Product Chat / Translucent glass

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
In my shack models I have been able to achieve translucent glass using a broken glass pane image in the texture file. My texture files are created using paint.net software which allows me to control the opacity of the image. I use a setting of 150 for translucent glass. I have used all of the transparent setting in my FPE file and found that transparency 2 works for me. This setting allows the animated grasses to be seen through all areas of the glass pane to be visible where as other settings only allow the moving grass to show through holes in the glass pane.

I must admit the modeling software I use may have feature commands that make glass objects a part of my final "X" file this may be different be from blender or others.
I am posting in program discussion section because of higher traffic and have noticed in the past other users are having glass problems also.

I have included a video of one of many of my shack models that contain translucent glass. If this is the wrong area to post or the start of a glass discussion is not needed any mod should feel free to remove

Windows 10 creator,64 bit| Intel i7-7700 @3.60GHZ Quad|CPU PASSMARK 10,794|Memory 16GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070|GPU PASSMARK 11,071
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2018 20:24
Any info is helpful on transparency ,thanks

Dave

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here a few screenshots showing window glass from the outside and the inside...

Windows 10 creator,64 bit| Intel i7-7700 @3.60GHZ Quad|CPU PASSMARK 10,794|Memory 16GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070|GPU PASSMARK 11,071

Attachments

Login to view attachments
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2018 21:06
Hi all
Yeah glass is a real problem. In my book it is just one giant bug.

I have the same issue with glass\grass, and I can use any setting in the FPE and it still blocks animated grass depending on how close you are to it.

Glass in Game Guru is broken - but the constant battle with it has been around since day one.

Glad you got it working though m2design.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
My long sought after solution to the glass problem may be dependent on the modeling software I use, but just in case other software has the same capability I will try to explain with out illustrations...
Step 1. Create and complete the model with out glass in the window openings
Step 2. When model is complete then place the glass (this will be a surface) into the model window openings
Note: the degree of glass translucent is set in the texture file for the model.
Step 3. Select each window surface (Shift click) and make these surfaces a group and then make note of the xyz coordinates of the glass group.
Step 4. Select the glass group and slide it out of the model far enough to allow you to select just the building with out the glass.
Step 5. Select just the building and merge the model objects into one object. For me this is a "merge command"
Step 6. After the "merge process" on the building" next slide window group back into their original xyz location
Step 7. Save the model as an "x" file... DONE
It appears (in my case) this incorporates the glass into the "x" file as a separate last object which it seems GG requires.
Note: the "FPE" file requires the inclusion of "transparency =2"

That's the way I do it... but none of this may apply to users of other modeling software.
In the long run (and I mean LONG) I agree that Lee should come up with a more universal solution for translucent glass. It should be a more inherent part of GG with out the user fussing around.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:56:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:56:53