Product Chat / Inconsistant FPS Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 19:28
Using the public preview in March I noted significant speed problems when using an old map with a lot of model density.

This map is of a city (over 100 models) and almost all of the models do not use PBR. Most of them are pieces from the City pack I purchased several years ago.

The level loads OK, and starts OK, but when I try to move with either the mouse (turn) or the forward key, I get consistent freezes where the FPS drops to zero, and generally will not rise above 70 FPS. I can then move but within a few seconds it freezes again. I have already tried setting the VSync to zero which improves things a little, but does not stop the freezes and jagged motion during game play

Strangely, when I first used the final build last week, everything ran perfectly! I was averaging about 120 FPS, there was no freezes, and the shading looked amazing! Next day I'm right back to the freezes and jagged operation at the lower FPS????

I'm running with a high end graphic card (GTX 1060). I'm wondering if I'm missing something? Are there some settings I'm missing? Setting for the graphic card? Is there a special patch for Direct X 11? It just seems so strange that a level with a lot of older models will not work, while the same level worked perfectly in the previous versions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

AMD 6300 6 core 3.5 ghz, Windows 8.1, 8GB ram, GTX 650 2GB ram
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2018 05:18 Edited at: 1st May 2018 05:20
That's very strange for things to just freeze like that and drop. Wonder what the cause might be. Do you have a lot of scripts going on?

For a possible optimizing attempt you could try reducing your Camera Distance and Terrain Size sliders.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like a physics issue, this normally happens when some object is causing a collision it can't solve - I.e. it is stuck inside another object.
Try toggle the f11 modes until you find a consistent fps and see which mode is causing the issue.
If it is a physics issue the only real fix is to find the model and delete it or turn off its physics but obviously finding out which object it is will not be easy.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2018 18:34
Thanks TeaBone and smallg

In answer to Teabone's question on scripts... Yes I have several dozen scripts running which are used to automatically move entities around the map (cars, buses, trucks, elevated trains, etc) Again, never had any problem with these on the previous version, and they seem to run correctly under the X11 build.

I think smallg's comment on physics collisions make sense. This map was put together with several layers of overlays. The roadway background, the side walks which sit above the roadway, and the buildings and other models on top of that. The roadway was made from 16 panels which were laid next to one another to form the overall road pattern. I some cases I had to push them together to make them look right. Also, some of the buildings penetrate down into the sidewalk and roadway layers.

I can see how this would fit with smallg's idea, but why didn't I have problem on earlier GG versions?? This map is about 3 years old

I've been experimenting and the main source of the problem is the older models. It is also much more pronounced when I use the mouse than when using the movement keys. If I try to turn to the left or right the display locks for 1 - 3 seconds, and then the display catches-up. If I make a 360 degree turn it freezes one or two times. then, once I've completed the turn I can turn in that spot without any glitches. However, as soon as I try to move forward to a new location and turn again the same thing happens.

Unfortunately, finding and removing the problem models is not an option in this map since so many of the entities are interconnected that way. I am going to try and convert some of the older models to PBR and see if that helps. ?????? Still feel that this is a problem with my graphic card and X 11. Going to try and up-date.

Thanks Again

"THERE IS NO SPOON"

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2018 23:23
I wonder if its actually the player colliding with your roads? Sounds random but i noticed when the player collides with anything I get a 80% FPS reduction and sometimes a freeze in frames. not sure if this is the issue at all but its something i started noticing in later versions of Game Guru.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
SmallG and Teabone are on to this. Yeah could be an invisible mesh (though if like fpsc, caused by place,delete,place etc. can not be removed once embedded) or a Z axis issue possibly as I have seen this recently in testing. Good luck with your maps. Look forward to hearing more if you work it out.
Define R4, i5, 16g, R9 290
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 18:36
I get this exact same issue in both Test Game and a compiled version of my level. The metrics on test game show big spikes on the 'Misc' bar when there are freezes (couldn't get a screenshot of it) - these can last anywhere from 1 - 9 seconds. I've also been through Test Game in F11 gradually disabling stuff and none of the 9 options has any effect on the framerate issue. Now, granted, this is a level built entirely in X9 that has been saved in DX11, but still...

AE
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2018 15:50
Just as a follow-up...

Over the past few days I have converted a number of major models in my map to PBR textures. This includes the main street and sidewalk panels as well as about six buildings. Without any other adjustments there was a clear improvement in performance, particularly when looking at or being in the PBR textured models. However in areas dominated with non-PBR models the glitches continue. It will take a couple of weeks to convert all of the remaining models, and I'll let you know the results.
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:49:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:49:31