Product Chat / Some Problems with GameGuru (And how to fix them)

Author
User Banned
Posted: 13th Feb 2019 20:13
So, I had a discussion with another fellow game developer by the name of High Toxicity, making games for fun like myself, and it also appears that the engine is running off the DarkBasic coding format from the 90's-early 2000's?

This individual in particular was able to find references to the DarkBasic coding format in the GitHub source code files, of which I am also able to confirm, as I was able to find a few references to a "Dark AI Integration" as well as some other I don't have time to mention, with the current source code build available on GitHub in the developer notes, and a few other parts. I also was able to find out that the DX11 update from a few months back with its additions of Godrays, normal mapping, and other uncompressed lighting techniques seem to tank the performance of larger maps in particular?

Ones, such as my own from RPLODS, and others like: Morning Mountain Stroll, The Big Escape, and Get to the River, for example have been suffering from serious performance issues as of late on my end while I've been making the game with a few of them. And granted, I was able to find other ways of improving performance by practically neutering their graphical fidelity on my AMD R5 integrated/RX 560 Switchable GPU cards, but apparently these seem to be parts of another issue altogether, mainly having to do with the base structure of the code language itself only being optimizable to a certain extent.

I've also dealt with an egregious amount of entity placement lag in the editor itself throughout the entire process of making most, if not all, levels for my upcoming project, RPLODS. The cutscenes seem to have been broken by the DX11 update. And the main menus of the game appear to be very unpredictably unstable at many various times.

Here's a few solutions (In my opinion):

1. Roll back the GameGuru engine to its DX9 counterpart until a suitable build of the DX11 version can be built, and improved upon performance-wise, as the GitHub source code developer notes "GG Testing Plan" first state underneath The Installation section: "1. First ensure your test environment is backed up to protect against catastrophic failure". So, I'd naturally assume that extends to all of the talented GameGuru developers have a backup copy of their DX9 engine varient stored somewhere?

2. Add a dedicated menu editor inside of the GameGuru program, like the one featured in FPSCx9, for instance. This would not only improve the actual performance of the main menu, (which does seem to be a bit unstable during loading screens in particular) but the user's effciency of the ability to make these menus to begin with.

3. Optimize Entity placement lag. I'm not sure exactly how to fix this issue in particular, but I'm sure that it is more than do-able (maybe use a slightly lower poly model while in the placement mode?)

4. Fix the cutscenes with the DX9 rollback. The DX11 update seems to have completely broken the cutscenes, no longer do they just require the .mp4 file alone to play, but they now require a .mp4 file, and a separate .ogg audio file too (which does seem to be very out of sync with the video in the cutscene at most times).

5. Compress the shader maps to improve performance across the board. The uncompressed shaders seem to even hinder the performance of beefier rigs, like ones using NVidia GTX 1080ti's and upward getting about 30 or so FPS on high settings, and 40-45 FPS on lower settings.

If these things can be addressed and fixed in a timely manner, then it would be greatly appreciated by myself, and many other members of the community.

Thanks,
-PCVeteran
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 13th Feb 2019 21:16 Edited at: 13th Feb 2019 21:21
No, gameguru is not dbasic, hasn't been for a couple of years, it was rewritten in C+, there are still some bits of dbasic in there, but its mostly C now.

As to dx11 being more "laggy" than dx9, many people as far as i know have found dx11 to be a lot faster and less laggy than the dx11 version, your issue is probably because you are using dx9 maps without resaving and relightmapping them.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2019 00:18 Edited at: 14th Feb 2019 00:27
I found the DX11 version much faster but there are some that didn't think so ..

Quote: "The uncompressed shaders seem to even hinder the performance of beefier rigs, like ones using NVidia GTX 1080ti's and upward getting about 30 or so FPS on high settings, and 40-45 FPS on lower settings."

That does seem low for that … I get anywhere between 69 to 80fps ( with Vsync off ) on the Big escape on High detail and im using a GTX 970. If I drop to a medium setting im around 75 to 110.
Vsync on and its a pretty constant 60 all the way
I could do with more Ram though im only on 6 gig … I see many gamers are around 16 gig now
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Tauren
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PUBG,Conan Exiles,WoW,HoMM III,MoO 2,Master of Orion 2016
Posted: 14th Feb 2019 11:26 Edited at: 14th Feb 2019 11:27
@PCVeteran: In my humble opinion, it became really possible to work with GG just only after to the DX11 update.
And although there are still enough problems, all the same now we can do something and work relatively normally, with a fairly fast map loading and acceptable performance and as well with more cute visualization.
Compared (November DX11 Public Preview) with last DX9 version and state until 2018, this is heaven and earth , I think.
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
//2. Add a dedicated menu editor inside of the GameGuru program, like the one featured in FPSCx9, for instance. This would not only improve the actual performance of the main menu, (which does seem to be a bit unstable during loading screens in particular) but the user's efficiency of the ability to make these menus to begin with.//

Well, obviously an absolutely overwhelming agreement ^^^^^ by all GG users. Anyone not on board with this?

If and when I review GG, this will be one of the primary lack of features of concern.
What happened to cause it to be missing?? It's incomplete without such basic hassle- free tools.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2019 23:47 Edited at: 14th Feb 2019 23:53
Quote: "What happened to cause it to be missing?? It's incomplete without such basic hassle- free tools."

One has never been added … But in all fairness it seems most 3D engines don't. Leadwerks, Coppercube, S2 Engine HD they just supply a basic Menu.lua ( if your lucky ) and your left to fend for yourself and code your own.

Although a pain in the butt so far GG is the easiest for me out of all those. Its all editable at least
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2019 23:53
Quote: "//2. Add a dedicated menu editor inside of the GameGuru program, like the one featured in FPSCx9, for instance. This would not only improve the actual performance of the main menu, (which does seem to be a bit unstable during loading screens in particular) but the user's efficiency of the ability to make these menus to begin with.//"

I don't believe TGC will be working on feature improvements for another 6 months or so. The FPSCx9 one was quite nice and worked well. sometimes it would fail to bring over files but so does GG
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote " most 3D engines don't. Leadwerks, Coppercube, S2 Engine HD ..."

We shouldn't compare nuts to G Gems... !

There's a few things about LW and S2 that seem interesting though.
But their communities are much more sparse, and if anything is going forward, GG shall!
I hope.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2019 11:24 Edited at: 16th Feb 2019 11:42
Quote: "We shouldn't compare nuts to G Gems... ! "

Oh I wasn't Comparing IMHO GG beats them hands down ..
I just meant it as an example to show its not such a basic or common feature as you think in a 3D engine if its going to be a primary part of your review.

Style Guru still works though and that can take a lot of the pain out of it
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212352
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:24:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:24:51