Scripts / Feedback needed on pickuppables functionality and usage

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 20:42
Latest version, needs several new commands in GG so I'm not posting a script yet.

What I do need now is some idea of what people would use this for so I can add support in the script for it, for example I'm about to add functions callable from other scripts to interrogate the state of the 'pickuppable' objects, e.g. which entity(s) is(are) currently being carried, which objects have ever been carried etc.

Currently the object being carried detects the terrain and avoids it and I'm going to work on a rudimentary detection of other objects so you can't carry something through them but with the current engine Physics there is a limit to what is really feasible in that regard.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 20:57
Building a house or a base maybe? lots of games use this for that so i supose that might be a good angle
Have them snap together and store in a kind of inventory
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 21:32
Well that would be out of the scope of this script, if for example your 'pickuppable' items were bricks and the aim of the game was to build them into specific structures, maybe to make a bridge across a stream or something. Then this script would handle the picking up of the bricks, transporting them to the build location and manipulating them into place. A second script would need to then be triggered to 'glue' them into place.

So to enable that I need a function to remove a 'pickuppable' from the list, i.e. make it no longer react to the player, then the controlling script could calle one function to find out what is being carried, i.e. 'Big Brick' or 'Wall Section' or whatever then call the function to find the entity id being carried. Then the control script can monitor when it is dropped, check it is in the right place then call the 'remove' function to take over final 'glueing' of the entity.

Good start.
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 23:52
Stack some items such as barrels or logs after collecting them in order to climb on top of a steep rockwall or place a ladder against a building to be able to go on to the roof or balcony.

Could it be possible to place ammunition in canons?

Prepare a potion or food by throwing gathered and needed ingredients into a cauldron.
Food for survival, a potion for health and more strength.

Place and light fire torches in dark caves.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2018 23:05
Progress video. Not much left to do to this really, I've taken it about as far as possible with current Physics implementation.

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
looking great, i really like that you can even rotate things with stuff on top and still keep it all in the correct positions
you just need a placement indicator underneath so you know where the object will land it seems
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 01:00 Edited at: 10th Feb 2018 01:45
I've just managed to sort out a way of slowing down the player and stopping the jumping so now if you are carrying something and hold down space bar you can get more accurate placement but yes I think I need to maybe have a decal or something positioned below the centre of the object being carried. The only downside to that is it then requires a more complicated set up than simply adding the script to every item you want to manipulate as it is now.

Btw the script allows the height, distance from player and left to right offset to be set in variables, in fact almost everything is easily configurable.

Here is the bit of script that determines whether one pickuppable is sitting on another:

Here is the bit of the script that repositions the 'stack' of items:

Just to give you some idea of how complex the thing is, and yes it is recursive!

And here are the user configurable variables:

And finally the global functions that can be called from other scripts:

Can you think of anything I've missed out?
PM
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 02:48
Well done A.M.
Great coding.....way past anything I'd try to do for sure.

Keep up the great work. ....

Unird12b
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 11:08
As is usually the case I went to sleep last night thinking I was almost done with this and feeling really chuffed at how well it works, I also honestly though (as I said above) that I had "taken it about as far as possible with current Physics".

Woke up this morning feeling like a right plonker amid realisation that I don't have to fix anything else in GG to get this working even better, what I need to do is add SLERP and a wee bit of a re-design, which if it works as well as my 'sleeping brain' thinks it should I can then put in the engine as a new set of Lua commands!

First thing though is to take another look at the Bullet engine, I'm thinking it brobably has the functionality I require, maybe all I have to do is make it accessible to Lua. If so it will save me a lot of time.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 14:20 Edited at: 15th Feb 2018 22:56
So to hopefully prompt more feedback here is a standalone of the test level shown in the above video:

I'm busy implementing what my 'sleeping brain' came up with but he is obviously far cleverer than me cos it's darn tricky!

I've coded the SLERP stuff but have no idea whether it works or not yet, soon find out when I try to use it in anger I supposed.

Link deleted as new one going up shortly.
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 20:41
Hmm, i grabbed the files and placed it in the editor to place some more items.
My plan was to play some kind of hockey with a ball and a stick but also to catch a fish out of the pond and put it in my cauldron.
But then i found that i'm missing something which you have implemented into GG.

The script is really fun to play with

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 21:05 Edited at: 10th Feb 2018 21:23
I did say in the first post that this was the case!

Stop being so impatient, the script will be available when the release with my additions goes out, mind you I've seen no evidence yet on GitHub that anyone has reviewed or tested my additions so I don't know when that may happen.

I have a bunch more changes for the engine and a new quatlib.lua script, I ended up doing SLERP and NLERP and both seem to work but now I'm trying to pin down two problems:

1) Scaled models seem to rotate weirdly where unscaled ones do not, this is not too much of a problem as you can still manipulate them but visually it looks weird, it only started happening when I added the SLERP so it has something to do with very small rotations.

2) When carrying a weapon the script checks to see if the player has put it away before allowing things to be picked up (as otherwise using the mouse confilcts with the weapon controls) but if RMB is pressed the weapon comes back. I can't track down where this code is, I've looked at gameplayercontrol.lua but can't find the offender in there so I'm wondering if that behaviour is still hard coded in the engine.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 21:22
Strangely enough, although it sounds complex, adding the LERP functionality was relatively simple:

This version is using NLERP as it is supposedly quicker but I'm not convinced it matters for this application, it is usually used to rotate limbs to in-between frame positions for smooth animation so if you were applying it to lots of models all with their own animations I suppose it might make a difference, here its is only once per frame and only on the base model - the one carried by the player.

Here it is in action, compare with previous video and see if you can spot the difference it makes. The video also shows the weird difference between the small barrel (scaled) and the large one (same model not scaled).

PM
Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 21:32
Yes! The hand image instead of text for pickups, i was looking for that!
Visit our FB site and like
https://www.facebook.com/crowhillstudiosofficial
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 21:35 Edited at: 11th Feb 2018 01:35
That reminds me, if anyone would like to provide me with something more original than a plain green hand .... preferably something original and not like any other game engine.

Another problem I'm having:

My son beta tested this for me and tried something that apparently other engines suffer from; Place a box on top of another box, jump on top, look down and 'pick up' the bottom box and you fly!

Similarly picking up a big object and tilting it so it is perpendicular with the terrain, look down and off you go being pushed along the terrain!

Not sure how to 'fix' either issue yet.

Edited to add: Solved the weapons issue and the flying issue but not the pushed along the terrain one.

Now I have a different problem, I'm using the ray cast method to detect items on top of other items but it doesn't work very well with items that have holes in them, crates for example! Will need a rethink, I'm toying with using the pointInPoly method that I used for zones except I'll use the collision box of the items to generate the polys. That should work.

Oh and NLERP works better than SLERP for what I am using it for. I'll keep both in the quatlib but NLERP seems to work for any angular range whereas SLERP fails if the angular change is too large.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 09:22 Edited at: 15th Feb 2018 22:56
New version to play with.

Link deleted as new one going up presently.
PM
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm downloading now. I haven't had any spare time to play lately. I been too busy with winter Carnival.
Jim C
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2018 20:51
Any feedback? Anyone?
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Feb 2018 22:05
AmenMoses i have watch the latest video and i must say its brilliant, it looks fantastic.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2018 04:03 Edited at: 15th Feb 2018 04:57
Quote: "Any feedback? Anyone?"

There are so much capabilities with this, but the movement of the player going back or forth is to fast to really be able to stack more precise.
It really is a huge accomplishment on your part AmenMoses, a deep bow.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2018 08:13 Edited at: 15th Feb 2018 08:16
Hold Space down whilst carrying to 'creep' slowly. I need to put in a slight delay to the reactivation of 'jump' ability though as when you press the mouse to drop it and you haven't let go of the space bar you immediately jump which isn't very helpful if you're carefully stacking and forget to let go of space then jump into the stack!

Nice to see it actually working in someone else's machine though.

(You do realise you can pick up stacks of entities and that you can rotate in two planes)

One thing I will add is a function to turn off the prompts so that in game you can have a tutorial section then simply call the function when the player has learned all the capabilities.

PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2018 19:18
Downloading, will test this ASAP. Awesome, been wanting this for a long time.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Bluedio Vicotry V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2018 19:34 Edited at: 15th Feb 2018 19:44
GG is getting stuck when on Loading Physics in map editor, what files do I copy over I have the main Lua files and the 2 libraries and the e_hand4.png

I see the e_hand4.png was encrypted, I ran the .exe and all works fantastically, his is just so very very much needed, anyway we can get the hand4.png no encrypted.

Well done AmenRoses.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Bluedio Vicotry V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2018 19:56 Edited at: 15th Feb 2018 19:57
When using in my own map I get this error as seen in image. ????

I have created my own hand image. So I'm not sure why this error happens.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2018 22:15 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 01:11
Did you read the first post? It relies on my extensions to the Lua commands which you won't have yet!

I've also now completed the change to compile the scripts for the standalone so I've deleted the original downloads and am currently uploading a new version. I'll post the link shortly.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a6f8253c0t58kf4/pickuppables.7z

Still need some idea of what people would do with this and any suggestions for additions or improvements.
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 03:18
With the spacebar it is really controllable, the only downside is the visibility when stacking the barrels.
Despite that, i managed to stack them nicely without a problem.

Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll test it on Monday sorry no time Here are some way's I'm going to use your scripts. When in battle I can use your script to make a temporary shelter. Just to keep some bullets from hitting me. Also stacking objects to make stairs that you can climb up. Moving stuff out of the way. From a blocked passage. Feed sharks with little fish. Make a bridge to walk across. I'm going to use your script mostly to make my own puzzles. SHHhhh don't tell anyone. I have several uses for it. It figures things are starting to pick up and getting really exciting! And now I have no time to even try the new public preview! My job is taking up all my spare time. Second week in March is when I can finally play with g.g. again. But I can still visit the forum's.
Jim C
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 07:12 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 14:05
Hmmm, the feed sharks with little fish ... presuming the little fish are animated and have their own script already then you won't be wanting to attach aa different script to them so I need to think up a way to make anything pickuppable without the script actually being attached.

I feel another module coming on.
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 08:15 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 08:17
Ahh OK I must of missed the bit about the extensions, thanks AmenRoses. All works really well in the .exe, very impressed.

Had a thought though, you have done a fantastic job with pick, drop and rotate and stack, what about the ability to throw objects as well, is that achievable ?

Awesome work though.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 09:10 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 09:12
Lol, I knew that was coming.

That would definitely need a change to the engine as currently you can apply a force to the player from Lau but not to an object.

When Lee released the code I went looking to see what would be required but then saw the post from StabInTheDark so have held off waiting to see what they come up with. It is actually a difficult prospect to add due to there not actually being a 'real' player object so how does the script (or engine) know where to apply the force? Unless you have one key for 'kick with left foot' and another for 'punch with left hand' and another for 'push with nose' ... well you get the drift.

A lot of games cheat and simply apply a set force in the direction the player is looking, that would be a reasonably simple thing to add but I've never really liked that approach as it is a bit of a copout.

More importantly for me is that we get the engine correctly applying friction and drag to Physics objects, try this in the standalone:

Place an exploding barrel in some clear space, place a stack of boxes on top and a small ammo box.

Now stand back and shoot the barrel.

Afterwards you can find the boxes (weight 100) as they don't travel far) but the small ammo box (weight 30) will be gone, blown clear off the map! The reason is that there is no drag applied so nothing except gravity to slow it down.

One of the first game demos I created with GG was a ball game but I found that the balls would ricochet of of static objects and actually accelerate away through the air!
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 17:42 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 17:42
Ok Amenroses thanks, when will this be fully availabe, in the store or as part of the official GG release.

This is so very useful and needed.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 18:11
Don't know who Amenroses is (new member of GnR maybe?) but I have pushed the script and fpm up to the repository so it's up to Lee as to when/if it gets included in the official release.
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 19:12
Quote: " It is actually a difficult prospect to add due to there not actually being a 'real' player object so how does the script (or engine) know where to apply the force? Unless you have one key for 'kick with left foot' and another for 'punch with left hand' and another for 'push with nose' ... well you get the drift."

AmenMoses, Do you think maybe it would be possible to do something like some of the other games do ,,, the games are so that you can move in the game the camera forward or back so that you can actually see the the third person player , or pull the camera back so that it looks like a first person game, but all the time you have a actual player in the game, then would it be possible to throw objects ?
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 19:22
You could pull the camera back but there is no player there to see, unless you are in third person mode anyway.

What you need is a proper skeleton attached to the player position with arms and hands which can be articulated (not just animated) to fit the action you want to perform. Then you need to set up proper physics interactions between the limbs and the objects in the game world, for VR this is really the only way it would look realistic.

In order to make it usable though you would also need some sort of haptic feedback system, mouse and keyboard are pretty useless for that sort of thing.

If you ever find a game engine that does all that for less than a tenner let me know.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Impressive !!
Not keen on the hand but hey who cares ... id buy it
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2018 08:18
You don't need to buy it, you'll be getting it for free soon, well that's if Lee decides it's worthy.

Which hand don't you like btw? The new fleshy coloured one?

The hand sprites will be in the script bank/images folder and it's simple enough to drop in a new one (or actually two now) of your own. The size of the hand can be controlled by a single setting at the top of the script.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2018 18:54 Edited at: 17th Feb 2018 18:56
Quote: "Which hand don't you like btw? The new fleshy coloured one?"

Don't worry just me being fussy
For me the hand doesn't suite that particular map ... I think with that I would prefer text .. " press LMB to pickup " or a symbol of some kind.
However for a cartoon map I may well like a hand ... If you can replace it with your own that's awesome
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
Nah just the dead little fish you see the fishermen scooping up out of a barrel or bucket. But, if you want to? I will have several uses for that script also.
Jim C
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2018 10:26 Edited at: 20th Feb 2018 10:34
Have gone further with this (see thread on Product forum) and now have push/pull/throw as well.

@synchromesh: The hand sprites are just called hand1.png and hand2.png so you can replace those with some other sprite or just blank sprites.

hand1 is a plain one that indicates when something can be manipulated, hand2 has a 'stop sign' superimposed to indicate that the object would normally be manipulatable but for some reason you cannot currently do so (too heavy, too big, already carrying a weapon).

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:31:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:31:52