Product Chat / [SOLVED] Testing more than 3 dynamic lights

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2018 22:15 Edited at: 13th Jul 2018 22:26
I did a raw test and used 6 of the seven available lights. I thought I used them all but I missed green. This is still three more than the three max before. Again, great job Preben. The video is turning off and then on the lights.

You can have up to 38 dynamic lights by default. I'm hard-pressed to see using much more. The default is dynamic (not static) when first placed on the map. I am not sure what "terrainlights" lights are but the max is 20. I have not tested the default "terrainlightfadedistance" of 4500 as yet. I'm not sure one can script it but you can change it in the setup.ini file.
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Hi Flatlander,
Quote: "You can have up to 38 dynamic lights by default."

That is per mesh , so if you add a house , that house can have a max of 38 lights , but if you add another house to your level this house can now also have 38 lights , so there is not a limit to how many lights you can have on a level , only how many lights a single object can have at the same time.

maxterrainlights=20 , is how many lights there can be lit at any time on the terrain , if you have more then 20 on the terrain then the terrain lights will fade away at this distance "terrainlightfadedistance=4500" ( same as the shadows ).

The terrain was made this way , as the terrain can really be a FPS killer , so doing it this way you can control how many lights you want to be lit at the same time on the terrain , allow you to control Speed vs. Visuals.

This is not the case with entities , they will only do light calculation based on what lights is hitting them, so they can have any amount of lights lit at the same time
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 17:48 Edited at: 15th Jul 2018 03:07
Thanks, Preben for sorting out my misunderstandings about all this. Had no idea what you had meant about meshes but its a lot more clear me now. All I can say is wow! You definitely have demonstrated your excellence in using C++ within the DX11 environment. You done did a swish. Yes!

Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:31:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:31:11