3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Model pack suggestions and Intro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone,

In a previous post i promised a proper introduction. Since i'm looking for some input i felt like this might be a good time to introduce myself as well. We'll start with business first.

I've been considering putting together a model pack. I've thought endlessly about what theme i should go for but honestly i can't nail down a particular theme. So i'm curious about what kind of theme for a model pack would be popular with the community. So i'd like to get some suggestions. I'm primarily an Environment/Prop artist so please don't say characters.

Now for the intro,

My name is James. I currently work in the oil/gas fields in Ohio. I Graduated college in 2010 with a B.S. in Game Art and Design(Which has proven useless in actually getting a job, in Ohio at least). I have a Wife, 6yo Daughter and a 2mo old son(hence why i haven't had much time for an intro before now.) I've been involved with game development since around 99/2000-ish. I started with Genesis 3D and moved to 3DGamestudio, i loved the community there, this one actually reminds me a lot of it. I've toyed with quite a few engines but have only really spent serious time learning 3DGS, Unreal and Gameguru. I've played a very small role in the development of two released Games, Byu Byu Rocket using 3DGS and Time Ramesside(dont judge me) using Unreal 4. I stepped away from game dev for a few years but have returned and started looking into new engines and tools, which is how i ended up here. My typical workflow consists of modelling in 3DS Max, ZBrush for normal(only sometimes), Photoshop for texturing, then to engine. Though i'm experimenting with Sketchup(Modeling)>MAX(sometimes for UVs)>ZBrush>Photoshop>Engine. I'm always looking for better/easier workflows so if any Modelers have any tips i'd love to hear them. Anyway, getting ready to go to work so cutting this short. Any questions just ask me. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

thanks,

James
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Aug 2018 12:13 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2018 12:18
Hi James, welcome to the community!

Quote: "I've been considering putting together a model pack. I've thought endlessly about what theme i should go for but honestly i can't nail down a particular theme."

This is something i am struggling with, i have plenty of ideas for individual models, but what i want to do is a themed pack, and i just can't get it done.

My biggest issue isn't really so much ideas, as the fact that i model quite slowly (far too much real life work so limited hours) and I've found that by the time i get a few models built, suddenly someone else releases a lot of models in the same theme to the store, or throws up similar models on the forums for free, and not wanting to tread on toes so to speak i stop and start something else, rinse repeat (it happened with both my low poly model packs and my fantasy buildings pack, literally hours after i mentioned both of them on here someone had started throwing out models in the same themes, not that they did anything wrong, just bad timing for me).

It can be frustrating, you wouldn't believe the amount of unfinished or unpublished models i have sitting on my storage drive that will probably never see the light of day because of this.
[img]belidos3d.swgrp.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/blogo.png[/img]
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi...
I feel the same way more often. but you can not do exactly the same thing. there are always differences. It is not easy to find a new topic. For example, I have already taken up the subject of scifi several times. I always drop it because I can not think of enough. This might be something to do something about. scifi is always in demand. In addition, the possibilities are almost unlimited and varied.

PM
SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2018 10:30
Hi Toxicclowd,

Here are a few suggestions for model packs -

Antartic scientist station with living quarters - could then be used for horror sci-fi games based on THE THING and many other B movie sci-fi movies of the 50's

Western pack with buildings external and interiors, saloon, bank, jail, barbers, stables & livery, blacksmiths etc. etc.

GIANT pack, where all the models for a house are huge which makes the player feel really small, like a story from the TWILIGHT ZONE....

Inside a huge military computer - Where the player plays as a virus killer and hunts down certain virus's that have contaminted systems...

Just a few ideas

Welcome to GAMEGURU

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:21:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:21:16