Product Chat / Projectile system

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I had a quick look at the new projectile system... the variables seem very promising!

There's no manual or instructions however: I did some experiments but with little results. I only managed to make the Colt pistol shoot RPG rounds.

Did anyone have success with it and knows how to use it properly? My idea is to use the projectile system for all guns to give the game a bit of realism and better gunplay feeling.

PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 03:33 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2018 04:12
SHORT VERSION:
We don't yet appear to be able to have flak without explosion effects or flak that can deal direct damage.

LONG VERSION:
This feature isn't new so much as that it has been at least partially un-hardcoded.

1. You can create new projectile types but it seems like they can only be read from the default folder categories (example path: projectiletypes\modern)

So, that means you should be conservative with naming to avoid 3rd party conflicts. (example name: combybullet1) Inside the projectiletype folder you should have the appropriate files and the .txt file should have the appropriate model and texture pointers included. I find it simplest to start by making a copy of the rpggrenade folder and editing the contents to reflect the new projectile.

You should have:
combybullet1.txt
combybullet1.x
combybullet1_D.dds
etc.

Sound file names don't matter.

2. You need to specify the weapon to use it in gunspec with the lines:
flak = modern\combybullet1
projectile = modern\combybullet1

3. Once you have your weapon correctly reading from and using your new projectile (sounds like you're already this far along), you can start to tweak and edit the settings in the .txt file. Most of these settings are well commented for explanations of what they do and most of these settings seem to work correctly.

HOWEVER... Some of these settings appear to still be hardcoded or perhaps they are just not working quite as intended.
Things like speed and trajectory, lifespan, damage, and others appear to be user editable. But, there are other settings that don't really seem to be working to their described characteristics such as:

"resultEndOfLife" which is noted as supporting the following modes:
"0 - Nothing, 1 - Damage hit object, 2 - Create explosion"

and possibly:

; what happens if the object hits something
resultBounce = X

Logically, we should be able to use resultEndOfLife =1 and/or resultBounce = 1 to deal direct damage but instead, the projectiles seem to want to create an explosion graphical effect (the damage aspect can be removed) at the end of lifespan and unless "usingRealPhysics" is enabled, the projectiles just pass harmlessly through terrain and anything else.

Consequently, the default behavior with physics seems to be the projectile wanting to spin like a frisbee even with the rotation/spin settings zeroed out. There's probably a way around this but I couldn't figure it out (RPG flies straight-ish but does not use physics).

I did manage to achieve some LOLs tho...

Potentially, one could full on neuter explosion effects completely from the game and have some kind of tin can plinking or rock throwing simulator... I guess.

Anyhow, that's about as much as I could accomplish in the current iteration. Others may have better results.

EDIT: Overall still a failure but I was able to remove the frisbee effect by zeroing out wind resistance and got a little better bellet behavior by increasing velocity but they were still basically useless because even with hitpoints reduced to one, they were immune from damage. Maybe there is an FPE flag for enabling physics damage on entities that would be needed. I also continued to have the problem of tracer projectiles from flying increasingly down and to the left when in aiming mode. There's a lot of potential with projectiles (even something as simple as tossing out glow sticks) but unknown when we will experience it.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 09:53 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2018 09:56
I dabbled with this a little while back and had the same kind of issue ..
In this video the projectile is moving so fast you just cant see it .. But it is there ..

I also got confused over this
"resultEndOfLife 0 - Nothing, 1 - Damage hit object, 2 - Create explosion"

I worked out that it wasnt the projectile contact that killed the enemy but the explosion itself ( I used the RPG projectile )
My answer at the time was to simply change the explosion radius and replace the explosion2.dds with a blank texture ..
All the info is here but I had the same issues as you ..

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218149#msg2580509
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your precious help Errant & synchromesh!

I hope we will get access to more customization for the whole projectile system, as I said, i think it has a huge potential to give games some different feeling... I'm looking forward to the possibility of having some real bullet drop for sniper rifles!
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 23:49
There is already a "dropoff" setting under the weapon pickup's AI settings in the editor. More than likely, this is damage drop-off and not ballistic drop but I seem to remember something being mentioned about bullet drop in one of Lee's Twitch streams.

Ideally, we should be able to tweak settings of projectiles running in "raycast" mode so that we can simulate bullets rising to meet sighting zero and then dropping thereafter. It's currently difficult to do much with longer ranged weapon precision because impact decals are not drawn beyond a few meters and we have no bullet holes to verify where something hits. One would have to do something really wonky like erect a wall of small dynamic objects to detect where a shot has landed. Not really practical.

A super basic to use/modify but cleverly programmed raycast ballistics system would really only need to know:
muzzle velocity
ballistic coefficient
sighting-zero range

We also need to be able to just set a flag and have weapons use a simplified tracer effects of some sort that doesn't include all of the other calculation baggage.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope the quality of the explosions gets upgraded soon. Now we have PBR the low quality of these is more obvious.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
The Monster Updated included some improvements of the projectile system... does anyone have some experience with this new version?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 16:27:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 16:27:29