Product Chat / Hey All

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: GameGuru
Posted: 27th Mar 2019 06:10 Edited at: 27th Mar 2019 07:54
So really no idea where to post this but I have had Game Guru for a few years now, and was wondering if people could help me out with a few things.

Firstly I am wondering how do you change the speed of Aiming Down Sights it feels a bit slow for me personally compared to the movement of enemy npc's (If it helps I'm using BSP's sci-fi weapons)

Secondly is there a way to attach weapons to character models such as the sci-fi aliens from the sci-fi pack as I would like them to shoot the player but the alien models doesn't have weapons as far as I could tell. Also in First Person is there a way to attach a body to the character? (I understand if you can't) EDIT: Just found a thing called character creator and is exactly what I was looking for to add weapons to different characters

Really I'm just mucking around and if any of these things aren't possible it's not the end of world.

I am creating a level with the EBE as in like narrow corridors and stuff to be similar to the old school games like doom and quake and the EBE seems to be pretty decent for creating levels fast those. The idea is to have some sort of map where the player goes around a space station sort of place and basically the starting room is like a hub in the level where paths goes somewhere to collect a key for a door that goes somewhere completes some sort of objective and gets another key and unlocks another path until all paths are complete and the final boss is destroyed. The idea behind this level is to teach me how to use the EBE and the systems Game Guru has.

Lastly is there a way to play a looped sound effect for ever till the game is complete?

Anyway thanks for your help regards
Wayne
Regards
WAYZ AKA A Guy About A Game
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2019 17:17
Its important to get into the mindset that you'll have to make a good 70% of your game outside of GG's editor. That way it will be less frustrating later on. Remember that all edits should be done without GG running in the background.

Quote: "Firstly I am wondering how do you change the speed of Aiming Down Sights it feels a bit slow for me personally compared to the movement of enemy npc's (If it helps I'm using BSP's sci-fi weapons) "

Increase the value of "simplezoomspeed" (in the gunspec file)

Quote: "Secondly is there a way to attach weapons to character models such as the sci-fi aliens from the sci-fi pack as I would like them to shoot the player but the alien models doesn't have weapons as far as I could tell."

Sure, you can add a weapon by editing the .fpe file. (has weapon = gamecore/yourweapon ) Just compare with a character that has a weapon by default, change the relevant line with the weapon you want them to have. There is a good chance you want to give them a different or custom script as well.

Quote: " Also in First Person is there a way to attach a body to the character?"

Sure, check it out. However, I had that script up and running in 2015 and things certainly changed since then. See what you can find out for yourself here.

Quote: "Lastly is there a way to play a looped sound effect for ever till the game is complete?"

Yeah, you can drag a soundzone all over your level and have that play your sound (there are a few scripts for this in GG by default). Thats not the most elegant solution but the simplest one.

-Wolf
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Mar 2019 19:50
what is the difference between simplezoomspeed and alt simplezoomspeed ?
on some gun spec files there is no difference if i change the simplezoomspeed , and on other guns if i make the simplezoomspeed more then it is even more slower when i down sights, ?
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DaRealWAZY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2019 12:11
Firstly thanks wolf for your help I was meant to reply sooner but have been busy procrastating and also that pesky thing adults call work

Quote: "Its important to get into the mindset that you'll have to make a good 70% of your game outside of GG's editor. That way it will be less frustrating later on."

Yeah I remember that from when I first started using gameguru a while back.

Quote: "Remember that all edits should be done without GG running in the background."

Ok cool but why I used to make edits when it was running, is this because some issues can arise?

Quote: "Increase the value of "simplezoomspeed" (in the gunspec file)"

ok what is a gunspec file (sorry I am a noob here)

Quote: "Sure, you can add a weapon by editing the .fpe file. (has weapon = gamecore/yourweapon ) Just compare with a character that has a weapon by default, change the relevant line with the weapon you want them to have. There is a good chance you want to give them a different or custom script as well."

Yeah but the character creator allows you to add weapons tocharacters already which is cool however I think since I am going for a weird style of game maybe most enemies will be using melee attacks with a few that uses projectiles that the player can dodge, If I am correct the rocket launcher character is not a hitscan like all other weapons for enemies and can be dodged (not sure havent done any testing on this) and because I want the game to be fair and not use hitscanned weapons it is better to design enemies that do melee or attacks that the player can dodge.

Quote: "Sure, check it out. However, I had that script up and running in 2015 and things certainly changed since then. See what you can find out for yourself here."

It would be cool to have but not entirely needed but if I do need to have a player character I would need to learn 3D modelling to have the player hands match the hands with weapons and to be fair is a good skill to learn I suppose just have no idea where to start learning 3D Modelling haha. Atleast then I can create custom weapons for the game and stuff like that. Fragmotion I see is used a lot for animating the characters here by other GameGuru users is it also a good tool for creating 3D models or should I look at 3DS Max or similar? Maybe even Blender however I struggled with Blender when I first wanted to learn 3D modelling. To be honest I dont even know what are good 3D modelling programs that are easy to learn but powerful enough to be used for game assets.

What are good places to learn how to make models for a first time user and a easy program? (I seem to be bad at googling this or google gives me results I am not looking for, or I am just not good at googling?)

anyways thanks
Regards
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2019 12:22
I would suggest Fragmotion or Blender. As they are free to use and learn with. Plus if you decide that 3d modeling is not for you, then you have spent no money.
Once you choose a program, then more instructions can be given for the program you choose.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

DaRealWAZY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2019 05:12
Ok I chose fragmotion as it seems people who use blender uses fragmotion to add it into gameguru (I think I could be wrong). Also fragmotion on the website has a buy button. But I did download it and I see how it works it can be free forever if you dont mind it asking you to buy it everyweek and everytime you open the program. If I get into making models I will buy it
Regards
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
You can create custom projectiles now so you could make bullets and edit the guns to use those instead which means they will no longer hitscan but actually use a moving projectile like the RPG (of course you can edit the speed).
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 31st Mar 2019 11:33
Quote: "people who use blender uses fragmotion to add it into gameguru (I think I could be wrong). "

Mostly you're wrong. Generally most models will go straight into gameguru from Blender with no issues. However you are right to a certain extent for characters.

Where characters are concerned there is a bone zeroing and weighting issue between gameguru and blenders .x exporter, which can be fixed by importing it into fragmotion then exporting it out again.

This can be fixed in blender before exporting, but its a longish process, so its easier just to run it through fragmotion.

With regards to actual modelling, fragmotion is pretty good and easy enough to use, but compared to blender its pretty basic on features, you may find later on when you get deep into modelling you might want to switch to something with more features.

But as i always say, usr what you are comfortable using.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
DaRealWAZY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2019 11:53 Edited at: 31st Mar 2019 11:57
Quote: "You can create custom projectiles now so you could make bullets and edit the guns to use those instead which means they will no longer hitscan but actually use a moving projectile like the RPG (of course you can edit the speed)."

Nice that is a welcome change I like it but still for my first game I won't dabble much into projectiles except for a couple of different ones mostly things that can be dodged but also can hit the player if he is not cautious.

The idea of the game is to make the player feel powerful and he should as he is meant to be powerful. (Think of Masterchief meets doom) not as good as these games ofcourse but something to pay homage to the great FPS games of the past and is just a small hobby project.

Quote: "Mostly you're wrong. Generally most models will go straight into gameguru from Blender with no issues. However you are right to a certain extent for characters.

Where characters are concerned there is a bone zeroing and weighting issue between gameguru and blenders .x exporter, which can be fixed by importing it into fragmotion then exporting it out again.

This can be fixed in blender before exporting, but its a longish process, so its easier just to run it through fragmotion.

With regards to actual modelling, fragmotion is pretty good and easy enough to use, but compared to blender its pretty basic on features, you may find later on when you get deep into modelling you might want to switch to something with more features.

But as i always say, usr what you are comfortable using."

Thanks for your input. I think fragmotion is a bit easier to learn than blender and if I do manage to get deep into modelling then I will or could change to modelling program with more features like blender. Well I am glad that blender can mostly import into GameGuru and I see where I got that wrong but I am glad you clarified that been a blender user yourself and a very decent 3D modeller
Regards
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2019 18:18
Quote: "Ok cool but why I used to make edits when it was running, is this because some issues can arise?"

I don't know. I just noticed that a lot of changes are simply not loaded when you have the editor running.

Quote: "ok what is a gunspec file (sorry I am a noob here)"

The gunspec file controls all attributes of a HUD object (weapon or so) in game guru. You can edit it with notepad and find them in: GameGuru/files/gamecore/guns

Quote: "What are good places to learn how to make models for a first time user and a easy program?"

Anything goes. I use milkshape and there are a lot of hobbyist solutions like deled, Blender or wings 3d that are free.
This seems nice if you want to spend a little.

All tools should have some form of beginner tutorials as well.

-Wolf
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2019 18:58
Here is another one, promising.i have it installed but not played with it yet though

https://rocket3f.com/

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Wolf said; "Its important to get into the mindset that you'll have to make a good 70% of your game outside of GG's editor. That way it will be less frustrating later on."
and.... "I just noticed that a lot of changes are simply not loaded when you have the editor running."

Yeah, I'm really dense, but never heard of this. What kind of changes? Changes to models? Cause isn't the editor the thing you need to use to make changes!? I had an object that kept going back to it's original scale after I changed it (in editor widget) then ran test level. Are those the kinds of things you talking about?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
no, he's talking about changing the files, at the very least you should reopen the map or a new level if you edit say the fpe file of a model
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 16:01
Quote: "Yeah, I'm really dense, but never heard of this. What kind of changes? Changes to models? Cause isn't the editor the thing you need to use to make changes!? "

Don't you worry, I have a for dense people

Yes, changes to models, scripts, textures, fpe files, gunspec files, .ini files, .fx files. All those necessary things you can't do in-editor.

-Wolf
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2019 03:51
On the plus side you can edit LUA script files with the map open at the same time, without any issues. Just edits to things like FPE, FX and etc like mentioned above will mostly likely require you to restart your map to see the changes reflected.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2019 02:18
Hey, thats really a time saving thing to know. Thanks T!
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2019 15:57
Be warned though that just running test game over and over does not clear out the Lua environments correctly!

For simple testing it is probably sufficient but to correctly test your level you should always restart GG so you start with a clean sheet so to speak.

In fact if you get any strange behaviour, before launching into a prolongued and possibly fruitless Lua debugging effort, try restarting GG to see if the strange nehaviour is still present. If it is then most likely it is a real scripting error.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 21:20
Really great advise Amen and probably one of the reasons I've been experiencing some issues recently. I tend to leave GG open for hours on end without closing, doing scripting tests.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Same... Yeah, it does seem to refresh any new script work.
Can't say the same for entities, especially when you are working
on textures and want to look at the new texture you just tweaked.
Wish it re-loaded all points of the map-- or a button option to cause it
to re-load upon test might be nice.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:18:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:18:17