Product Chat / Is C programming needed for gamguru?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Sports Programmer
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 04:56
I have learned C programming and I am not interested in lua. So, my question is, How beneficial C programing is? And should I learn C++? Will it help me?
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 09:33
C is pants, C++ is pantser, Lua is a million times better.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 10:46
Scripting is not programming, they are two different things, yes they share similarities, but they don't work the same. So comparing C and C++ with LUA is comparing apples and potatoes.

Now C# on the other hand can be compared with LUA because it is a scripting language, both have their good and their bad points, i'd have rather have had the ability to use C# with GameGuru, not because i know i any better, but because it seems to be the more commonly used scripting language in game engines, so it would be easier to adapt scripts from other engines, however LUA is just as powerful, and probably more adaptable as custom commands can be added whenever the Devs want to.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 11:28
The answer to your question is no, you do not have to learn C, C++ or C#. Game Guru is a scripting language and it uses LUA to script but if you have a knowledge of programming you should be able to get to grips with it easily enough.

Regards Andrew...
HP Pavilion Laptop - AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics - 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit Operating System.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have learned C programming and I am not interested in lua. So, my question is, How beneficial C programing is? And should I learn C++? Will it help me?"

C programming is not really useful here, except its closeness to lua. Learning C++ is always good, but you can not do much in GG, except you can modify the GG Source. If you are really not interested in Lua, you are completely wrong with GG as your engine of choice.
But Lua is not that hard if you understand the programming basics and after there is no objects in C, you will not miss that in lua much.

@Belidos
Quote: "Now C# on the other hand can be compared with LUA because it is a scripting language"

To compare Lua and C# is actually like comparing apples and potatoes. C# is a object orientated programming language like Java. Just because Unity use it for some reasons it is not a wide spread scripting language. Bad reference, but the most clearly arranged:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 17:46
Quote: "To compare Lua and C# is actually like comparing apples and potatoes. C# is a object orientated programming language like Java. Just because Unity use it for some reasons it is not a wide spread scripting language. Bad reference, but the most clearly arranged:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines"

Hmn, that's odd, because quite a few of those that according to that article use LUA, i have used in the past, and i'm sure i used C# with them, i didn't even know about LUA until i started using GameGuru, and i'm sure i was told in the past that C/C++ was for programming, and C# was for scripting calls from C/C++. Oh well, you live and learn, i retract my previous post if that's the case, i must have been using LUA all along and not realized it.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 19:52
If you want to do oops then Lua will do it, if you want to go functional, Lua will do that too! Lua is an extremely powerful language and by far the fastest embedded scripting language there is.

I highly recommend getting the official reference manual to learn how to use it properly.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 20:31
Quote: "I highly recommend getting the official reference manual to learn how to use it properly."

Been there, done that, all gobbledygook to me :p

Seriously though, I have learning difficulties, due to an old injury, my memory doesn't retain some things unless I am constantly doing them day in day out, I could learn how to do something in LUA and if I typed it out every day for a week I would remember it, but if I stopped doing it for a couple of days I would have to learn it all over again, that's why I get mixed up a lot.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 17:02
Belidos wrote: "my memory doesn't retain some things unless I am constantly doing them day in day out,"

Exactly the same problem I have which is why I haven't done anything with LUA as I'll forget it within a week.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W10 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 14:27:56
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 14:27:56