Scripts / Logic Chain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2019 12:32 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2019 12:33
Sorry for the double post but trying the get the attention of the community and make sure everyone sees it.
I made this feature request here:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220383

Please share any thoughts you might have.
Agree
Disagree
Don't care

Mods: If it is a problem, Feel free to delete this topic and move the one I linked in to Generals

Thanks.
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2019 13:10 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2019 16:28
[Edited]
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2019 13:39 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2019 14:11
Quote: "Cool idea? Yes, for guys with no knowledge about scripting.
Realistic? No..It would be cheaper to buy you a programming course so you do not need any of these features, instead of implementing it."

If you read the other topic I did express that also, In my opinion GameGuru should be focusing on to let us do more without coding.
Why? Because there are tons of general purpose game engines out there for free and ones developed by studios with huge team and budget.
GameGuru has no chance to compete and to be successful.

Making games without coding was the original idea behind GameGuru and the only field where there is no real competitor. I know, I know all about the Unity plugins and Unreal visual scripting system but as I also described in the other topic what I like about this "Logic Chain" system the most is that it feels natural. I want the console open the door, fine I go to the console in the editor choose "OnUse" and then I go to the door and choose "Open" and see an actual chain showing me the console is interacting with the door I just selected. No abstract thinking required, everything is right there in the editor in 3D. You just can't compare any flat visual scripting system to this. I find it really unique so it is also not about visual scripting in general, it is about "Logic Chain" specifically as implemented in Doom Snapmap Editor.

Also It is not about know how to code. I know how to code, I have experience with scripting in multiple engines but I am not the kind of person who prefer coding and loving it.
Snapmap with Logic Chain reminded me how cool is that and refreshing when you don't need to worry about variables, arrays, loops, statements, syntax and coding in general just go and do it without even thinking about coding and the only thing you need to focus on is the actual gameplay. You can just go and build staff.

But I also mentioned, it doesn't need to drop scripting. The Logic Chain can be still powered by Lua so people do want to code would be not let down and able to go and change any of the Logic Chain events and create their own using Lua.

Big task? Yes. Realistic? Why not?
GameGuru is for everyone not just coders in fact GameGuru is targeting no coders in the first place but at the moment GameGuru doesn't have much to offer to no coders. Also there is not many real competitors in this field and there is nothing like the "Logic Chain" anywhere. Yes Doom Snapmap got it but as of now, it is only a mod tool for Doom, you can't use it to make stand-alone games. Unless Bethesda decide to release ID Tech engine with Snapmap for making stand alone games, it would offer GameGuru a chance to be a really unique solution to no coders. If this is not realistic than what? Trying to compete with Unity and Unreal is realistic? I don't think so...
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry but this should be in scripts and not Product chat …
Everyone goes there and they are also the best to answer ..

Moved to Scripts
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 07:24:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 07:24:43