Product Chat / Video plays with no sound

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 22:48
I don't want the player to have to sit on 2 minutes of loading screen immediately after the main menu, so I'm adding a very simple 'level 0' with nothing more than a player start marker sat on top of a storyzone and a winzone. The idea is I'd create a totally black map or room so the player doesn't realise they have just loaded into a tiny level per-say. However, while the storyzone will play the video and audio just fine when you walk into it from afar, it doesn't play audio when the player physically starts on the storyzone. Is this a bug? Has anyone else noticed this?

Sidenote: Which bright spark thought it would be a good idea to break up the video and audio for a storyzone into two different bits of media? I can't fathom a circumstance where you'd want the audio to not be that of the video file

AE
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 00:57 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 00:59
Quote: "Which bright spark thought it would be a good idea to break up the video and audio for a storyzone into two different bits of media? "

Microsoft ..

Quote: "Lee Bamber : The new DX11 engine does not support WMV as that would have dropped support for Windows 7 OS (thanks Microsoft). The new video player is a pure video playback system so only video at this stage. For audio, you can split out the soundtrack from the video and attach it to the sound field in the story zone properties as a WAV or OGG as it will play at the same time."
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 01:24
Hopefully the audio and video formats sync properly. I've not yet tested.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I think Lee will find a work around … Its just not top of the to do list at the moment.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2018 01:59 Edited at: 7th Oct 2018 02:17
While this is not a showstopper per se, it needs to be raised again.

Currently video playback with sound is not functional in any sane definition of the word "functional".

While I can get it to play full length when exporting to 25fps MP4 (any 29.x won't work), it will never sync with sound to an extent where I could have lipsync dialogues. Real Life cutscenes with talk are impossible right now.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2018 10:08
While I agree that it's totally unacceptable to have to split audio and video into two separate files and have them play concurrently, I've personally not had any issues with sync. My cutscenes are always 25fps MP4.

My solution to the above problem of sound not playing when spawning on a story zone has been solved by using the ForcePlayer function to thrust them into a storyzone a few units in front of them as soon as they spawn. Because this all happens in the milliseconds before the usual fade in is triggered, it happens in complete darkness, and then the video begins. It's effectively like having a quarter of a second of black before the cutscene plays, which I can live with.

AE
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2018 01:36
Hi Eagle, this depends sometimes on which drivers / audio components are used on the machine you play on.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2018 10:22
@Ertlov : Did you post this in the Issues Tracker. I imagine there is a way to pull the audio track from the MP4. I am using the 'theoraplayer' and the API code only handled video. If anyone has any links to how they handle the audio side, that would be a big help, thanks!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2018 00:22
Hi Lee,

I can add that to the issue tracker, I just want to run it through our internal QA first to check if the sync issue is caused by software on the dev machines taking exclusive control over audio playback.

As for the audio asset pipeline, it`s not rocket science to create the mp4 and the ogg for it, just two passes of rendering out.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2018 09:19
One thing I've noticed with the video player is diagonal tearing.

This is a 1920 x 1080 video playing on a 1920 x 1080 monitor so it shouldn't be a resizing issue. Happens regardless of whether V-sync is on or not.

AE
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2018 18:47
For me there is no sound at all either.

I split the video and the audio but its still silent. I have tried wav and ogg.. ANY Idea what I can do?
The storyzone starts right when the player enters the level.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Duchenkuke. You might try positioning your start marker out the zone then transporting the player instantly to the storyzone? Hopefully you wouldn't see the flip at the start and it may help trigger it. Or, change the code to just trigger when you are near an item rather than in a zone possibly? Some ideas to try.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2018 07:26
Sadly at the moment, you can't start the player on the story zone or else there won't be any audio (no idea why). Instead, place the story zone directly in front of the player start marker, then put a tiny/invisible dynamic object at the foot of the start marker and assign it the following script:

Play around with the angle and force coefficients to get the player pushed into the story zone in the first few frames of black when the level begins, before the fade in. Your video should now play with sound.

AE
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Avenging Eagle. It probably works but the transport method I mentioned is a far easier and more reliable way to do it. I just tried and it works fine. No messing with angle and force here just a simple transport as soon as you start the game. You do not see the initial position.

Just add this code to any item (make it dynamic), place it close to the player start marker (away from the storyzone), add an item in the storyzone. Grab it's name and then add that to the if used section in your first object (near the player).
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2018 10:21
Alternatively you can use global sound like this:
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 20:08:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 20:08:45