounded opinion is shared.Which is why ANY newsletter worth it's salt for that matter would try and be unbiased as far as possible and focus on positive aspects of the news they are covering and omit any financially negative or possibly financially damaging news without direct cause or well formulated unbiased facts that prove contrary to opinions.

The fact that a newsletter publicly available on the official TGC website, which I might added is also advertised and easily accessible could have a negative impact on store sales of every one and have real financial consequences , GREATLY concerns me.Opinion or fact there is a fine line one needs to walk especially when there is real money involved and unintended consequences could physically result in irreparable damages to all involved.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The additional problem I have is nowhere in the article does it actually state, the news he is reporting on is based on the opinion of the author "

Absolutely true !!
That's a good idea
PM
Argent Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 13:28 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 13:29
Quote: "Quote: "Except all of those mention how well priced or decently priced or what a steal the price is. "

Exactly my point and no one minds that … So if he thinks its high in his opinion ?"

My point was, if an "official" newsletter for TGC helps to sell items on their own store, that's good. The newsletter is helping to drive traffic to their own store to help sell the items the store offers. This benefits everyone - the store, the creator of the DLC, and those looking to buy. But when an "official" newsletter gives the opinion that an item is priced too high, then that HURTS both the store and the content creator. If the opinion of the newsletter writer is not that good, it has the potential to hurt those looking to buy as they could miss out on some great DLCs.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 13:43 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 13:50
Quote: "Quote: "Except all of those mention how well priced or decently priced or what a steal the price is. "

Exactly my point and no one minds that … So if he thinks its high in his opinion ?"

Because the good opinions outweigh the odd bad opinion, makes every thing high and dandy. The keyword every misses is "BIASED" not some thing you can have on a newsletter whether based on opinion or fact.

"The author can for example say I found a few items on the store that might be slightly over priced in my opinion, be weary of those items, if possible shop around and compare prices for your self."

Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable response and opinion, it's unbiased and informs readers in a reasonable unfettered fashion, without drawing specific attention to a specific seller or item.

The moment you draw direct attention to a seller or item, you are no longer unbiased, and you are doing direct harm to that party.For some one that has made thousands of dollars, via the store, steam and contractual work, it would be significantly damaging to the point of being cause for restitution as a result.It is a direct threat to me.Remember I mentioned I do this for a living, the store and else where is part of my normal cause of business.So while this might seem like a none issue to you, and not worth the paper it's written on you are talking about my and other seller's money like it's worthless.

If you PM me I would gladly give you some idea how important this is to me, which is why I am taking seriously, I wouldn't have bought it up if it wasn't.It's not up to a 3rd party on a official newsletter to decided what is and isn't fair pricing, whether good or bad, without having down the ground work and research to backup any claims to suggest otherwise.We are talking about actual money being exchanged, that is pretty serious whether small change or large amounts.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 13:46 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 13:47
Quote: "My point was, if an "official" newsletter for TGC helps to sell items"

Its not actually an "official" newsletter which is why he is free to give the good and the bad about GameGuru as noted above when he mentions lack of communication from TGC ..

I think WOI nailed it to be honest and it should have a " The news reported on is based on the opinion of the author and TGC has no affiliation with the author " at the top of the newsletter..

In my honest opinion ... You guys are to cheap. There is some incredible work on the store worth far more than you ask.
But again .. That's just my opinion.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 13:52 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 14:01
Quote: "The newsletter is helping to drive traffic to their own store to help sell the items the store offers."

But they don't have their own store.

The store like the newsletter does not belong to TGC, it is owned by a third party and independent of GameGuru.

I agree that this sort of thing shouldn't be in a newsletter that although not an official TGC newsletter, is advertised within the official news channels for TGC and thus can be viewed by many as official, this kind of thing can be damaging to sales and in some cases can reduce the income of the artist. I don't begrudge the author his views, i agree there are some items on the store that are overpriced for the quality and the market they're being sold in, and on the flip side there's plenty that are under priced too, but as this newsletter is being syndicated by TGC and although not official will always in peoples mind reflect the views of TGC, there is no place for personal bias, if it is to be syndicated on this website then it should remain neutral. The moment i saw it myself my head went back and my eyes popped out and i thought whoa, that's crossing the line.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 13:56 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 14:00
Quote: "he store does not belong to TGC, it is owned by a third party and independent of GameGuru."

That's a really good point as well … Perhaps this should be discussed on the Store Discord ?
Jason could then discuss it with Bag if he feels it necessary.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 13:59
Quote: "Its not actually an "official" newsletter which is why he is free to give the good and the bad about GameGuru as noted above when he mentions lack of communication from TGC .."
Well it's posted to the news section on the forum about official as you can get.

Look not every will agree with me, which is fine, i approached the author privately first and the reaction wasn't pleasant to say the least.Secondary action was to have it public, and try and get the information out there as well as some reasonable and fair action be taken.

If can't change it the more people see it and read about it, the more informed users are what the views are the happier I am.

A 3rd issue popped up as well, the newsletter is quite one sided as well, at no point has a seller any say or opportunity to defend them self with regards to any opinion put forward.That is why being biased especially in this instance a terrible idea.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 14:03
Quote: "That's a really good point as well … Perhaps this should be discussed on the Store Discord ?
Jason could then discuss it with Bag .."

Actually emailed jason, rick and lee yesterday already. Jason responded already, this issue isn't in his domain, website or store, and is not remotely responsible, who or what gets approved for the website.While he understands my concern, rick and lee needs to answer for it.
He is not even sure if the newsletter get approved before going live.

This is a TGC issue , as it gets posted to the TGC website, mentioning of the store is secondary.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 14:09 Edited at: 8th Aug 2019 14:12
Quote: "Look not every will agree with me, which is fine,"

I actually agree with many points and ideas you mentioned and you approached him first as you stated, all done in the correct manner.
Im just saying to me its pretty non bias to everyone including TGC.
No reason why he couldnt add a disclaimer and it would then be a neutral report as far as i can see..
In fact he should for his own protection like this situation ..
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 14:33
Quote: "I actually agree with many points and ideas you mentioned and you approached him first as you stated, all done in the correct manner.
Im just saying to me its pretty non bias to everyone including TGC.
No reason why he couldnt add a disclaimer and it would then be a neutral report as far as i can see..
In fact he should for his own protection like this situation .."

To mention some thing else, while the store is no longer operated or owned by TGC it is still supported and integrated into the game guru software. There is also support for their other apps.

So they still have a formal obligation towards the store with regards to news or content posted that might shed negative or positive light on the store.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2019 15:10
Quote: "That's a really good point as well … Perhaps this should be discussed on the Store Discord ?"

Agree, since it is a seller private chat, as the issue has to do with selling stuff on store.

Personally I can read, listen, the opinions of the crowd, but as a person and in this case as a consumer I have the last word.

In other words, if I find in a store the specific object that I need, with the characteristics and quality that I am looking for, I am going to buy it and I do not care what people think, neither television nor internet Not even my aunt Josefina.

I never understood why a person can allow the masses to determine what they should buy or consume.

If the negative comments of people determine the direction of my life is that something does not work, and lowering or raising the price of things is not the solution.

I always heard about the low prices of the store, and I think it is true, the store is full of under priced objects, the price quality relationship is not met, since the items have prices that do not correspond to good quality of the objects.

I am aware that there may be vendors for whom the store's income may be important, this is something very serious and I respect it.

In my case I and no one but me, I will determine the prices of my objects.
Consumers are free to buy or not.

There are models that require a lot of work, time, dedication, knowledge, extremely expensive modeling software, hardaware etc., there is a whole investment around, to be able to create such models, and the price does not correspond far away, since it is not about only from a static table, which does nothing.

I enjoy creating models in my own way, and to those who buy them, thank you very much for doing so.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2019 03:30 Edited at: 9th Aug 2019 03:37
Well, this is disappointing. Does anyone else see the irony in that it's ok to criticize the report but not the products on the store?
I am extremely surprised to see such a venerable member of the GameGuru community would take it upon himself to cry foul about the mention of quality or pricing of objects on the store - especially when there are heaps upon heaps of positive praise for his own works on the very blog he criticizes.

That said, I do understand the position and to be fair found Mr. WID's original email brushed me the wrong way. I could have responded better. Heck, I'm irritated now, but will keep it civil. He should be more honest though and note that I did specifically say "I can try but given that's a subjective opinion on a subjective newsletter that is not paid for or endorsed by TGC, that's entirely up to me whether I decide to do that or not."

Please note, that the first three words were "I can try". I then objectively stated that the newsletter is entirely up to me.

My blog has been around in several iterations from the fpscreloadedreview to 'thegamegurureport'. I'm author of the sole book in production for GameGuru and have invested thousands of hours in both the actual engine itself and my efforts for the community. To receive such a scathing rebuke from someone simply because they are worried about their own products is, as mentioned, disappointing.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2019 07:21 Edited at: 9th Aug 2019 10:56
Quote: "My blog has been around in several iterations from the fpscreloadedreview to 'thegamegurureport'. I'm author of the sole book in production for GameGuru and have invested thousands of hours in both the actual engine itself and my efforts for the community. To receive such a scathing rebuke from someone simply because they are worried about their own products is, as mentioned, disappointing."

Sorry, who, what, are you ? Are you some how special and above reproach because you had you own blog, sole author of a book, does that in ANY way give you the right to cause damage to some one else, either to their reputation or sales on the store.Because you earned that right ? I like how you use "INVESTED", lets talk about money and effort and accomplishments, I am the author of two gameguru steam DLC's, contributor to various other DLC's, the winner of several gameguru competitions, the author of several maps found in gameguru.

Pictures of those maps is widely used, on steam and on this very forum.100's of models in the main software.
Spend thousand of hours fighting for the community doing bug reports via email with lee and rick, before rick moved over to to deal with other parts of TGC. Worked with lee on EBE, worked with lee, in getting the basics of top down camera working.Hell I have been around since the release of the original FPSC and the release of X10, and been doing my part for the community since then.

At no point in this entire thread did EVER use that to my advantage, as away to argue my rights, my view or opinion being more valid then yours.The fact that you had to resort to that type of argument of how did you put it, "scantily" behavior and to try and force submission and pull focus away from the real problem. It actually brings about your true colors, for the world to see and bless you for that, I couldn't have done it better my self.

While I mentioned my self, it isn't even remotely just directed at me alone, I have been fighting for the right of store sellers well before you came along, just not in public view, you are more then welcome to ask jason, if this is the case.

Fact of the matter is you can't go about nilly, willy sharing facts or opinions in a newsletter, that is damaging to a store seller or another user without just cause.Personally didn't want to say it, but what you actually done is open your self civil and perhaps libel claims.However innocent you may think your comment might have been.You may have caused irreparable damage to the reputation and financials of the seller you mentioned in the newsletter, to such extent he can use it as evidence to claim inherit damages as a direct result.

While the store is small fry and perhaps not worth the effort or money, some one might disagree and on principle take legal action against you for a simple comment you think is innocent that causes no harm.Personally I used the example of my self, that you have done it before at my expense with zero accountability or regard for what you said, in fact that post of yours where you complained about my pricing was well over a year ago, actually close to 2 years now.

Why would I all of a sudden after many moons decide to tackle that comment, personally I let it be, it happened, water under the bridge to be honest, it was used as an example, the damage was done, and have no ill will for it.

The latest comment in the newsletter renewed my desire to protect both my self and that of other store sellers from, unwarranted comments and actions that could have serious negative impact on me and my fellow store sellers, just because of a opinion that is posted on the official website.

I shouldn't have to mention, I am not even mentioned in this newsletter, how is this about me, about a silly comment several months ago that cost me sales, which I never spoke or contacted you about in the first place.It's not about me, it's about you being biased towards another seller, and opening your self and that of TGC to a world of legal trouble should a random person on the store decide to take you on.Don't believe me, perhaps you should phone a lawyer.

BTW I see you sent a private message, I didn't read it nor am I planning on doing so, I contacted you via PM, and asked that you stop, you declined as such, it's my right to post in public and contact the site owners as the next logic step.

Just to make it clear, you trying to actively to rob me of the ability to have my say publicly , on the newsletter I have no say in, or right to defend my self and other store seller's from harmful and biased comments about the store , after contacting you privately to resolve the matter which I might add, was full of self importance and advocating your right to do whatever you want at the expense of store sellers, with zero accountability or regard to store sellers.To make it also abundantly clear posting of PM's, in part or in full is against the AUP.

If you are wondering why now.The answer is quite simple, when posted to your blog, you are still accountable for your actions but much harder to get action taken in your private capacity, while you may think you are entitled and have rights to post whatever you want, your are still liable for civil and libel damages.

Authoring a newsletter, on a official website even with or without a disclaimer, still doesn't excuse certain actions, however it is far more easier to have action taken and acceptance of unwarranted behavior, when some one else (site owner) is in part or fully responsible for your actions.They approved posting of such opinions and comments on their own accord, reliance on you taking action necessary to remedy the problem no longer sits with you, and in the public foray, every one is aware of it, and even without intervention or remedial action from the site owner, will give readers a second thought about any comments or opinions in future.It gives us the sellers an opportunity to also share our thoughts, where we were otherwise denied such action in the past.

While it may seem insignificant to you as well as others, it is quite serious, being posted on a official website, whether as a 3rd party or as a official member of staff, opinions are regarded as fact, whether respected or trusted, there is sufficient evidence some one will take your word for it, and have a negative and damaging impact, whether a small insignificant comment is made or opinion shared.It's definitely not about being factual or true, it might be, it's the bias surrounding it, however innocent it may seem, the damaging impact it might have can't be ignored.

Questioning my reputation and character as a defense for action taken here is quite a low blow.I don't care much for reputation, valued opinion and fighting and standing up for one's rights and that of others and advocating for them, when they can't or don't want to, is far more desirable even at the expense of reputation. I will much rather be the bad guy, make humiliating mistakes, and continue to fight for a goal or reasonable action. Whether here or in my personal life, respect, reputation and good character, is not how you get things done, nor do I care for it nor about saving grace at the same time.I much rather be respected for fighting for rights and advocating them, above all else.

I think another interesting topic arose, that people seem to want a discuss, or as using as a quantitative defense for opinions and comments is that the consumer has the right to know.However much they have the right to know, it can't be done at the expense and bias of the seller there are reasonable comprises that could remedy the problem without being bias.The seller also have quantitative rights with regards as to what he/she may sell for within a reasonable bracket or target.There is no need for a consumer watchdog or treating of consumer like they don't know any better.

They are more then able to decide for them self whether or pricing is fair and reasonable, advocating for them in certain circumstances is definitely worth it, if and when there is majority pricing discrepancies as a whole and majority could benefit from it.However in this environment it is neither applicable or warranted, as this market as with others like it, purely supply and demand and there no is quantitative reasoning or ceiling, neither written rules of acceptable pricing when it comes to this market place and other like it.It is purely based on how much the consumer is willing to pay for and need the services of the seller. Unbiased reporting benefits both.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 9th Aug 2019 10:54
While i agree with what you are saying WoID, an article syndicated by a company like this should be impartial and only report facts, there is a bit of a Pot kettle black scenario going on here.

I seem to remember quite clearly in your thread in which you were showcasing your official DLC (i think it was the cold war dlc), you were basically telling people to shut up and stop trying to give advice in a very arrogant and rude manner (which is why i no longer buy yours or any official DLC) because you had "done" this, that, the other and were basically better than anyone else.

So while i agree with the spirit of your complaint in principal, please don't try to take the holier than thou route, it isn't very becoming.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Lets keep it civil guys or its going to get locked and you can sort it out amongst yourselves privately
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2019 12:17
Thread lock as this one has run its course here.

Please take this up with TGC in emails.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:43:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:43:03