3rd Party Models/Media Chat / AE goes underground (AKA: AE tries to learn PBR)

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2019 02:16
Been following this from the start,your hard work and time spent looking things up is now paying off . Great example of patience and good modelling

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 2nd Mar 2019 03:09
I like posts like these - it's great to see how other people tackle things and also to see the results, especially when they are as good as you achieve in the end .

It would be nice to see the same shot in SF and GG to do a comparison of the lighting if you can be bothered

Cheers.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 16:31 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2019 16:34
Thanks for your compliments, guys!

cybernescence wrote: "It would be nice to see the same shot in SF and GG to do a comparison of the lighting if you can be bothered"

Good idea! I tried to replicate my SketchFab screenshots in GG...

They are actually not as different as I thought. The main drawbacks with the current Game Guru lighting engine are the lack of reflection probes and just the general way Game Guru handles reflections in PBR (basically only reflecting the skybox and specular highlights for dynamic lights), and the lack of shadows. The '5-unit minimum thickness' rule also massively hampers static lightmapping I find, and wouldn't work for these segments as most of them are flat polygons to keep the polycount down.

Getting these segments into Game Guru has highlighted one or two issues with texture-stretching so I will need to address those before I move on to the next model.

AE

Attachments

Login to view attachments
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 16:55
Yes I know what you mean about the light probes, though your assets still look pretty good to me in GG, I guess you've got a good handle on PBR now .

The ceilings seem to be a fair bit darker with the GG PBR, but that might be difference caused by how much ambient/general illumination applied?

Cheers.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 23:22 Edited at: 4th Mar 2019 23:23
Quote: "The ceilings seem to be a fair bit darker with the GG PBR, but that might be difference caused by how much ambient/general illumination applied?"

Yes I'm noticing that in both SketchFab and Game Guru; despite the ceiling texture being off-white it comes out looking dark grey in-engine. The difference is in SketchFab I can 'fake' global illumination a bit by using a hemisphere light angled upwards. As we know, Game Guru will only do point and spot light sources at present (and neither is very editable).

Banisters
Just a quick update tonight; I made some banisters for the staircase. Like a lot of the other assets, they are correctly aligned to just slot right in. Tap B twice and pg up a couple of times until they are the right height.

AE

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:20:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:20:18