Product Chat / Gameguru Project Copyright

Author
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey people,

I'm wondering how do I protect a game made on gameguru against piracy. I mean, theres any code that says that my steam user made that game or any other way to say that I created it?

I heard about send a mail to myself and keep the letter closed and anteriority proof, but would like to know if theres a easier way.

Thanks all
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 18:46
All it really takes is one person to download your game for it to then get pirated. I don't recall this happening with any Game Guru game yet. There's no real way to prevent piracy unfortunately. However its something I'd not be too concerned about as Game Guru created games haven't really reached that level of desire yet - from what I've seen online.

If you're worried about someone stealing your game and uploading it; when you register to upload with steam account you will be asked to present your company name. Your company name should be reflected in your game as well. For example best way to do this is something like a splashscreen. Then if anyone tried to steal your game and reupload for sale on Steam you can request a take-down by contacting Steam and they will look at the published date.

Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
GG will encrypt the media by default so you just add your own splash or menu etc so it is protected/obvious to some extent, though yes i guess they can technically upload the project elsewhere it would be pretty easy to show it's your work when it's exactly the same game and any reliable store would remove it after you contacted them. (bit torrents are a whole other matter but it's unlikely anyone would bother).
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 08:34
Quote: "I don't recall this happening with any Game Guru game yet."

I have dozens of "download" Links for Hunted.
THere are even youtube tutorials on how to pirate it. You can't do anything against it.
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
@TheGermanMusicDude @DK_Productions My "Website"

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 22:43
Just keep in mind, that in the long run there will be ~ 5 - 20 illegal copies for each copy sold on Steam, keep calm and deal with it.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 23:36 Edited at: 6th Feb 2018 23:38
be nice to have some script encryption though P.S m8 the poor mans copyright doesnt stand
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2018 06:52
Quote: "Just keep in mind, that in the long run there will be ~ 5 - 20 illegal copies for each copy sold on Steam, keep calm and deal with it."

Very true!
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 00:12
I plan to have the scripts for the standalone pre-tokenised at some point, once I figure out where the 'make standalone' bit lives in this humongous code base!

Not only will that make them virtually unreadable but it should mean they load faster, not that script loading is an appreciable percentage of the game loading time anyhow!

If anyone wants to do that before I get around to it feel free btw.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 14:26:03
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 14:26:03