Work In Progress / "Post apocalyptic Game" A never ending Odyssey - Next Try: Underground

Author
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2018 12:15 Edited at: 13th Dec 2018 08:04
PROJECT HAS BEEN REBOOTED FOR MORE FUN AND IMMERSIVE GAMEPLAY - CHECK OUT THE NEWER POSTS BELOW

The Project's name now is:

please note that some of the stuff I posted here is obsolete and the project has been rebooted. The old download is still available so I wont delete the old stuff yet.

HI !
It's me again. And I got another demo for you to try.
During the last month I've been building this underground level. I really got inspired by JPH-Games and his tunnel assets.
So yea... this is me trying to make a metro style game.

Honestly I dont even know what to say anymore - literally for years I am trying to make a game close to stalker or metro but I always get stopped due to motivation issues or performance problems.

All I can do is upload my stuff in order to save its existence.
And maybe you even enjoy and like my project - Just let me know.
I will not stop trying to make game and actually FINISH something again. It's been 2 years since Hunted already...

Thats all for now.

- Duchenkuke

oh and here is a video:
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2018 16:10
Dang man. This is awesome. Really great use of lighting and color. I can't wait to really dig into it tonight!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2018 17:43
The file seems to be set to private.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2018 18:54
I set it to public again, my bad.^^
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2018 20:29
Downloading intensifies.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2018 20:34
Quote: "Downloading intensifies"

thanks for trying
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Really great atmosphere. The use of shallow water in the first level is great. I got my ass kicked on the second level without making a save point so I will need to try again. The ai is actually pretty good(?!), which made them a challenge being so mismatched in terms of guns. I assume you are using defy's or corrossion's AI mods?)

I think the item interactivity and physics use and UI overlays related to those make the game a lot more immersive and "alive feeling." I would say that in your early tutorial like messages that tell players to use the left-mouse button to pick up objects, I think it would be a good idea to tell players you need to have your gun holstered (and the hotkey for doing this) to do so. It took me awhile to realize that. The deer on the second level is also a great touch - I especially like that its AI is set, as far as I can tell, to only run away. Its a pet peeve of mine when every bit of wildlife seems out for blood in games.

My only other nitpick at this point is one that I would suggest for virtually every game-guru game ever: Replace the player death scream! Preferably with something more realistic and/or subtle. There is nothing about this that "feels" like what people expect from game guru until that blood curdling (in a not-so-good way) scream fills your ears.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2018 05:52
Na man, it look great - keep at it!

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2018 16:40
Thanks guys for your feedback !

Tho I have to remind you that this is a VERY EARLY state of the game
Things WILL be changed. But it is really helpfull to have a playable version out there so people can recommend improvements and stuff.

Thanks for testing !
Peke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2018 23:27
I don't do spooky games well...

Though. I soldier through and got really immersed in the environment. Hampering the vision of the player worked marvelously to really have me check my corners. It didn't feel linear and was atmospheric.

The only two things I can really say, which is nitpicking; Some of the textured had weird speculars which made them really bright and shining in a rather dark environment, but that might just be GG being GG. Oh, and the game crashed like... 3 times.

Keep it up!
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2018 14:53
Quote: "Oh, and the game crashed like... 3 times."

oh... that actually is a big issue...

Thanks for testing !!
themegapolice 96
Years of Service
User Offline
more water waves, they look so static...
?
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2018 15:29 Edited at: 7th Dec 2018 15:30

sort of restarted the project - with better performance !
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice looking game so far. I gave the demo a quick try and it runs well on my system, I didn't notice any particular spikes in performance while exploring the tunnels. I noticed vsync was disabled though and things can look a little choppy on an old fashioned monitor like mine even though FPS is still high. Running at a smooth 60 fps would be better, but perhaps GG has issues keeping to 60 with vysync enabled?

I didn't manage to get out, my patience is low with dark maze like games generally. That is really just down to my lack of interest in dark horror shooter games rather than the game itself. However, I would say it needs a little more direction, I found one item I could pick up, walked about with it for a few minutes, then got sick of it and dropped it. I then promptly found the place I needed to drop it (I think) and could not find it again for all the tea in china. I ended up turning it off at that point. It also annoys me massively with games where you need to collect specific things to climb on, when there is a massive pile of boxes right next to the place which would be fine to use. You might want a message saying they are too rotten or such. Or better still, make em crumble when you try ;p

Now, onto the AI. Yeah, lets it down a lot. I realise GG is not great for this and it is more a GG issue than anything, but when those enemies attacked me it really showed GG's awful AI Most people until that point would probably have not realised it was a GG game (except the menu perhaps, or of course if you are a GG dev, you would likely recognise most the media). The AI though, made it clear it was a GG game. One got stuck on a corner and the other got close, but then started those awful GG melee anims I'm not keen on the models either in honesty, but mainly it's the animations and clunky AI that killed it. This clearly shows how AI can change a game from looking real nice, to awful, in a matter of seconds

One other thing, the text. Too small, I could hardly read it. I'd up it to a more useful size.

I think this is why most people stick to soldier type AI as even the old AI used to work to some degree. Going zombie melee combat is a risk I wouldn't take. GG's combat and general AI in this area is pretty terrible. Let's face it with this last update, Lee admitted that getting the melee combat up to scratch could take 6 months or more. Your game could look AAA quality as far as the scene went, but those AI would be a game breaker.

All in all, looks great, needs a little more direction in places and that AI needs to go, or be improved. I would definitely re-think my enemies here. I get it of course, it's one reason why I avoid having any real AI in my projects of late It's still GG's biggest let down, particularly melee stuff.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
JPH-GAMES
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 12:49
Very nice decor, I think the game will be great

Intel Pentium CPU G3220 3.000 GHz , 8 GB Ram , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 2GB 1920 x 1080 , Windows 10 64-bit.
GameGuru , S2Engine HD , Shoot EM Up , CopperCube 6 , Clicteam Fusion 2.5 , Platfinity .

bluemeenie195
Years of Service
User Offline
You really have a knack for the audio/ visuals. You above most show what you can do with GG.

I do have to agree with DVader that maybe a little bigger on the text if possible, and hopefully GameGuru can fix the zombie's AI and animations soon.

The game crashed on me twice too. Another thing GG has to tighten up.

But, I would buy it when it's done.

Awesome job man.

PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 20:00
Thank you guys very much for the usefull feedback!

It is much appreciated and I will do everything I can to make it more enjoyable

I plan to release another version this year so please stay tuned.

Thank you !
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2018 20:30
development is going in a slow but good way, I get some stuff done every day, and I will have a new playable version ready soon !
The game's name has slightly changed and it is sort of restarted too:

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2018 23:10
Why didn't you post the new content from YT?
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 08:00 Edited at: 13th Dec 2018 08:00
Quote: "Why didn't you post the new content from YT?"

Good point... why didnt I ?

Anyway, I'm gonna do it now lol

here, lads ! Some new gameplay material:

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2018 22:55 Edited at: 18th Dec 2018 23:00
I tried the demo thingie you sent me and must say that this is one of the very few GG projects I'd actually see having a future on steam.
Production quality in the demo is high and I quite enjoy your design choices (as I detailed in private chat).

However, there are a few additional flaws I'd like to point out.

There is a shelve with three cleanly positioned gas bottles and 3 cleanly positioned assault rifle magazines. Not only does it look a bit odd, I can not pick up what is clearly a magazine.
U gotta let me pick up the enemy guns if I see them on the floor
I seem to sprint in slow motion and sadly performance is not too good. I know the latter is a text book GG flaw but I have to point it out.

All in all shaping up fantastic. This is also the first game where EAI's guns don't look out of place I've seen. (You use my pack well too)

-Wolf
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2018 15:21
Thanks wolf ! Right now dont have the energy to continue but after the christmas and new year rush, I will get back to it.

Thanks for your feedback

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 10:16:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 10:16:29