Product Chat / Please don't stop the music

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
No, it's not Rihanna.

I always saw that a Standalone built game, when you press ESC to enter Pause menu, stops all sounds, and doesn't just freeze them.
Loop sounds restart from the beginning when you Resume the game.
One-time sounds simply disappear with no chance to hear them.
It's a huge problem if you are playing an important audio, if the player has to pause the game, it may be compromised because of this.

I already reported this to be changed, to Github discussion.
But, if it will take too long for my project, I really need to work around this.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
create your own pause menu - really all you need to do is stop the player and AI moving (there are already commands for both) and show some sprites to hide the screen and create buttons etc (note: you'll want to teleport the player to a safe location too as you can't stop the AI from firing at you if they were already)

or make important sounds check if they have been paused (i.e. user pressed esc key) during their duration, this will need to be done via timers and preset lengths (there's no command to tell if a sound is still playing afaik).
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2018 21:49 Edited at: 11th Aug 2018 21:52
smallg wrote: "there's no command to tell if a sound is still playing"

I'm not sure if this can be used? Also, it is when using global sounds. There are two commands:

My brain doesn't work too well anymore so I'm not sure if I completely understand the question, to begin with.
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory
Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Making a different pause menu could be an option, but I still hope it will be fixed quickly in next GG version.
For my commitments and the fact that I'm working alone, I have to focus on story writing and level design.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 16:20:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 16:20:13