3rd Party Models/Media Chat / [SOLVED] Help importing .x model in gameguru !

Author
User Offline
Hello,
I am trying to import this character model into Gameguru.
step 1: I used 3ds max and exported the model with Alin AXE .x exporter .
Step 2: Once converted as an .x file, I imported the model into Gameguru, however I see that the model is completely distorted and stretched and I want to know why ?, It is a multitextured model.
I followed every instruction I found on the internet and now I am running of options, I am on my way to quit with gameguru
it is a very simple model. I imported it in coppercube and blender and it plays flawlessly with animation.

Can anybody fix this for me please

Nigel

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2018 15:18
Make sure that no more then 3 bones are weighted to any vertices.

Also don't use physique as it has problems with x files now.

Use the skin modifier instead.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

NigelM
User Offline
Can you explain me how please, I am a newborn with gameguru. How do I turn the physics off, is it in the .fpe file or 3dsmax?.

In 3ds max I only used the turbo modifier to smooth the model but I notice that in gameguru the model is still not smooth. Whereas In coppercube and blender the model looks good, no stretch or whatsoever.
Is there a manual or something that gives us all the available commands for .fpe ?

If I imported the model in gameguru in .3ds instead of .x, would game guru import .3ds ?

p.s:can you view my model and see what is wrong with it please, i just uploaded it
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Moved to 3rd Party Models and Media
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
NigelM
User Offline
it doesnt help much , does it mean that you will look at my model?
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 01:27 Edited at: 27th Oct 2018 01:28
Try exporting it out of 3ds max as an fbx file with embedded textures.
use the 2013 version from the options, and the animation options,

See if that fixes it.

.3ds file is static only and will not export the animations.
each mesh separate mesh in your model must be under 20,000 polys. You can have 25 of them, but none of them can be over 20,000 poly.

63 bones is the max right now for game guru.

being a multi textured object may or may not work.

use of the character_basic shader requires that each mesh in the model be weighted to at least one bone or dummy object to be seen in the editor.

This is not copper cube and this is not blender, nor is it Unreal or any other program. It is game guru and your will need to conform to what is required or it will not work.

Take a look in the docs files for all sort of information.

Pictures of your model and rig would help.

Picture from the editor with your current results.

Unless your max file is from 2015, I will not be able to open it.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "it doesnt help much , does it mean that you will look at my model? "

Just moved it to the correct board ... Where have you uploaded it ?
PM
NigelM
User Offline
My 3ds max is 2017 will that be ok ? , I am currently trying your method, I will revert back to you
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 02:15
Try using the Save As Previous option in 3ds max and choose 2015 version if you have that option.

I will need that file and the textures zipped and put on google drive or dropbox. I will take a look at them this way.

NigelM
User Offline
Here is the file saved as 3ds max 2015, i am uploading it here ok

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 04:48
Thank you.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 05:14 Edited at: 27th Oct 2018 05:15
You completely missed what I said in this post.
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220180#msg2607388

There are 164 bones in this rig. This is way to many for one mesh. Refer to the above post.
The mesh is one mesh with 75,246 polygons in it. to many for game guru to handle. Refer to the above post.

Remedy:
Make a back up copy some where safe.
Remove turbo smooth modifier.
Select the mesh modifier in the stack.
Choose yes in the pop up window.
select all polygons.
Under smoothing groups press auto smooth.
Your mesh is now 12,541 polygons, well under the limit for Game Guru, and has smoothing groups that should work in Game Guru.
un select polygons and then
Click the skin modifier and then turn it off then back on.

You will need to reduce the bone count for the single object.
Make sure you are in frame zero.
Turn off the skin modifier.
mesh should go in to t pose position.
Separate the meshes into these groups:
Body, hair, cape into 3 sections
Apply the skin modifier and then select only the bones that will affect that mesh.
Repeat this for each new mesh section.

When you get everything finished, select everything including the bone objects, and then re export it out in x file format with animations.

I would try and use the bones system if you could from now on instead of making your own objects as bones. easier and constraints will work with them easier.

Please read the bottom of this post here:
https://www.game-guru.com/news-post/gameguru-fantasy-pack-updated
This is still a work in progress right now.

NigelM
User Offline
ok thanks I will try, it doesnt seem like an easy road to go through though - if I am thinking to convert all my characters to game guru (I have a hundred or so ), is it worth it ?,
if there was only a config file that we could modify in game this could be a nice feature. For now I will work with this character and see what happens.
PM
NigelM
User Offline
One more thing, the character is an original character from marvel heroes. I haven't messed with anything, only exported it to .x.
I am thinking : It will be very difficult for me to separate all the bones and delete some since the animations requires them all to function properly, I don't see how I am going to do this. To reduce the polys will not be a problem for me but to mess with the bones yes.
So if i separate the bone head, cape and body, I will have to set it to group 1, group2, group3 and then when i import the whole model that gameguru will count the bones differently is that it? (couldn't game guru learn how to do things differently ), If I import the grouped model in gameguru it will still have the same bone count though what's the point.
it is pointless to delete bones in my opinion, we as users shouldn't have to struggle in vain to do such simple things as importing a character (it is the core), it is taking me for ages .

I think I will have to wait for like in ten years time , game guru will be deprecated by then and other software will have appeared on the market with much more interesting features. Make our lives easier please .

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 12:43
You do not have to delete any bones, just don't have any group use more then 63 bone right now.
Characters are not an easy thing. converting somebody elses character is even harder.
My first character took 6 weeks to get into FPSC 8 years ago. It takes work and re trys, till you get it right.

Lee is working on making it easier to have more complicated models, with higher bone counts, but this will take time and rely on people trying out different models as he gets the system in place.

Even after you get this character into the engine, you will need to modify or even write your own LUA script to make it move in Game Guru, or any other Game engine.

Nothing about AI is a drop in, except the stock AI included with the engine.

Quote: "it is pointless to delete bones in my opinion, we as users shouldn't have to struggle in vain to do such simple things as importing a character (it is the core), it is taking me for ages "

It is not pointless, it is what it takes to make your game unique in the industry. Struggling in Vain, will only happen if you give up on it.
It is not impossible to get this character working, just going to take some work.

Quote: "I think I will have to wait for like in ten years time , game guru will be deprecated by then and other software will have appeared on the market with much more interesting features. Make our lives easier please "

This is the easiest engine to get things working. Taking work is what will make your game unique and worth playing. So keep trying at it at least for a week, and if still not satisfied, use one of the other engines, and post your results here when you get it complete.

NigelM
User Offline
I am not the kind of person to give up you know, I have been trying importing this model since I bought gameguru. I have tried using nearly every popular software combinations on the market like: 3ds max, blender, fragmotion, iclone,unity,udk,daz studio,noesis, coppercube,sweet home 3d, lumion,sketchup, milkshape and the list goes on . Only to find out that nearly every professional software has their own limitations to work with, their own formats which make it worst, non exportable assets (and we wonder why we bought it if there is no export options available, this is crazy)..etc ().

I think that directx is one of the most difficult format to work with (it is problematic and lacks of support and plugins), it should not be the case since it is one of the oldest. Thing is that it is very difficult to find a good plugin online and I am currently working in 3ds max 2017 (maybe I should look for an older version of 3ds max, any advice ?, I have been having a lot of issues with 3ds max 2017- lots of bugs, the render does not work for me in my version, I did a couple of reinstall and it is still the same, no luck).

i noticed that all the x. export/import plugins found on the internet have a catch, we almost need to buy them to get the full functionality (not even sure if it is worth it). One example is I downloaded a plugin and it is called Alin Axe .x exporter the free version (this is the only one that works in my version of 3ds max 2017 ). Exporting with Alin exporter (in 3ds max) to coppercube works well. Exporting the same .x model to blender gives weird results, this is not suppose to happen (the .x format is problematic here or maybe I need to check a few more options before exporting with 3dsmax Alin .x exporter, would be nice if you could check the Alin Axe exporter for me (the free version) and then try an export, maybe there are a few settings that needs to be tweaked i don't know)

About my experience with Alin Axe exporter: when I import the .x model back in fragmotion the model is imported successfully in a rest pose, however if I try to include animations then the weird things starts to show up exactly like in gameguru: model moves but is completely deformed/stretched, it is the same in milkshape as well. Since fragmotion is a well know software to work with gameguru, I was thinking that if I export an .x file to any 3d software with .x support, model should show up the same in all 3d software but it is not the case unfortunately.
In my experience I strongly think the .x format is problematic and unreliable.

About my experience with exporting my model with .fbx 2012 from 3dsmax 2017 to blender, model takes time to load in blender but appears correctly along with animations in the end (no issues there). However if I want to export the model from blender version 2.79 ( i.e with blender .x exporter) to game guru model shows up with animation but gives same weird results as with the .x format (i.e model is stretched/deformed when animation plays). Here I understand about the limitations you were talking about in gameguru, i.e 'criterias' for importing models into gameguru (bone counts..etc).

I think that it is these criterias that has to be fixed right 'now ' and I believe that Lee will do his best as usual () but how much time is it going to take to fix the gameguru importer criterias (or maybe he doesn't know how to do it and needs help), this is the core for everyone out there and everyone is dropping gameguru for the simplest thing in the world because they can't have their models imported with animations in gameguru, this is frustrating. Couldn't they include a feature in the gameguru importer where imported model bone counts and polygons are automatically processed to fit into game guru with the right settings like in blender. When importing/exporting in blender it gives us a few option to tweak for ex to adjust bones or anything else so that model appears as we want in blender.

I think in my opinion that the importer for gameguru should be the priority number 1, the rest can come after so we don't have to wait for weeks like you did : only to import one model? - You would already have started creating your game by then and imported perhaps a hundred of models .

I was talking about my experience between .x and .fbx (this is just me) because I think that this direct .x format should be absolutely dropped by now because it is kind of problematic/unrealiable in many cases. Why not provide only one stable version of .fbx format in gameguru, that is either .fbx 2011 (because it supports shapekeys) or fbx 2012. Sticking to only one stable version of .fbx is the key. In my experience I did not have much issues with .fbx, it is the most reliable in my opinion compared to directx (when exporting to any 3d software it works !).
In iclone 7 if we import a model with shapekeys it immediately gives us a popup and tells you which fbx version we need to import our models (i.e fbx 2011).

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 16:25
If your not willing to modify you models to make them work in which ever engine you use, then none of it is going to work for you.

I have zero issues with direct x and it has the capability to do a lot of things.

Including multi rigged objects exported as one and working. I have converted and reworked many models for this engine, and in 8 years, only had 1 I had to abandon, because it just would not work.

GG has fbx import and version 2013 has had the least issues for most that have tried. You can even import fbx animations and attach them to your character.

But you must divide this mesh up and you must reskin the separate parts to use only the bones that makes them work.

Here is another kicker for you. All your textures are labeled wrong for game guru and will not use the shader correctly.

Somewhere you are going to have to give a bit to get what you want working.

That is why the are instructions in the docs folder telling you what you need to do to get your model into game guru.

If you are not willing to modify it for this engine, then you will need to use one that works with no effort for you.

NigelM
User Offline
hi again,
it is not that I am not willing to modify my model as you said, the fact is that I do not know how to do it in 3ds max?.
I just got this software and the only thing i know is to export a model and smooth a mesh .
If you can explain to me the steps I am willing to learn
p.s: Listen There is one thing you need to understand :Every bones in the model is rigged and fully animated (), the ones that you think is not needed is used to attach objects ex: i have a throwable attach bone, if I attach a rock or any object to it then character will throw the objects. If I remove any bones then I will have to re rig the character because the animations might not work as intended. I think what increases the bones counts might be the joints and offsets bones...My character has a cape and long hairs as well, this also increases the bone counts. If I remove any of these bones what do u think is going to happen ?, the other bones are normal bones like in any iclone characters: hips, fingers...etc. You tell me what to do?, I uploaded my model so you didnt checked it?

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 16:52
Youve been told twice by myke that you dont need to to remove the bones, just divide the mesh into multiple objects within the one entity, that will sort the bone limitations out.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
NigelM
User Offline
i think in blender if you press p, then you can separate a mesh into several parts. is it the same in 3ds max?, to be honest I do not understand very well your concept when you tell me to separate the mesh, how is the bones counts going to be reduced in my model if I separate my model in groups. All the bones in the model are important for me
PM
NigelM
User Offline
how do you divide the mesh in 3ds max ?
PM
NigelM
User Offline
The thing is that everybody tells me to upload my model which I did as requested but nobody checked it or even sent me it back with the solution fix to my problem

I am not english and I am doing my best to understand you guys, I am in 3ds max 2017 now and I do not even know which toolbar to click on for mesh modifier. There is many options for modifiers and I am confused, As professionals maybe you could slow down a bit for me as I said I am new with 3ds max. cheers
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 17:47 Edited at: 27th Oct 2018 17:54
Quote: "it is not that I am not willing to modify my model as you said, the fact is that I do not know how to do it in 3ds max?."

OK, now we are getting somewhere. There is no shame in not knowing how to do something. This is why we learn if we are willing.

I must go to work right now. I will put something together to get you started. This is not a five minute job. This may take you a few days to get it into GG intact and functioning.

If we are going to take the time in splitting the mesh then we might as well do the whole thing proper, Including the textures.
Do you want this for PBR or for the DX9 way of diffuse, normal, spec, illum (DNSI) as it is referred to now here?
In a paint program that has .dds capability. GIMP, Photoshop, Paintnet, Paintshop Pro.

.DDS texture format is the fastest format for a game engine to digest and spit back out in the render pipeline.
Sizes are limited to multiples of 2. 512 x 512, 1024 x 512, 2048 x 2048, and so on up to 8K 8192 x 8192

Combine all the color textures into on sheet for remapping in 3ds max.

For DNSI format label your final texture sheets like this:
Yourtexture_D.dds Color texture
Yourtexture_N.dds Normal texture
Yourtexture_S.dds Specular texture
Yourtexture_i.dds Illumination texture
Yourtexture_cube.dds For cubemaps for reflection. Must be a real cube map

For PBR support label your final textures this way:
Yourtexture_color.dds dxt1 compression, can have an alpha channel for transparencies.
Yourtexture_normal.dds R8G8B8A8 export
Yourtexture_gloss.dds dxt1 compression Greyscale only.
Yourtexture_illumination.dds dxt1 compression White is what will illuminate, delete all else in texture.
Yourtexture_metalness.dds dxt1 compression Greyscale only.
Yourtexture_ao.dds dxt1 compression Greyscale only.
Yourtexture_height.dds dxt1 compression Greyscale only.
Yourtexture_cube.dds Must be a real cubemap to work

Once you have these maps made, then we can split the mesh in 3ds max and re uv map the islands to the new texture location.

Place the existing textures into the same spaces on each of the new maps you will be creating.
I will check back in at lunch time on your progress.

Here is some more relevant info for Game Guru models. This is how it works here.

Metalness - black is dialectric, White is metal

Gloss - Black is shiney, white is rough

Specular - Mostly grey scale except for metalic objects, then the reflectence color of the metal is used for the specular color (DNSI).

Roughness - Black is Rough, White is shiny - GG does not use this map.

Displacement - White is height, black is lows - experimental shader available, but not main stream yet.

Normal direction +X -Y +Z

Quote: "
--- #define RealisticVsCool (0.60) ---
Allows you to control some of the PBR light and light extractions from the environment , if you want it to look more like UE try to set it around 0.90 , if you want a Unity PBR look try to set it around 0.40. I made it like this , as i expect people will have different expectations for PBR.

--- #define AmountExtractLight (0.50) ---
This allow you to control the extraction of light , this is actually the sun from your skybox that you see on your car , so what you see is light extraction. to lower the intensity of the sun you can just lower this value.

Forgot to move those to settings.fx , so currently there are inside "apbr_core.fx"."

Axis directio in GG
Pos y - up
Neg Y - Down
Pos X - Right
Neg X - Left
Pos z - Forward
Neg Z - Back

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 17:52 Edited at: 27th Oct 2018 19:43
I dont kno in max, i never learned how to use it, but yes, in blender go into edit mode, select the part of the mesh you want to seperate and press P, then select an option (i forgot which off the top of my head and i cant get to a pc but ots self explanatory), then when you export make sure both meshes are selected in objecy mode (right click one then shift right click the other).

Basically the bone limit in gameguru is 63 bones per mesh, so if you have multiple meshes you can have more, theoretically if you have 10 meshes in one model you can have 630 bones spread among them as long as you dont have more than 63 in any one mesh.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 17:54 Edited at: 27th Oct 2018 17:55
nevermind, i'll make popcorn
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 17:56
63 bones right now for Public preview, and all released versions before that.
More are not even in the Private beta yet, as Lee is still working on that.

NigelM
User Offline
Thank you for replying
I am thinking maybe if you did a video tutorial with my model i sent to you on youtube I will digest it more easily and it will benefit also to other users as well. As we are all in a learning curve right
is it possible for you to do it?
PM
NigelM
User Offline
I am working working with my model in blender..

Could someone ask Lee when gameguru will have the possiblity to add more bones and how long is it going to take? ..If it is in a few days or weeks I might consider to wait a little
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
What version of GG are you using as well as that will make a big difference …
It will tell you under the Logo when you load it up ..
PM
NigelM
User Offline
The gameguru i am using is : build 2018.07.30 - monster update
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Should be ok with that …
Any earlier has the older importer and you wouldn't stand a chance .
PM
NigelM
User Offline
hmm ok, this is the most challenging game engine. i do not sleep at night with it
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 19:46
Sorry i meant 63 not 163, no idea why i typed 163 my bad.

Not sure when he will add increased bones into gg, but i do know for sure hes working on it while hes working on improving fbx import, so shouldnt be too long.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 19:54
As for doing a video tutorial with your model, then I should just do it my self for my self. I don't have that kind of time, and you will not learn how to do it.

I gave you the first step to do. Combine the textures and make them all one.

This will need to be done anyways, so get it out of the way.

Then we will go into separating the mesh.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 20:19
He are the directions in how to split the mesh up.
http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-19A71621-BA8A-4F99-BBB8-8F299A7BFE03

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2018 23:25 Edited at: 27th Oct 2018 23:27
This model appears to have had a physics simulation rigged to it. More rigged for movie purposes then gaming.
You will also need to re animate this afterwards.

What are your plans with this model. It is from a copyrighted movie. This will be a good learning experience for you, but you will only be able to enjoy it yourself. This will take a while, as I guess you have no rigging or animation skills yet.

This model appears to be from a site like this one.
https://p3dm.ru/files/characters/superheroes/2183-storm-classic-white-.html

Says for personal use only on it.

So you will have to decide if putting in 6 weeks of learning and trial and error, are worth your time just so you can look at it, let alone the other 99 you have.

You will need to learn about objects, sub objects, smoothing groups UV mapping, Rigging, Animating at the very least to get this into Game Guru.

Or maybe one of these other engines can get it into them. It will be a while before Game Guru will be able to handle this complex of a rig by just dropping it in the editor and it magically works. Gaming rigs are simplified more.

I would if this was my model to work with, completely re rig it in a way game guru can handle it. Cape and all.
I would use the biped system in 3ds max. It will allow for enough bones also to rig the cape and body.

I will keep the project file around for beta testing when Lee gets this part of the importer finished.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 05:39
Just read that GG will support 170 bones in an upcoming update. It's in the article that talks about the fantasy pack update: https://www.thegamecreators.com/post/gameguru-fantasy-pack-updated

Speaking of fantasies, however, that model would just be silly to put in a game!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
NigelM
User Offline
Hi sorry I went to sleep it was late I am from the UK by the way.
The model was made in unreal engine 3, this is what I heard of. I met a guy on the internet who gave it to me, he sent me a pack like 20gb or so.
I am using it to learn primarily and also I am a fan of the Marvel heroes and always wanted to create a fan game in my spare time with an rpg style. My plan is not to reproduce the game (as it is impossible to reproduce the same particle system like in unreal engine, I do have all the particles textures and the unreal scripts that goes with it but I do not know how to set it up). Since Gameguru particle system is not very advance yet, I thought maybe I could use the magic projectile system (modify the textures) in gameguru or make the character pick up weapons, I would have to import it to iclone and then add some more animations, I did try, it seems to work.
I do not think it is necessary to re animate the character because it already has all its original motion animations intact, so the big work has already been done, <I had to convert the character from .psk unreal engine format which was a nightmare in the beginning but I finally found how to do it >.
I have the popcorn fx editor, I haven't tested it yet but do you think if I use popcornfx on the character, will the particle fx be saved in the model fbx and what are my chances that it can work in gameguru even with the lowest resolution.

I am still reading your tutorials, I am thinking about how I can make it work on my side and doing trials and error, this is a challenge for me. It will not be the easiest, sometimes I have to search the internet for more informations. I will not close this thread until I succeeded how to do it , I might have to go though some tutorials on animation and rigging, I will try to find some tutorials on youtube as well to improve ,y skills.
I have other complex characters for example : winged characters, would you like if I send it to you for testing purposes as you said it will be useful for Lee.

I am going to help some friends this morning, they are moving houses . I will be back later.
cheers
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 16:15 Edited at: 28th Oct 2018 16:16
I just signed up for the popcorn fx editor beta v2 program. Not sure if it will save the particle with the model upon export. I will mess with it.

Game Guru can have simple particles attached to the bone limb of a character as demonstrated in the following video.

As for the current model seen, The are a lot of extra bones that are not needed after the simulation is complete. This has been a problem with models from programs like Maya, as the rigs are super complex for what we can handle right now. Once you try and remove a bone from the rig, it breaks the rig with the mesh and vertices start flying off in the wrong directions.
Hence the easiest thing to do is re rig it to the specs you need. Reskin it, and re animate it either by hand or with motion capture files. The cape simulation will be the hardest to animate, but has been done by Rolfy and shown in the forums.

For learning purposes, I would start with simpler models with simpler rigs, Learn the "what not to do or you will need to start over things", as this is a procedure to use, not to break things.

Pick a model program to use and stick with it, either blender or 3ds max or which ever one it is. This will allow you to develop a work flow that will be flawless for you, to get your models into the Game engine.

The general rule with x file is that if you can wright a keyframe for a specific animation frame on a controller object (bone or dummy objects) Then it will bake the animations into the mesh when exported. Which is basically the same as all the rest of the formats.

There is a learning curve for sure with this discipline of game making as there is with coding or making shaders.

Keep at it and one step at a time. The professionals only do one thing, and they do it well. We as indie developers have to do it all and takes a while to learn.

email him at lee@thegamecreators.com

Ask to send one of your models to him, so he can see if he can get this kind of support for complex characters into the engine for use.
You will have to give him an FBX file, as Lee only has free to use programs to test with. Sending him the max file will not work.

Do keep this thread open and report your progress and findings.
Good luck in your learning.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 17:05 Edited at: 28th Oct 2018 17:07
Careful with fan games … Even free your liable under copyright … For example you Could Make Star Trek mods for Star Trek games and distribute free ( Elite Force or Jedi Knight for Star wars Mods ) but a " standalone " version is a whole different ballgame. Especially if the engine is not even related ..
PM
NigelM
User Offline
Message received , I just sent Lee an email and I hope to hear from him soon. All I can do is wait for now

Cheers
PM
NigelM
User Offline
wow the video is amazing !
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2018 03:43
So a beta update came out with some shader work. Allowing up to 170 bones with 8 bones affecting each vertices.

I made a FBX export out of 3ds max from your file.
147 bones, 12000 polys, 1 texture sheet pbr materials.

Had to use the scale value of 200 in the FBX file, and also had to use the Character_basic shader to see it.

Using the new shader made the object invisible.

Starts off great, then something starts to go wrong with the weighting. But when it loops back to the first frames, it is ok again.
I will make some adjustments and try it again.

NigelM
User Offline
thats great !
I just change version of 3dsmax 2017 to 2016 only to be able to use the kw exporter, I imported the .x file to fragmotion. Animation plays too fast, Alin exporter seems more stable though. I am going to try something :export from 3ds max as fbx, then import the fbx to blender and from blender export to .x.
I will let u know what happened, keep it up on your side

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2018 14:24
Unless you are on the private beta, you will not have the updated shader.

If you are then.

Just use the fbx file from 3d max, make sure it is fbx 2013 version in export, embed textures.

Use that to import into the model importer in game guru.

It will take a while for the importer to show the model as there are a lot of frames. About 20 minutes.

devlin
Years of Service
Recently Online
I would like to take a look at the character but you will
need to send it in FBX format.
PM
NigelM
User Offline
Find it attached

Attachments

PM
NigelM
User Offline
I think I found the right setting for exporting with alin axe exporter from 3ds max !
I exported the .x model from 3ds max with alin axe exporter, then i imported the model back in fragmotion, the model animation plays very well in fragmotion no weird issues (before the model used to be completely distorted). If fragmotion can read the model without issues, i guess now it will work in gameguru...I will just upload my configuration settings for Alin Exporter for who is interested to try it out
Now I am importing my model to game guru, lets see what happens

Attachments

PM
NigelM
User Offline
I just loaded the model in game guru without the animations first. the model is not distorted as it used to
now i am going to switch animation on in the .fpe..

Attachments

PM
NigelM
User Offline
the static model without animation loads ok but the model loaded with animation is distorted , going to try other settings in .fpe
Is there other commands to control animations in .fpe?

Attachments

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2018-11-21 19:39:58
Your offset time is: 2018-11-21 19:39:58