Product Chat / Multiplayer 2018 questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 02:44 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 03:08
To whom it may concern, I cant really tell who does support here these days. May need to email.

Anyway, the reason for my post.. I have been able to find documentation in 2015/16 etc. Though not much current information. So my questions as follows.
"For the moment we feel that it is best to ensure that the Steam version is solid and as GameGuru requires the Steam servers to run multiplayer sessions it isn't currently possible to host games as standalones" Quote 2015 thescenecommander

"Right now only people with a steam account and own Game Guru can play multiplayer." Quote 2016 Pirate Myke

1. Is it possible for someone that does not own Gameguru to play multiplayer in 2018?

2. Is it possible for the developer to create a standalone that the end user can download to play multiplayer?

3. Can a multiplayer map be hosted on a server in real time, with no one at the wheel (no host player hitting start game) ?

4. Can the end user join a multiplayer map at any time and the game starts when enough people have joined the lobby (set limit) and play?

5. If a commercial multiplayer map was created/built with intentions for sale, say on steam how does one go about this. I can not find info? Only about Steam workshop for hosting games with custom???

6. And final question. Is it possible to combine a series of maps into one product/create a custom menu? So it is possible to load a random map from the list?

Thank you in advance from the team here, if someone could shed some light on this topic or a direct source would be awesome
Define R4, i5, 16g, R9 290
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 03:10
Sorry to say that nothing in multiplayer has changed since then.

Has been on the voting board, but nothing reached the top spot yet.

But with the GitHub repository, maybe someone will start on the multiplayer stuff.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 03:14 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 04:07
Thank you Myke for the reply. Don't mind the quotes, purely for year reference.
So.. what you are saying there has been no progression at all on this side of the engine? I cant be the only one curious after all these years?
The famous voting board.... up and down
*edited, github? tgc have released the core, so non paid programmers can have try and build on it, if interested of course.
So does that mean TGC dont base their next move off the voting board now???

Well as the above questions are all NO..
With the current system in place. Does someone need to be at a PC to click and host/play? No way around that ?
Hosting/Loading multiple maps at same time, would this require more game guru licences and pc's to host? or can use same licence?

We've found that multi-player is one of the most requested features, so I think we'll be giving that a fair amount of attention soon (Nothing is set in stone of course at this point). We understand that some users have different priorities, but if we choose to focus on MP it will lead to single player additions by default. SC Quote Jul 2014

That quote is almost 4 years old, I look forward to hearing more. Thank you.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 04:05 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 04:06
the single player experience as it is has enough problems. With the memory cap issue with level to level. So it be a question of priorities at this point.

As for myself person i just want to make a working single player game from start to end lol and that has been quite the challenge as it is.

For multiplayer to work beyond just within the editor, it would need a standalone compile that some how allows it to use the steam server and enter the lobby for all others who are using that same standalone compile. I'm guessing some sort of address system would be needed to allow for matches to occur between two same game copies between players.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 04:17 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 04:37
Thank you Teabone,
Don't get me wrong, I am purely single player also. And have never made or tested a MP game with GameGuru, even the pre built maps.

However one should ask if no documentation and being a paid product, before working on something that cant run without someone physically clicking START Game. Which I now have my answer. We had an internal meeting it was brought up we could mash out levels with custom fast as an add on feature to our current on going project. However a couple of whiskys tonight to drown our sorrows....

Anyway, as I mentioned above in 2014 MP was high on the voting board, I have found several mentions.. then over this time has dropped,
My now current question.... With GitHub being used to expand the speed of making the engine packed with what ever if ever comes of it.
Doe this mean TGC dont focus on the voting board anymore. or is TGC directing the freelancers to the top voted features? It puzzles me, it has been 4-5 of waiting down here near Antarctica
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 05:19
[quote=]Anyway, as I mentioned above in 2014 MP was high on the voting board[/quote

The entire world was different in 2014. ]
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 05:27 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 05:28
Multiplayer Standalone is ranked 3rd most requested feature to date so I wouldn't be too surprised if it does get some attention "soon".

With the new Github access contributors can help out with bugs faster than ever before hopefully and features. I think to get the multiplayer working solid though the single player functionality has to also be.

I'm assuming every released multiplayer standalone game, has to operate as if its actually the GG engine in order to use the Steam server. Basically its the engine without the editing functionality in it and only the "test mode". I could be wrong but I think games made with GG kind of operate this way already? I am not too sure how the compiling works. But that's for some expert over at Github to figure out
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 06:14 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 06:14
Cool, Thank you once again for your insight. Sad to see its been this long, though I do respect the decision to focus on SP.
Plus going commercial MP charge someone a fee for access and then they still need to buy GG on top of that = not happening unless its amazing gameplay.

And yes this is true, I hope it goes well for everyone. And thanks again Teabone for the awesome community support, as you also Pirate Myke.
PM
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 06:40 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 09:08
@ Jerry Tremble, this is true Things change. I did read a lot of interesting topics over the 4 year period of time. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks again for everyones input. much appreciated.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Doe this mean TGC dont focus on the voting board anymore. or is TGC directing the freelancers to the top voted features? It puzzles me, it has been 4-5 of waiting down here near Antarctica "

I did ask Lee in the GitHub thread back in January regarding the voting board and he responded there ..

Quote: "As to the voting board, I want to see how the collaborations unfold (both free and contracted) before deciding what should happen come voting board reset time. The board was meant to control what 'Lee' should work on next, but the new paradigm means five or fifteen things can be worked on at the same time, at different speeds, and so there is no longer a single task being worked on. GitHub does have a new 'project' management system which might be of use, but like many of you, GitHub will take some time to learn. I have only ever used it for basic source code control. Branching, issues tracking, wiki pages and open collaboration are all new toys, and as much as my instinct knows this is the smarter way to develop, I still need to acquire the skills to use these new tools "
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 11:30
Quote: "We've found that multi-player is one of the most requested features, so I think we'll be giving that a fair amount of attention soon (Nothing is set in stone of course at this point). We understand that some users have different priorities, but if we choose to focus on MP it will lead to single player additions by default. SC Quote Jul 2014

That quote is almost 4 years old, I look forward to hearing more. Thank you."

Unfortunately it may have been the most requested back then, however right now it's not. That's how a community vote works, if the community doesn't vote for it, it doesn't happen, and so far since that quote it hasn't been high enough in the votes to work on. There's a slightly bigger chance of it happening sooner now that the source code is on GitHub and it can be worked on by any community member that wants to, so there's now two avenues of updates this could conceivably be done in, but that would require someone with the right knowledge and the will to do it. Until then we have the voting board, if you want multiplayer enhancements or changes, then vote for it and hope others do to.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 11:34
Quote: "Doe this mean TGC dont focus on the voting board anymore. or is TGC directing the freelancers to the top voted features? It puzzles me, it has been 4-5 of waiting down here near Antarctica "

Basically the development cycle and voting board will continue exactly how they have always worked. Lee will work primarily on whatever is next on the voting board when the votes are counted. The difference now is that the various coders we have in the community can work on their own features and upload them to the repository, at which point Lee can review them and if they work and don't break anything push them into the pipeline without having to do too much extra work himself. It also gives him an avenue to hire a 3rd party coder to work on small updates and bug fixes on the side-line so he isn't distracted from his primary focus, which is the latest on the voting boards and bug fixes.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Defy
There is also this approach if you have a budget perhaps

Quote: "Lee Bamber ... We also get approached sometimes by third parties who want to pay up front for a specific feature, and we can arrange that special contracts be tended to deliver that feature. Only a few days ago on YouTube channel, someone wanted to pay $50 to have a weapon that fires green plasma bolts, which is basically reskinning one of the stock weapons, expanding the fireball projectile system a little and adding a green plasma bolt. Would take me about an hour or two, but that's $50 earned to the lucky contributor and everyone in the GameGuru community benefits with the addition of a new weapon and an expanded projectile system.
"
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 14:52
I've just paid myself a cup of tea to fix the "Include" issue I raised!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 15:02
Quote: "I've just paid myself a cup of tea to fix the "Include" issue I raised! "

So technically, you're under contract?
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 15:12
Quote: "I've just paid myself a cup of tea to fix the "Include" issue I raised! "

I would have given you a biscuit to go with that
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 16:46 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 17:02
Quote: "Plus going commercial MP charge someone a fee for access and then they still need to buy GG on top of that = not happening unless its amazing gameplay."

The idea of the multiplayer standalone (if/when it gets made) is that players would not require the GG editor but would all require the multiplayer standalone game. Like a normal multiplayer game, in theory. A solution will need to happen at some point since TGC decided to sell as an engine that supports multiplayer games.

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks all once again for your replies. I do love how this community always comes together. Its great to hear peoples views.

First I should address my interest from said early date to now was purely because I myself have never developed anything in MP.
So the questions I guess were based purely on user response on this matter to understand where MP sits and learn from others here.
Either case it is not a compliant about it not working, more so is anything possible with this mode outside of its current state.

I am also a big supporter of what has been voted for, completed and next in line.
And thank you also to everyone's input 'including the cup of tea' Grats also. And the reference quotes.

@synchromesh - Thank you, explains perfectly. More curious than worried about anything And thank you also for that suggestion.

@Belidos - Yes I agree, it was interesting reading. I cant even remember when it was high on list.. Either case Yes agree, and it is a very positive move and thank you for your time and information.

@AmenMoses -

@GraPhiX - Greetings

@Teabone - Yeah, this is true. I was meaning more on the side of if a standalone wasn't available and a dev tried to sell a MP game now in current state via a subscription or some how.. though that's off topic. Anyway, yes I agree with you. And thank you again for your contribution on this topic.
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2018 22:32
Yeah so from my experience dedicated multiplayer servers are always the way to go.

For example if you look at COD4 remastered on Steam it has very low users but the non-Steam version still has hundreds of active servers and people playing not to mention all the custom rules and stuff thats been added.

Also Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament still had a ton of people playing for a long time on dedicated servers. Probably way more than somethink like Quake Live got. I guess a lot of people just prefer connecting and playing that way.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 14:35:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 14:35:34