Product Chat / Donation System For Freelancers

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Generally " Miscellaneous " funds can go anywhere … ( Thats what was used )
If TGC decide to use it pay someone to improve models then i dont see the problem.
Perhaps its just the later added " Asset Fixing Pot " causing the issue here ..

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like all this is being swung around where the issue is pretty clear. I am in no way saying there is anything wrong on the part of the guy's who stepped up to improve and fix these packs.
I believe that yes they should be paid for their efforts, if this was a case of a newly added 'Asset fixing Pot' used to do this it would be fine as anyone donating to it would know what they are contributing to.

Feel free to tell me how folks who donated to 'Miscellaneous' are benefiting from their money being used to update and fix model packs they may not own and which certainly weren't on the table when they made donations. Even if they do own them why should their donations be used to fix them when they already paid out. I don't have the slightest idea how much profit TGC have made or will make from the sales of these packs but pretty sure they could afford to dip into that 'pot' to pay for 'fixing' these rather than donations made in good faith.
Telling me a company can use donations however they please doesn't make it okay for them do so and myself and others can simply vote with our wallet if we don't like it.

Pointing me to that thread does nothing to improve my thoughts on this since it looks like they should never have been on sale in the first place. Personally I have done freelance work for TGC when Reloaded was first released and a high quality was expected much of this is stock you use even today. Somewhere down the line they obviously decided to revert back to the 'good enough' attitude they seem to adopt with quality control regarding their own products.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Pointing me to that thread does nothing to improve my thoughts on this"

Pointing the thread wasn't specifically for you ..
It was for those who may not know how all this evolved in the first place ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2019 15:17 Edited at: 24th Mar 2019 15:34
I will say this... I think a lot of all of this wouldn't be so much as a visible issue if the engine was getting the visible development attention it was as of a few years ago. A lot of the primary progression going on these days feels like updates to the DLC packs. So each update just feels like a commercial of some sort which in some cases doesn't pertain to all of us who might have already purchased the packs or who might not be interested in the theme. That will invoke critical responses for those waiting to see some serious advances with the core engine itself and not the sellable components of it.

I am still waiting on the progress of the 6 months of bug test proposal. We should be several months in by now. We are currently sitting on 134 bug reports: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/labels/bug

Its very likely there is a lot going on that we cannot see, but make that information be known so we are not dwelling on only marketable updates, for the internal community. Its almost like saying "so you didnt you buy this DLC because it wasnt PBR... well now it is and its on sale so go get it!". This is the impressions i get with these news posts.

I understand TGC has some bigger projects in the works so the attention towards GG is not the same as it was years ago. I do appreciate that they got Evan on board to help and i would like to thank all the community members who have been and are working to improve the stock and DLC assets of GG. Just feels weird when that becomes the primary development going on. Puts too much critical focus on it, being the main source for news when we have people here tuning in to check out the developments of the engine itself.

I kind of toot the same horn year after year, but its mostly because im still very passionate about this overall engine project and still believe in it. Despite having dipped into a few other engines as of late (as once even recommended by TGC to do so), i still keep coming back due to the ease of use and the community here is great and I've known many of you for many years. Its only as toxic as one can make it and most often by just leaving it can give off that connotation by letting it fester in an unknown future.

and shoutout to all those that contribute on the github! Keeping GG alive
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/network/members
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, you got a point Teabone.
If I was to review GG on Steam today, (I've been waiting to see bugs fixed)
But, the biggest asset GG has going for it now would be the assets
available for direct insert into the game. (Good assets buggy engine?!)
Secondly would be the community that is very active and interested
in the GG concept. But as for the engine itself, I couldn't offer too
much really super exciting except that I really like it's simplicity of GUI
as it is. The Character Creator and EBE are two things that many
engines don't have, but they would have much more potential even
expanded a little-- I've fiddled with them, but don't plan to make them
a part of any future project.
Other engines have much more complex GUI, and confuses even the
veteran game engine reviewers. GG would make the perfect beginner
game engine platform.

So if we looked at the Steam competition 'XY /anonymous' for example, they have
been actively progressing, and they are a single developer.
But they don't have an asset store to keep them occupied and driven to promote.
This is good in that the attention is only on the engine, and bad because
where do you get all the great assets GG offers?! You don't.

There are some quite interesting features of this particular competition
game engine, that I won't list here because that would be rude of me-
maybe against forum policy?!? IDK.

Anyhow, if that engine could combine with the assets and easy GUI
that GG has, I think we would be in business!
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL @ me! Well, good thoughts anyhow.
Is this still relevant BTW?

Quote-- "To start things off, and to test the system, I have donated £10 to the pots,
split 80% to physics work."
Physics has come a long way since Lee posted this. I'm sure (though I'm new
round here still -- ?)?
That the 2 official updates that I have seen (July and November 2018),
has brought improved physics. What I'm really asking is relevant is
on Lee's post about donations in general (The Original thread Topic.)
For this discussion was happening only one year ago...

PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2019 08:15 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2019 08:32
No category to donate for new features?

Maybe this could be expanded to be like the voting board but with money instead of votes.

Then again, I would probably get into bidding wars over a new character creator, allied characters, visual Lua and an integrated RPG system.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:13:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:13:05