Product Chat / Draw Calls

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I notice the two things impacting performance on my maps are draw calls and polygons. I hope the single draw call thing gets attention soon. I wonder whether it will make much difference to frame-rates...?
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Draw calls make a big difference to performance. I'm not heard of any single draw call idea and I don't see how it would even be possible (without having the worst quality textures ever seen). Even a single object uses more than 1 draw call because of the normal maps etc. I've made mention of the draw calls being very high in the past but given the way GG works it's probably difficult to reduce while keeping the simpleness of GG. It's possible to do manually and it makes a noticeable difference. My New Beginnings demo in the WIP was customised to keep draw calls low as possible and most people were impressed with it's speed. Trouble with that was it took so long for me to optimise the models for the map, I was sick of it before I'd finished the level Adding AI still slowed it down badly regardless

I did a video on them ages ago for agk showing the difference with speed using 1000 sprites or something like that.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I think I remember when you posted the video.
I thought I read something about draw calls somewhere. Maybe in Lee's dev blog or the feature vote list.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
There was a post by Preben regarding GG loader and draw call optimisations by merging objects and thus reducing the images needed. Not into a single draw call but vastly reducing the total. I'm not sure if it is possible in GG as scripts and such run from those objects and merging them into one would present a challenge to keep things working. Possibly all static entities could be merged though. It would certainly give GG a little more zip
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 14:31:40
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 14:31:40