Product Chat / documentation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2018 16:27
I've started this thread so we can explore the wishes for documentation and how it is best presented.
There are already some docs in the documentation folder and the Public Preview Beta has a very good tutorial which can be opened when you click on 'learn' in the welcome screen.

When reading through the issue list which Lee has posted on Github it seemed clear that i'm able to contribute which i very much want to do.

Last year after finishing the EBE tutorial i've started with a tutorial for GG but health problems prevented me from working on it and late in the year i thought it was best to wait for the DX11 version with the new look to be released.

If you have wishes and ideas on documentation, please post them here.

TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 13:52
Well, I think it might be an idea to have whatever documentation we have for GG online available through the menu at the top of this forum as well as in the menu of GG itself.
HP Pavilion Laptop - AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics - 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit Operating System.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 15:05
Quote: "Well, I think it might be an idea to have whatever documentation we have for GG online available through the menu at the top of this forum as well as in the menu of GG itself."

Have to agree,long overdue I think.also plain and simple to read.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2018 16:29
That is certainly a lot easier, having a drop down menu for the tutorials makes them easily accessible.

This will also be preferable in my view because with multiple docs one can easily select the doc with the needed information.
Give them a brief name, editor, basic, physics, shaders, lua, import, and so on.
Having it setup this way makes it easy for everyone to access the needed info while they are building their game.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2018 05:03 Edited at: 27th Feb 2018 05:07
I've been working on a FPE PDF file. Sourcing from my developing list here:

http://freetoronto.org/gameguru/tutorial_fpe.html

I still think however that Game Guru needs desperately a tutorial section on the website or forums. I remember we talked about revamping the forums once for this.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2018 08:40 Edited at: 27th Feb 2018 08:40
May be what's needed is some sort of Community Guide like FPS Creator had. https://www.scribd.com/document/4802222/OFFICIAL-COMMUNITY-GUIDE-TO-FPSCREATOR
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W10 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "May be what's needed is some sort of Community Guide like FPS Creator had. "

First time iv see that one ... Really cool .. That would be good
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2018 19:22 Edited at: 27th Feb 2018 19:25
wow you just reminded that i once started a wiki for Game Guru in 2015 lol

http://gameguru.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Here is how Unity's community wiki looks:
http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Main_Page
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2018 19:28
I am writing a book per CRC press with Lee's blessing, but it won't be distributed via TGC channels at all due to the contract I have with them. It will be about 450 pages, lots of pics/illustrations/etc. A complete start to finish tome on how to use, build, and configure Game-Guru. I've been conducting interviews with lots of our 'leaders' in the Game-Guru market on various topics ranging from level design, prep, marketing, sale, etc. So you could always wait for that but it's not due to hit print until about July of next year.

I have no idea what the price will be but the publisher will set that. I will however have access to discount coupons I can give out to forum members, which should help ease things.

In the interim, I'm sure the community will come up with something. I unfortunately cannot participate as it may (unsure) violate my contract to do so by working on a competing product. I've tried to turn my blog into a general repository of Game-Guru things so definitely check it and specifically the tutorials and reference sections.

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2018 21:33
I'm looking forward to the release BAG.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 02:17 Edited at: 28th Feb 2018 02:21
Pretty sure a 15 year old inspired youth is not going to want to spend additional money on learning how to use a tool he just got his parents to buy him while it was on sale on Steam. Like the big engines, this information should be provided free and its nice they have wiki communication collaborations too. All we really need is regularly updated PDF's at the very least and a tutorial section on the forums like we have long-awaited for.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 07:07
Won't make a blind bit of difference, no one would bother reading it anyway, the vast majority of questions raised on these forums could be answered in 10 seconds by the questioner themselves by simply typing the question into google, if they can't be bothered doing that then they certainly aren't going to wade through a wiki or a pile of tutorials!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 11:09 Edited at: 28th Feb 2018 11:13
Have to be careful as users who give reviews would give a big thumbs down for having to Buy GameGuru and then Bolt Action Gaming's book on how to use it ... Although I'm really looking forward to seeing what he comes up with it should never be mistaken for official documentation.. If we get bad reviews for little documentation now can you imagine if they had to buy it ..

Not impossible to have available as well though just like other engines have ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1849695261?aaxitk=YLRuISesOOuuc5g1t62olw&pd_rd_i=1849695261&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=1668198547&pd_rd_wg=otrnN&pf_rd_r=G397CB5R5GXMZC50P9KC&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=gy8Yf&pf_rd_i=unity+game+creation&pd_rd_r=09f76f98-7bee-4e39-b641-32aad9f44939&hsa_cr_id=5253235870302
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Won't make a blind bit of difference, no one would bother reading it anyway, the vast majority of questions raised on these forums could be answered in 10 seconds by the questioner themselves by simply typing the question into google, if they can't be bothered doing that then they certainly aren't going to wade through a wiki or a pile of tutorials!"

True.

If we could as a community(not Lee!!!!) create a little guide, like wolf did with his tutorial, that is more than enough for a free paper! If you really want to have a step by step guide, you need to pay.
And for all commands like Lua, Fpe and shotcuts we should fill this here: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/wiki
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 11:42
Quote: "May be what's needed is some sort of Community Guide like FPS Creator had. https://www.scribd.com/document/4802222/OFFICIAL-COMMUNITY-GUIDE-TO-FPSCREATOR"

This indeed.

That would be sufficient and can be expanded on as Gameguru progresses.
The question then is, who is willing to participate in creating this guide?
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 11:50 Edited at: 28th Feb 2018 11:51
What we need is a simple guide to the tricks and tips like changing things in set up,switching between skies that sort of thing.not a book .that would stop al the have you tried this have you tried that replied to people stuck with something not working a simple reference thread.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 15:11
Quote: "What we need is a simple guide to the tricks and tips like changing things in set up,switching between skies that sort of thing.not a book .that would stop al the have you tried this have you tried that replied to people stuck with something not working a simple reference thread."

Which is what the original Community Guide was. I created that guide but don't have time to do this one. I wish good luck to whoever tackles it.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W10 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 15:27 Edited at: 28th Feb 2018 15:28
@teabone and @synchro - did I mis-state myself in some capacity? I thought I made it clear my guide would be optional and that the community should have it's own guide (which I unfortunately cannot work on). I did not mean to make it sound like mine was the official guide that you have to buy to use GG. I am merely saying A) Lee is aware of the work and B) it has his blessing (like good luck, we are looking forward to see it).

Mine is meant to be more of a amateur & professionals guide to start-to-finish make a game in game-guru (including selling). It is not aimed at 15 year old kids in basements (as they likely won't be able to afford it anyways).

I totally believe the community needs a bare bones 'how to use' guide along with some basic tutorials. While you can find what you're looking for, there's too much info spread over too many places (which is what inspired me to write my book in the first place).

Hope that clears it up.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 18:38 Edited at: 28th Feb 2018 18:38
Quote: "did I mis-state myself in some capacity?"

No it was quite clear to me ..
My issue was a newbie would probably be directed to your book / Manual / Tutorial and that's when it would hit the fan if he thought it was an official guide.
I'm quite clear in the knowledge its a third party book .. If its amazing I will even buy it myself ..
And yes we do need our own
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:59:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:59:51