Product Chat / New Update - performance problems and other issues

Author
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 14:27
I have only very limited time, like most of you too I guess, and I am really disapointed and angry about the new update.
I was working on an important project and have to WAIT once again now. Best solution would maybe just to quit for good.
Please tell me if you experience similar issues with the current build:

specular lights are looking terrible and flat.

- My level went from 60 to 30 frames - I dont know how thats possible.
- Please dont tell me to remove shadows or something like that - they are off.
- Movement speed is now somehow tied to the framerate..

What are your thoughts about the update? Does anybody have similar issues?

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 15:25
Water switched on seems to slow FPS down quite a lot in this version.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 15:35
water is off on my map too. I literally did everything possible to save the framerate. And it worked well in the previous Public Preview for example.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 15:49 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 15:52
Quote: "Same here, I asked the question about if we had lost some performance with the monster update but never got a reply "

These things have been reported via gitbub but not by yourselves … By all means talk about it but Chances are you wont get an official reply here … That's why we closed bug reports ..
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues

Lets not turn this into a bugs thread as it just wont get the issues solved ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 16:24 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 16:40
Quote: "If there is a thread called Monster Update on the forum and a question is asked about it should we not get a reply ? "

No harm in replying to that but nobody did .. Im assuming no one else noticed at the time … But they did about black guns It had actually been noted and reported on the Beta forum though.
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 16:40
Any scripts bogging the FPS down. Pickup script seems to make mine chug a bit sometimes if I have a lot of objects I can carry.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 17:08
Quote: "What are your thoughts about the update? Does anybody have similar issues?"

That was the thread is about, I just wanted to know if the problem is on my end or not.

Quote: "These things have been reported via gitbub but not by yourselves "

Thanks for pointing that out...
MStockton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 17:31
No problems here. In fact, I've been happier than ever with GG since the update. It must be something specific that you and I are doing/using differently. As usual, I have no idea what it could be!
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 18:06
Quote: "specular lights are looking terrible and flat.
My level went from 60 to 30 frames - I dont know how thats possible.
Movement speed is now somehow tied to the framerate..
"

Can't comment on the lights as I use a custom shader and they are great with that
I think there is something sucking fps away but I've not had that dramatic a drop, maybe 10-20%
Definitely an impact with movement, especially noticeable with third person - like walking/running through treacle when fps dips below 50. I suspect it is the engine tweak below - when I revert it I think the issue has gone (still testing, but seems to fix it). I don't pretend to understand the bullet engine but think some other changes may be needed here as suggested by 'Stab' - though for now reverting the change made seems ok.

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/272

LucaRules
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 18:24
Also me I have lost performance with this update about 30% despite having turned off water and shadows.
Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-6700K, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980TI Zotac AMP Extreme, 16 GB RAM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 18:41
"- Movement speed is now somehow tied to the framerate.."

Yes... I have the same "effect" and well... it's annoying.
If I load an old map... most of them are unplayable now, 50% less fps.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 18:48
Thanks for confirming
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 19:08 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 19:09
Quote: "Yes... I have the same "effect" and well... it's annoying.
If I load an old map... most of them are unplayable now, 50% less fps."

The old legacy maps haven't been optimised although I have no idea what the optimisation process would be ?
I haven't noticed any slowdown but on the other hand no dramatic increase either.
To be fair though im using a GTX960 ..GameGuru V1 was in the 80 fps back then for me
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 19:31 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 19:32
I'm not talking about the GG "old legacy maps", I'm talking about my "old" maps... which are 6-12 months old.
I've a GTX970 and on some maps I've now 15fps, before 40.
And the player movement is sooooo slow now and sometimes soooo fast.... always depends how many fps you have.
Sometimes he walks like a turtle.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've a GTX970 and on some maps I've now 15fps, before 40."

Wow I haven't experienced anything like that ..
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is one for you … I will report with a confirmation
Place a static light and it just works like dynamic ?
And light mapping isn't doing anything .. No shadows .. Unless its just me im sure it wasn't doing it yesterday ?
PM
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, I noticed a drop in fps also. My character moves slow then at times he gradually picks up speed. New Public preview btw. Amd 8 core 8350 cpu, rx 480 4 gig vid card, 8 gigz ram running windows 10.
Jim C
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 20:27 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 20:28
syncromesh wrote: "Wow I haven't experienced anything like that .."

Neither have I but I do have a more powerful gaming machine now.

Quote: "Place a static light and it just works like dynamic ?
And light mapping isn't doing anything .. No shadows .. Unless its just me im sure it wasn't doing it yesterday ?"

I will check it out, but I'm not sure how to tell if it is working as a dynamic light?
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 20:44 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 20:45
Quote: "I will check it out, but I'm not sure how to tell if it is working as a dynamic light?"

Basically if its static it wont show until you lightmap … at the moment they show and work like dynamic
and lightmapping doesn't actually seem to do anything for lights
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok weird … suddenly its stopped doing it ?
PM
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 22:32 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 22:50
@ Synchromesh or Pirate Myke, How can you show images on the post apart from having an attachment? I do have a server I can upload images; but when I use the "Image" button and supply the link, it doesn't show up.

OK, I spent a couple hours testing and creating images and a couple of videos. I haven't tried any lightmapping yet, however, the static lights do show up but are not as bright. Here are the videos. You can see the intensity difference in the video thumbnails. Another point is that the Light1.lua script does not have any code. So, I must assume it is now completely hard-code. That's only an assumption. However, you can create code for a switch to turn a light off and on by using the HideLight(e) and ShowLight(e) commands with the correct light index number. There is apparently a variable along with that -- g_lightswitch[e] = "on" or "off". A strange thing I noticed in a new script that came up after the update -- called lightswitch.lua -- is that when you test for this variable you use "if g_lightswitch[e] == "offing" or "oning". This code is confusing me as sometimes they had assigned g_lightswitchp[e] = "on" or "off"and another time, they assign g_lightswitch[e] = "oning" or "offing"? Any ideas, anybody. @smallg, you're invited to chime in on this. :LOL:

So you don't have to search for the script, the following is the code. It's not very long and straight forward.

Static Light.

Dynamic Light

Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Home
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
See your getting it …
Static lights should not work … only when lightmapped and wont work off a switch ..
Mine seemed to rectify itself but no idea whats happening ..
PM
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 23:11
Yes, I did lightmapping F1-F4. None of them were actually any different because of the simple map. However, they are working as you have discovered. On my end, they worked right away. That leads me to believe that something got messed up with GG engine/editor and it required a shut down of the app -- at least. I'm not sure if that is what you had done, or it might have even needed a computer shutdown. You had to do either one I should think as I had not been able to duplicate it. You've been around long enough to know it was the nature of the beast in FPSC and it seems to be the same nature of this beast.
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Home
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 23:20 Edited at: 29th Jul 2018 23:23
Quote: "Another point is that the Light1.lua script does not have any code. So, I must assume it is now completely hard-code."

Nothing "hardcoded" here. A light is per default on, so the code is like a default script for any other entity.

Quote: "This code is confusing me as sometimes they had assigned g_lightswitchp[e] = "on" or "off"and another time, they assign g_lightswitch[e] = "oning" or "offing"?"

Oning and offing are the status if the player still presses the E key. But this script is so strange at all. A light source is most of the time not the switch, so they named it incorrectly in my opinion.
If you need a light switch script, here it is: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/pull/318
It is a lua port of the old light2.fpi from fpsc and works with the standard script switchmain.lua
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2018 23:42
Setup.ini (showstaticlightinrealtime) enable static light to always light unless in pre-bake mode, see the static light while editing
Range and intensity is decreased by 30% to try to match light mapper

Above from the update - so this seems to be working as intended - that you can see static lights in real-time if you want to (with a control in setup.ini) ? Whether static lights should work off a switch before baking is arguable perhaps? Light-mapper works OK for me - though the static lights are even dimmer than portrayed in real-time after baking.

Cheers.
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 00:49
Corno_1 and cybernescence thanks for the additional information. It's all clear to me now.
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Home
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
About FPS , i think the problem is that all dynamic lights is hitting the terrain , even those placed indoor ( witch is not needed ) the next light update will have a option that allow you to disable light on the terrain so it only hits objects , this will allow you to optimize your levels yourself.

But until then i added a option to enable the old "fading" light system to the terrain only. In setup.ini set this:
terrainoldlight=1

Or instead of this you can set the max light the terrain can have at any time so try to reduce this to 8:
terrainoldlight=0
maxterrainlights=8

The lower you set "maxterrainlights" the higher your FPS will be

If you lower the "maxterrainlights" you might start to see dynamic light popping in on the terrain , here you can adjust how far the fade distance for the dynamic light is. So you can also lower the "terrainlightfadedistance" until you dont get popping, with maxterrainlights=8 try to set:
terrainlightfadedistance=2000

This should work in most cases.

Another way to improve the FPS is to adjust:
maxpixelmeshlights=4
Yes try to set it to 4 (12 default), this defines how many per pixel lights a single mesh can have , the lower the more speed you get, but it dont limit how many lights the mesh can have , it only defines how many per pixel PBR lights (slow) it can have , when this number is reached it will switch the remaining of the lights hitting this object to the very very fast vertex light system.

If you want PBR reflections on the terrain then in setup.ini use:
terrainusevertexlights=0

The new dynamic light system is very flexible and allow you to adjust most part of it , but it is missing the options to allow you to optimize the lights directly in the editor , these are planned for the next update.

cybernescence:
Quote: "when I revert it I think the issue has gone"

I dont think the physics code has been updated, the code you display in the post ? , could you link me to the commit so i can see what changed and what you reverted to , i was not able to locate any changes.

Duchenkuke:
Let me know if any of this fix your issue

Taking some vacation but will have a look at all this when i get back
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 09:58 Edited at: 30th Jul 2018 10:06
Preben I couldn’t see the commit either but if you look at the code Lee posted in the reply to Stabs query you’ll see it has changed in the git repository (a static factor is passed into update). I changed the code to be the same as Lee posted in the reply and appears to be back to normal now re performance. As I say not convinced this is the correct change overall.

Get back on holiday .

Cheers.

Edit: your suggestions re the light settings helped me - I forgot I had already applied them from the beta forum post - before these I was losing up to 50% after 10-20%. Overall I’m still getting 50+ FPS on a packed level and that is after upping the shadow refresh rate to stop flickering. Really happy thanks for your work.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks cybernescence , found the commit:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/commit/2af1a320e8490e8ceaba9fb84509e131291e26d2#diff-8a1cf07c98093ece44eef0d180af3220

And made a fix for Lee to approve

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/pull/331

Duchenkuke: This will fix the player movement and other physics problems, when you run above or below 60 fps.

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 13:55
What about the black textured weapons from BSP?
How is the chance of a fix....?
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 14:08
I will upload a new PP build soon with the FPS fix. @MooKai can you recommend a BSP weapon from the Asset Store I should buy and use to reproduce the black weapon issue, thanks!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 14:28
@Lee the black weapons happen when the mesh texture name referenced from the model is the same as that in the gunspec e.g. gun_d in both. I noticed this in my custom weapons and In BSPs. If I remove the material reference In the model the texture is found properly. Haven’t had time to check git for the code.

Cheers.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 14:57
The ak 47 or the M16 , haven’t tried all from the pack. But these 2 have that bug...
@cyber... hmmm maybe I can fix it by own? I’ve to change something in the gunspecs?
PM
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee: Fixed the black weapon issue and its ready to merge

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/pull/333

Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 20:22
Quote: "By all means talk about it but Chances are you wont get an official reply here"

Great to prove you wrong synchromesh
software_bundle
Years of Service
User Offline
Get aso a drop from 59 to 15 fps after the update...
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 22:17 Edited at: 30th Jul 2018 22:33
Quote: "Great to prove you wrong synchromesh "

Yep you did.
All I was trying to do was get users to actually post the errors on GitHub rather than just make posts about it.
But if you feel you got a better result your way then who am I to preach
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 22:58
@preben
"Lee: Fixed the black weapon issue and its ready to merge"
well, the weapons are not black anymore... I would say... colorful now, also the hands

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2018 06:17
Did you see how many issues I posted in the github in the past? I bet its about 30.
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2018 07:06
@Preben

Do you know when placed lights will be added back to affecting player weapons? Currently it seems only ambient, surface, muzzflash and sun factor(??) are affecting PBR player weap(HUD). models.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Errant AI: Lee fixed it so the next update
* Uses proper world matrix position so weapons can pick up dynamic light influences

MooKai: What version are you testing in ?
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
MooKai:
Downloaded the AK47 , and it will pickup the wrong texture , in HUD.x the texture is named ak47.tga this will be converted to ak47_d.dds and that texture is loaded.

You can just rename the texture reference in hud.x to something that cant be found and it will work.

Currently in the code textures from objects has priority, and Lee is working on all this, so i cant make any changes to that at the moment, but you should post it on github so it can be fixed

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2018 11:49 Edited at: 31st Jul 2018 11:50
Thanks for the tip, I’ll try it tonight.... so just rename it to bla.tga and then it search by own for the correct texture... ok
I’m using the latest version update from yesterday 30.07.

GitHub, I never used it. We can not report bugs here anymore?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2018 12:48 Edited at: 31st Jul 2018 12:52
Quote: "GitHub, I never used it. We can not report bugs here anymore?"

They would normally be posted in Bug reports but you will find a banner there now saying

Quote: "Please note GameGuru bugs are no longer managed using this board it is here for archive purposes only. Please post any bug reports in the GitHub issue tracker"

Here is the link for that ..
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues

Once a bug you reported is opened you are personally emailed … Once its fixed you are personally emailed.
Like I said above you can talk about them all you like … but please remember to actually report them ..
In fact if anyone finds the solution again please add it to that particular GitHub report ..
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 13:25
@Preben

the following lines:

terrainusevertexlights=0
terrainoldlight=1

are nowhere to be seen in my setup.ini ... I just added them now in hope that it works
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
you need to be using the public preview, they are there
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "you need to be using the public preview, they are there "

Confirmed and they are ..
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 20:13
This is quite fast updating, thanks
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 20:15 Edited at: 1st Aug 2018 20:57
@Duchenkuke

Some files have has been updated today with a 4.1MB update... I can find them ok under [LIGHTING] in setup
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2018 06:15
alright thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 18:25:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 18:25:52