3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Mad Lobster Workshop 2018 : The Mad Scientist's Laboratory & Beyond

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2018 00:03 Edited at: 20th May 2018 00:06
It's been awhile since I've posted too much about my models but time to change that - this is a thread I plan to use to keep up to date on my 2018 work.

I recently uploaded a UNITY version of my "Mad Scientist's Laboratory and Lair" package to the Game Creator store, with over 330 prefabs. Here's a trailer for that:

You'll see a bunch of items in that trailer (everything in that trailer is in the package) that aren't in the Game-Guru version of the package yet, but my plan is to change that over the next few weeks, and bring as much of the UNITY stuff over to the GameGuru version as possible. There are some differences in how the engines like to handle materials, so it probably won't be an exact 1 to 1 match.

Today I ported over a few of the more relatively minor items - Stained Glass lamps!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2018 00:46
Looks very good!
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2018 09:59
this is amazing stuff.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 20th May 2018 10:57
I've had early access to some of these PBR assets and they are truly as good as they seem in that fantastic video.

My mad scientist layer lair is coming on amazingly thanks to lorddweeb.

Great stuff

Cheers.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2018 12:23
I have the full pack and it's a really cool one too, and it keeps growing as well, full marks to Mad Lobster Workshop for top rate work here.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everybody. Also, now that the Mad Science pack work is mainly about converting items to make the packs consistent, my plan is also to start doing more items outside of the retro science theme. But I imagine there will be more of that too, since I tend to find vintage technology and machinery interesting.
PM
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
A bunch of new items have made the transition from the Unity version to the Game-Guru pack. Mostly some eccentric furniture, but also a folklore style, snake-like Dragon statue. Images attached.

Attachments

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2018 09:20
Very nice lorddweeb,the models look great

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2018 19:53
Incredible content. The detail on these is astonishing
I'm always stoked to see renders as well its hard to really make out the hard work that went into them when they are just...on this gras terrain with GG's stock lighting being underwhelming.

-Wolf
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2018 12:33
Yes these models are fantastic, and I agree with you Wolf about the standard grass textire, maybe the whole terrain side of GG needs a look at
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys. I do try to upload many of the models to sketch fab (linked on my store artist page), as that is a nice way to view them more or less in all their glory.

Don't have any screen grabs to post at the moment, but the process of porting over all the architectural elements to game guru is getting pretty far along. It is the area where the GG and Unity assets were least compatible in their original design, so I was a bit worried how much of a process it might be - but I'm mostly happy with the results so far, and giving me ideas for interesting showcase possibilities.

PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2018 10:11
I look forward to seeing the new models, your talent is amazing. So much detail.
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
I've uploaded the architectural elements to the Game Guru Mad Scientist's pack. There are now only a couple of items that differentiate the Unity and Game Guru versions, and I imagine I'll port those over eventually too. But for the first time in this packages long history (especially considering I didn't have any plans for making a big environment when I made the first "control panel" item of this package), it is considered essentially "complete."

The pics attached of the environmental pieces are rather basic at the moment, especially in terms of the default lighting, but I'd like to swap them out with more compelling stuff when I get a chance.

Attachments

PM
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been continuing to plug away on new models, but have been pretty quiet this month on releases. But a couple of new items have made their way to the store, still largely in the mad scientist / vintage / steampunk theme, though not all of the items are part of that pack. I've attached some screenshots here of new models in the store.

I'm also excited about GGs new multi-texture abilities, I need to do some testing first, but it may make it easier to bring over some of the unity prefabs to make putting together castle interiors in the GG mad science pack easier. (Such items would be added to the existing architecture release)

Attachments

PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2018 07:47
Wow I’ve got to get those wheels they make the ones I’ve got currently on the flyable airships look really bad. Like the binnacle part too - I’m working on how the player navigates across the open world so that should fit great too. Are the wheels animated and if not do you mind if I have a go at doing so for my game?

Cheers
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Cybernescence! An animated wheel variation is included but it is a very simple constant rotation animation, so I imagine you'd need something more dynamic. Obviously I'm happy for you to mod the items however you'd like!
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2018 15:08
Great models lorddweeb

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 08:25
Thanks lorddweeb for the help with the models. Purchased the wheels and had them shipped to the eastern dirigible yards ready for retro fit to ellenora class airships (sorry ‘method acting’ game development )

Cheers.
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Ha, thanks Cybernescence. Since the model was leaning that way already, I decided to add a couple of more explicitly 'nautical' variations to the model. (They'll be included in the same purchase/model on the store) Unfortunately I'm out of town until about this time next week so I won't be able to properly texture them till then but a couple previews of one variation are attached.

Attachments

PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2018 15:41 Edited at: 8th Aug 2018 15:42
Those variations look great too - hope you finish them .

For your store collection you might want to consider setting collisionmode to 0 instead of 1, then there is no physics slowdown when approaching the wheels and I don't think poly collision is needed for these lovely assets?

A pic of the wheel and binnacle in service on an airship ( I added an illum map to make the pinnacle port glow a little so it is a reference point for the player when it gets dark, you might spot one of your lights peeking through too )

Cheers

Attachments

lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Cybernescence, the pic looks great and I'm always interested in seeing updates to your project. I nearly added an I channel to that model myself, funnily enough. Some of the alternative versions I plan to have illuminated or more visible "stuff" within that port. I'm finally back from my work trip, so modeling can and will continue.
PM
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
It (so far) does not include everything I wanted but I have updated the "control wheel" item on the store with new "nautical" varieties. Also attached is a a couple of pics of one of the new models in the works.

Attachments

PM
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Some screens attached of upcoming models, specifically, vintage clocks. One wall mounted, the second being a mantle design featuring a early paddle steamship motif. Finally, because I realized upon completing it that it would be easy to do, a third variation includes the mantle design with the ship depicted as sinking.

Attachments

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 13:19
Great looking models (as usual),always look forward to your model updates

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2018 17:31
Most impressive work!
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Guys,

After many attempts, thanks to a different thread on this forum, I was finally able to successfully import multi-texture models, and so there are several "prefab" style models that I should now be over to port over to the architecture portion of the mad scientist pack, making building hallways a much less tedious procedure.

Attachments

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2018 13:10
May I ask how you got the shader to work with these? As mine always only load the diffuse if they have multiple textures.
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Wolf,

I use blender, so your results may differ if you are using a different modeler (I think I recall reading that you use milkshape?) But anyway, here is all the important information I was eventually able to figure out:

* As mentioned in the other thread on this topic, its important to have each part of the model that has a different texture as a separate mesh inside blender. Then you select all the different meshes and export them together with "selected objects only" checked on the export option.

* From the other thread it wasn't clear to me where you need to have the model reference the textures, as in blender there are actually several different places this can be done. I ended up linking the texture used in the UV editor and also by naming each material the exact filename (for example wall01_color.png/dds) in the material editor. But as far as I can tell the UV editor data is what actually gets exported from blender.

* If I'm reading the other thread right it is possible somehow to get this working with .x but I had no luck with this and this part was the biggest roadblock for me. I tried exporting with the "include materials" option selected and not selected, and many other variations. I was literally halfway through typing a message in the other thread to "Agent Arts" asking him how he did this when I got it working in FBX and decided to just stay with that.

* GGs scaling of Blender .x and .fbx models is different. For reference: Importing into GameGuru, the test model needed to be scaled to 24 in .x to be the right height. The same exact test model exported .fbx needed to be set at 60.6 scale in GameGuru to be the exact same size.

* The shader was just the apbr_basic.fx

* For both .x and .fbx I needed to use the actual gameguru importer for this to even see the model. I know for .x a lot of times you can just create the fpe file yourself and skip the importer entirely, but I get the impression that is a non-starter with multitexture models.
PM
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
I've uploaded the hallways update to the architecture portion of the Mad Scientist's pack, so if you have the full pack or that portion of it, make sure to download. New bits include:

* 11 grid snappable Hallway prefab variations (Different material variations of 5 different main designs)
* Versions of most of the variations that have sections cut out so you can add in turns, different paths
* Several Fireplace designs
* Two styled wall torches
* A tight spiral staircase

Images attached:

Attachments

PM
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 13:06
Some great work here Lorddweeb, keep it up.
Dell Laptop I7-I7500U @ 2.7GHz to 2.9GHz, 16GB Memory, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit Operating System.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 13:41
Something about your meshes is just utterly statisfying
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 16:48
Wonderful work
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 06:56
I’m a total fan of your work too

I’m wondering if you are planning any more assets in this style - understand if you’re not as there is a massive amount of quality assets already.

I’m asking as looking for a retro/steampunk/fantasy communication machine that players can approach and use to spawn videos, ticker text or audios for quests. I can probably mash something together but am not anywhere in your modelling league so thought was no harm in asking

Cheers.
lorddweeb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys for your comments. I've still been plugging away, but the last couple of weeks or so mainly got eaten up by life outside of modeling. There is one more round of things coming for the Mad Science package before I finally put a bowtie on that one for good outside of minor updates. That's not to say I won't make more items that fit a mad science / 1870s-1920s / retro science vibe though.

Cybernescence, that sounds like a fun model to create. If you have specific ideas on that item feel free to PM me, but I'll definitely put it on my list of ideas to tackle.
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2018 12:40
Awesome stuff, those corridors and the spiral staircase look fantastic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:35:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:35:20