Product Chat / Shadows too light

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2018 20:51
I think the shadows are too light/semi-transparent in the current version of Game Guru. When ambience is set to 0 then, logically, shadows should be pure black because there is no ambient light bouncing around. Then, when ambience is set to 100, it's all ambient light and shadows wouldn't be present except in high occluded areas.

How can I make my shadows darker? I'm assuming a simply value change in either cascadeshadows.fx or apbr_core.fx will do the trick - but what line should I be tinkering with?

AE

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think you will ever see pitch black shadows will you ?
Not unless its artificial light like a streetlight at night.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2018 23:23
I'm really just after a way to make shadows as dark as the in-shade side of an entity, they are currently a lot lighter. I'd never actually make a level with 0 ambience, unless it was maybe a horror game that needed to be pitch black in places. But in general, the shadow 'brightness' should match the ambience value. Take a look at the attached pic, it's from F.E.A.R. (a pretty old game now!). See how the unlit side of the boxes and shelves more or less matches the darkness of the shadows on the floor? You can't get really dark shadows like this in Game Guru since the DX11 update it seems

AE

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2018 07:06
I was playing FEAR 3 recently and got a stage that looked like that... and must say its inspiring.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2018 12:49
Quote: "a pretty old game now!"

Oh shush!

Also the jupiter EX engine has some amazing lighting features. However, lame suggestion: have you increased the contrast and been playing around with the RGB values for both ambience and surface level? I'm pretty happy with the shadows in my GG projects but I have not yet transitioned to the X11 version.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:31:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:31:22