Product Chat / Resurrecting an old Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all. I've recently spent a few hours getting an old project (broken by several updates) back up and running in GG. I have it operating now with just a few issues I need to figure out to get it back as was.

I have Rolfy's waves pack which now is incompatible with DX11. If you have them and try them out now you will find you get a DX11 shader error on loading and the editor will crash as soon as you get close to them. Now I have got them to load by replacing the shader with an equivalent DX11 one, but, the transparency seems off still, being way too dark and obvious there's a plane above the water.

If you have the waves pack and want them semi-working then replace the shader in the fpe file to the newer DX11 one - effect_scroll.fx. That stops GG crashing and animates the waves again.

I had a similar issues with a water effect I have for winding streams. I had to remove that completely to get it to work. I couldn't remove in GG as it crashed, so I ended up moving the shader file it needed to another directory and then I could load edit and play the level okay.

I also had an issue with a lift sequence that stopped working after a lua update awhile back. Got that back up and running, not 100% but working good enough for now.

So now I have my old New Beginning levels back up and running. I spent months optimising for speed at the time. I'm pretty happy with how it runs now Even after all my optimising at the time, areas struggled a little, now everything seems silky smooth. I have a faster PC now of course, but I'm pretty sure GG's updates are the main reason for the smoothness now.

I spent the time fixing it up just because I wanted to see how it performed now. Definitely more scope for continuing than before

I might just be able to continue with it The DX11 update although breaking it at first has definitely given me some hope I might be able to carry on with it. A big thumbs up to the update so far!
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2018 22:51
Quote: "
If you have the waves pack and want them semi-working then replace the shader in the fpe file to the newer DX11 one - effect_scroll.fx. That stops GG crashing and animates the waves again."

This is quite good to know!

And yes, best luck with your old project!
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Great news DVader

Cant wait to see some videos/screens of your level.
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Wolf. Yeah I figure a lot of people got the wave pack so nice to get it working in DX11. Pity about the transparency issue, but at least the waves animted with the updated shader. I though it would be useful info.

@ Preben. Still a way off that still. Just trying to get it back as it was a year and a half ago I have 2 videos of that version already, so not much point doing another of the same stuff. Once I have it added to it I may do something of course
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 19:51
Wonderful to hear your working on your project again DVader

I recently just started fixing up some bugs with an old project, and now its back up and running great in DX11. Obvious kinks here and there but overall I'm glad to see the performance up by 400%.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Great news , I remember you having large maps running and the deep lift set the mood, glad to hear it's operational. All the best with New Beginnings
Define R4, i5, 16g, R9 290
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys. Not done anything beyond repair work as yet, but will see what I can do with it once the next update is out

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:36:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:36:01