Product Chat / Visual Issue - Roads

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 05:30 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2018 05:50
Hi everyone, I have loaded up a map I was roughly working on and I noticed a visual problem in the public preview and unsure of the cause. The roads seem to have reduced textures quality based on the distance of the player. Something that was not the case in DX9.

Is there a new section of the setup.ini that controls this? I would like to either remove this from happening or increase the distance so its not so noticeable. I wouldn't mind it if it was more distant as i believe its whats helping with the maintained 60 fps in my scene.

At first I thought it had to do with the depth of field, but i have that completely shut off.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 06:55
The issue has to do with mipmapping and normals, which is causing visuals seams, some thing lee has to fix.
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 07:44 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 04:04
This weird blurring effect that seems to be set at a certain distance from the player.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 08:06
Show in game, not editor......editor issues doesn't necessarily translate to in game ?
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 08:36 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2018 08:37
@Teabone check your settings.fx in your reloaded folder make sure the two lines below are enabled

to enable them take the \\ from the front of the line then restart GG
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 09:12 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2018 09:18
Hi guys I should mention that the in editor screenshot is the same in game as well in regards the issue with the road. Reason why I think its important to note both is this isnt a result of the depth of field controls or any other tab slider. Nor is any FPE setting activated in game. Its the same in editor and in game. Which leads me to believe its a global shader issue, entity shader issue, or setup issue, or hardcoded issue. It does this with very few entities which is interesting.

In Game:

I'll check that out tomorrow GraPhiX, and see if it fixes the issue. I got to get some rest, spent far too long trying to sort out a slew of issues tonight

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 09:24
I don't have this issue with my roads. I assume this is related to the .dds compression you use. As wizard pointed out...maybe something to do with mip maps.

See images of my road attached

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 10:42 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2018 10:48
Quote: "Hi guys I should mention that the in editor screenshot is the same in game as well"

I actually mentioned in the beta thread I think that everything looked blurrier in the DX11..
I think I was told that it was because the dividetexturesize in the setup.ini was set to 4 ..

EDIT .. Forget that preben told me they weren't working at the time ...
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 11:58 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2018 11:59
@Teabone is that terrain painting or are they models ? if they are models which ones are they?
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 16:35
@Teabone. i had the same problem, but then i updated my graphic card to the latest drivers and my problem was solved.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 18:12 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 04:06
Quote: "I assume this is related to the .dds compression you use"

Its the roads in the Mega Pack 3 DLC - Urban Scenery.

I also tried my own roads which have pretty bare-boned FPE data and i get a strange blurring effect just out of reach of the player with it too. I'm using the standard entity shader.

Quote: "dividetexturesize in the setup.ini was set to 4 .."

Mine is set to 1.

I should also notice that the roads look perfectly fine in front of the player but drop in quality further and further from the player in stages it appears. Also everything worked fine back in DX9.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 02:50 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 03:52
Quote: "@Teabone check your settings.fx in your reloaded folder make sure the two lines below are enabled
#define IMPROVEDISTANCE
#define MEDIUMIMPROVEDISTANCE
to enable them take the \\ from the front of the line then restart GG"

They were/are enabled

Here is what I have recently done and found no fix:

* I updated my video graphics driver
* I validated my steam files

* Saved DDS Textures as DXT1 Compression
* Reduced Texture size from 2048 to 1024
* Removed cullmode = 1 in FPE
* Removed Transparency = 1 in FPE

And this is the result, a lower quality blurry in the distance road:

In Game (original road from the megapack3 dlc to the left, and my modifications from above to the right)

In Editor:

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 10:32 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 11:01
Ok really strange ... I thought I would take a look ... Are we using the same road ?
I'm getting it crystal clear ?

But I am sure I had this issue once ... The only thing I have done is to revert back to the Retail build to tests things for customers then revert back to the Beta preview on occasions .. I'm using the Beta now is that what your on ?

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Sorted !!

Its fine in the Beta preview but not in the public Preview...
If you have access to the beta install that and that will sort it ... If not your gonna have to wait for the next update ..

Note ... A slightly newer beta does not mean a more stable version !!
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 11:10
Teabone, does the texture (right) have mipmaps? it seems like it doesn't have mipmaps.

When removing mipmaps from the original textures, i'm getting the same result as you.
only when the texture is uncompressed i get a same result while using mipmaps.

See the attachment.

I think you already have read the comment of Preben on Github about the larger mip lod bias, this could be related i think.
Also, entities with lod stages seem to change quite fast while the player is still at a very short distance of the entity.
Well, at least this is the case with the broken cinderblock large in the boxes folder.

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Earthing45 ..
Read above ..Its a Public Preview build issue ..
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 11:14
synchromesh, you are fast or i'm quite slow at the moment.

Good to see that it is fixed already.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 11:38 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 11:57
Quote: "Good to see that it is fixed already. "

Well we got this little update just after the public preview ... But just before Xmas ...
So this issues been fixed a while ...
Explains why my Blurriness issue I reported originally seemed to rectify itself ..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 21:43 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 23:19
Thanks for the update about this synchromesh! Its great to hear its been fixed

I felt it was important to make this thread here instead of reporting to the github right away. Don't want to report anything that might have already been fixed. This is good to know.

I hope those fixes get added to a new build soon. Cause i don't think its safe for me to keep bouncing versions with my projects. PP has been out so long that i think everyone has used it now with their projects and left DX9 behind.

Still find it strange that some people are not experiencing this blurring issue in the DX11 PP release.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 07:30
Ahh, the penny drops. No wonder I couldn't relate to some of the PP problems being reported if the Beta is different.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 13:27 Edited at: 6th Feb 2018 13:58
It was a very small update on the 15th I think .
So subtle that nothing changed on the changelog or intro ..
Obviously a last minute tweak of some kind but obviously made a big difference there ..
PM
Johno 15
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 16:07
If I may just chip in, I did have this issue a while ago and I spoke with Lee about it, we did find out that indeed the previous build was fine and it was just the public preview that had the error. I have attached the example problem I had which I showed to Lee and his first response as well. Hopefully it will end up getting fixed in a later build, don't wanna be stuck on the beta build forever!
'Judge a man not by his answers. But by his questions.'

Attachments

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 17:39 Edited at: 7th Feb 2018 06:58
I hear you. I think everything needs to be consolidated and put together. With fixes to the crashes and this blurring issues (seems both have had fixes in the beta and an unreleased fix on github). Lightmapping issues and memory issues can be fixed later -- doesn't need to be in the next official immediate build, since its rarely used by the steam users and mostly by us. Additionally those issues sound like they would take weeks to months in their own right.

Issue tracker is now up to 50 reports (partly my fault), 10 of which have not yet been flagged/labeled. Curious if the GitHub contributors are helping with solving bug issues or just adding their own features? Not entirely a bad thing either way. Improvements are improvements.

Quote: " the beta testers didn't report the same problems "

I reported a lot. Including major crashes. But they are still in the PP unfortunately. I think this was due to maybe trying to reach a 2017 end deadline. all we can hope for now is again a consolidation of the recent fixes and compiled and push out so we can at least get past DX9 and move away from crashes and visual bugs. Noticed some negative reviews on Steam giving reference to GG still being in DX9. So I don't see any harm in releasing the beta with the fixes on github towards the crashes included.

Curious whats happening behind closed doors though ... maybe its a hive full of busy bees.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 20:05
Well you have little hope of anyone new finding the bugs unless they are a) easily repeatable, b) don't require in-depth knowledge of the code to track down and c) can be found without debugging tools.

Like Lee always says, provide a description of how to trigger the problem preferably with an example fpm and associated scripts etc and we may have some hope of at least the a) part!

I think Lee's plan is that collaborators handle a lot of the new features or extending/improving existing features freeing him up for the nasty stuff like performance fixes and stability issues.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2018 06:33 Edited at: 7th Feb 2018 07:00
This visual issue I'm experiencing with roads and other entities sounds like it has been fixed in the private beta. So I'm kind of wondering if i should for now be testing and using the PP or Beta. its a bit of a toss up

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This visual issue I'm experiencing with roads and other entities sounds like it has been fixed in the private beta. So I'm kind of wondering if i should for now be testing and using the PP or Beta. its a bit of a toss up "

The Public preview probably isn't going to change until its 99% ready but we still need a lot more beta testing ..
PM
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
The beta release do not generate mip maps and dont have this problem but have a aliasing / flicker problems instead.

The Public Preview and the GitHub versions had this problem , it has been fixed here:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/40

Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,

Attachments

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2018 14:49
Preben, thanks for fixing this problem.

That looks fantastic.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2018 17:42
Saw that on the github this morning Preben wonderful news. Can't wait to actually get a hold on a new build lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 14:24:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 14:24:01