Website/Forum Feedback / [Request] Community driven wiki page

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2018 11:58 Edited at: 27th Dec 2018 12:04
I have noticed many people do share tutorials and create Guides on the forum and Steam.
The problem is that, most of these topics get pushed down by new topics and get lost with time or get out of date as after certain amount of time the topic can be no longer edited on the forum but also on Steam for example the Lua reference guide is already out of date but no one can update the page only the original author or an admin.

In my opinion it would be extremely useful if GameGuru would have a Wiki page that anyone can edit and use to share guides and tutorials and links to 3rd party sources instead of the forum and Steam.

The benefits:
-anyone can add new tutorials and guides
-tutorials and guides shared by the community be easy to find
-all the tutorials and guides be collected in one place
-anyone can collaborate and help keep the information up to date
-anyone can collaborate to help improve the pages, as some of us not native English speakers, mistakes do happen so people can help to fix them
-in case trolls find their ways to the wiki and make a mess, by definition a wiki page can be rolled back to any previous state by an admin following a report

Requirements:
-we should have categories so we can add new pages nicely organized in to categories, what categories? feel free to share ideas. We definitely need a category with sub categories for a Lua reference guide for example similar to Steam and also one for Tutorials and Guides at least to share anything in general. Feel free to add ideas.
-anyone must be able to register and edit any page and add new pages and links to other pages so under categories we can organize content however we want, may even add categories our self's so we need to bother admins less and we can truly organize content however we want.
-anyone must be able to upload images to the wiki
-anyone must be able to see edit history and see what has changed and by who and when
-we must be able to report a page to an admin in case a troll been around and messed up the wiki

Thanks.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 27th Dec 2018 14:18 Edited at: 27th Dec 2018 14:20
We already have a wiki on the github repository.

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/wiki

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2018 14:45 Edited at: 27th Dec 2018 14:47
I mean a wiki that doesn't need GitHub to see and edit.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2019 09:56
A simpler idea would be a tutoral sub section only moderators can post in but everyone can read. That way we can compile all tutorials without false information being spread.

-Wolf
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2019 20:47
We could do with a place where all these thing can be easily found

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 02:28 Edited at: 27th Jan 2019 02:35
I was putting a wiki together a VERY long time ago. However Fandom seems to have since removed the page due to inactivity from Wikia. I was trying to get us a wiki and discord back then. But little interest. Good to see the dicord revived and grew thereafter to a useful real time resource. Wiki is important especially for LUA and FPE usage. Sad to see the age go.

used to be located at gameguru.wikia.com

If anyone wants to contribute to a new, https://gameguru.fandom.com/ feel free its currently blank
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:49:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:49:29