Product Chat / Some Questions About EBE and Entities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 18:41
Thanks again for all the help offered in the previous thread I made about weapon settings. I was about to make some of my dreams come true and just have some flourishes to put on my work later. I've now moved on to structures and level design so I'm flush with new questions. I would like to note that if this general forum is the wrong place to dump all my inquiries please feel free to let me know where would be better.

Anyway, the questions.
1. Are buildings built in EBE supposed to cause performance issues?
2. Can I create more than one chain of waypoints and would there be reason to?
3. Is there a damage scaling command for enemy scripts and/or FPE files?
4. Can sight angles/cones be adjusted vertically?
5. Is it common that enemies can shoot through walls?

Elaborations
1. So I slapped together an 8x8x5 (LxWxH) building with that EBE tool. Fastastic tool and surprisingly self-explanatory by the way. Once I saved the building and officially put it in the level all save/load times increased by roughly 90 seconds. Are the buildings made in EBE known to cause performance issues like this? If not was it maybe the size of the building? If known should I just stick to prefabes for anything bigger than 3x3x3 (or so) for now?

2. I think I may have used waypoints wrong so bear with me. I set up a pair of linked waypoints to give an AI a short patrol route. Then when I went to set up a new waypoint system so entities could climb stairs it wouldn't let me. I could chain dozens of waypoints off of the first one I made but could place a second separate one. Is this normal or is GameGuru wigging out on me? Most of the guides/tutorials I've looked over so far don't get in to having multiple waypoints in a level so I'm not sure.

3. This isn't a pressing issue since I found a work-around but I'm curious anyway. If I give an enemy a magnum I certainly don't want them dealing 50 damage per shot. Is there a setting for the entity's code and/or AI to scale their damage down? My current work around is to just make a copy of the weapon called "npcmagnum" with a damage value of 2 but my gut says that's not the intended solution. It works though but it will be tedious rebalancing for when I start thinking about multiplayer.

4. Adjust some properties, set sight distance and cone to values, turn on debug visuals, and I'll get a floor-based cone. Can I see/set values for how high/low an enemy can see? I'd love to set up rooftop snipers (or similar) but sometimes if I put them too high up they don't fire. Is the vertical sight angle connected to the regular sight cone or is it embedded into the entity's scripts directly?

5. So I've mapped my floor zone, put enemies on each floor, etc. I've found however that enemies will occassionally shoot through the walls. Currently I'm running these tests through one of the Death Valley pack building (and can switch to a base game entity instead if wanted for testing) but I'd assume the issue is similar across all solid entities. Usually their AI can't see me through walls until active but if I let one see me through a window it'll shoot at me while I work my way to the other side. The whole time I run around the building they'll shoot at me somehow dealing full damage through solid metal walls. Any idea why this happens? Was it because I scaled the building dimensions or maybe because the floormaps are a couple pixels too high?

Thanks again to everyone on these forums for being helpful and of course Lee for making a surprisingly good game maker.
Intel i7 3700, Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 (2GB), 16 GB DDR3 RAM
...and some mediocre MSI motherboard holding it all together. It's a bit of a franken-build but it's good enough for me.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
#5 is a bug I have noticed.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 14:26:30
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 14:26:30