Product Chat / Is it Public Preview, or is it me?

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2018 13:39 Edited at: 21st Jan 2018 13:46
OK, OK.
I won't be bothering by repeating what has already been told.
PP is "just a preview", not a final release, yes.
But I'm a little worried about the way it works, and I'm wondering if it's my fault somehow, or it's just it being that buggy, because Lee told me "PP is the FIRST GOOD version and the beta is buggy". So I can barely imagine how Beta is working now.
Is it really PP doing that way, or maybe there's something I need to do to work it out?

I'm listing what happens:

- Lightmapping is a total mess. Already told.

- Storyzones are not working in PP.

- Decals and other things cause GG to crash. Already told. BUT, while testing a level, Test Mode stops and goes back to editor SO MANY times with me simply trying to editing setting tabs. Is it normal?

It's quite unusable right now. I surely won't be going on with development of my project under PP, but I really need a working version ASAP, I'm reverting to 05/12 release just to test something, but if I'll be going ahead, I desperately need to have my maps working when next version comes out.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2018 13:50 Edited at: 21st Jan 2018 14:53
Yep that's the one ...
So in this PBR preview version the light mapping isn't implemented correctly yet ( although eventually may not be required anyway )
Nor the decals or story zones .. other than that its pretty stable.
Lee does state he cannot guarantee full legacy support in the preview .. Obviously these things will be fixed in the full release..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2018 20:37
I don't have problems with decals.
Only don't have the "glow" effect on some things (cartoon stones).
The version is not crashing more than the vers. before.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The version is not crashing more than the vers. before."

Crashing a lot, instead.

Reverted to 05/12 release, and it doesn't crash.
Public Preview crashes a lot. I mean, Test Mode stops after freezing and GG goes back to editor.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Public Preview crashes a lot. I mean, Test Mode stops after freezing and GG goes back to editor."

Actually we haven't had many reports of this .. would this be with Legacy maps by any chance ?
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 01:20 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 01:29
The crashes are seemingly related to DX11, with Nvidia Drivers on Windows 7-- two shaders for animated decals. This has been reported countless times.

Cylo, are you still using decals in your maps and receiving crashes? If so might want to post that in the bug section if you haven't already.

Oddly enough I have experienced other weird issues with the public preview whereas it would unexpectedly revert your map or attempt an autosave. As if it had unexpectedly crashed on its own. I cannot figure out what causes it so i cannot report it. So for me it has been the least stable build for me in quite sometime. Unfortunately. So I'm now using an older version of GG in the meantime.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 01:37 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 01:49
Quote: "It crashed for 6 people on forums and 4 people that use the animated decals from the TGC Store. Reported via the tgcstore.net messenger service for authors an buyers."

Thanks for the info ... Like i thought if its only 6 reports then its not really many but Lee is already aware of the decals issue ..

Quote: " This has been reported countless times. If it does not get addressed I will not be using Game Guru further. This should not be downplayed."

Its not downplayed ... You over playing it ... Its a beta preview ... How many times does this need saying ..
It will get addressed as the beta develops further ... Until then roll back ... Simple ..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 01:52 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 01:56
I had edited my post a while back, had to calm myself down earlier. Noticed the post was not about the decal issue.

I have had to manually fix 60 stock items + DLC items that are not set up properly with Game Guru that have taken me two days now to fix. My entire weekend. I don't understand why these items were even for sale in this state. I spend 90% of my time fixing and doing work arounds. It causes me a lot of stress and i find it very difficult going forward here. I dont get responses by email anymore, see no real feedback in the beta threads or public. In regards to the many issues that still remain and newly discovered with past builds and assets.

In regards to the customers in the store experiencing the same crashes, they are using the public beta preview as well without being warned that their computer may crash. I'm sure other sellers have received the same types of emails. I found out about it from them about i used the public beta preview build myself. I had to remove all animations off from those items on the store.

The beta build had known crashes and should have never went publicly accessible. Especially not during a cool down time of development by TGC.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 05:58 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 08:22
Are the issues with stock/dlc media issued that are in beta/preview or in live? If in lived then yes i agree, they should work properly off the bat, but if it's just issues in preview/beta then it's understandable, i wouldn't expect lee to go through them and fix them until the build is finalized, because it might be issues that are fixed by later changes to the engine and any changes he makes to the models may have to be redone later. So yeah live media has no excuse for not working properly.

As to your models, there is no reason or need for you to update, remove or notify anybody about your store items and the preview at the moment, people opt into the preview voluntarily, they know it is a preview, they are told it could have bugs, if they don't realize that there may be issues with it then they lack even the most basic common sense, and that is their problem, not yours.

If they report issues with your models in beta or preview, just reply that there understandably will be issues with beta and that the models will be updated if there is still an issue when the beta is over.

If it wasn't working on live, then yes, i would fix them right away and be worried about it, but during beta/preview i wouldn't stress about it, because they should be expecting issues, and any fix you do now may just have to be undone later.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Considering the amount of work and changes required to make the preview even work (not talking about a final version) I'm amazed its a stable as it is to be fair... Sure crashes and such are annoying and frustrating but its expected to have issues with a major update... And nobody said it was perfect... It would be the final version if it was (though of course the final version is very unlikely to be perfect :p )
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 12:51
For me this preview version gives a lot of speed, compared to before, even with my poor graphic card, i added 30 zombies and GG stay fluid , before it was killing my machine
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 15:28
Yes, indeed, there is quite a noticable improvement.
This bodes well for the final version, we simply have to be patient until it is released.
As synchromesh mentiones, the preview is a beta which should not be seen and used as a workable version for our maps.
Yet i'm using it since its release because it is so much faster and i'm only trying things out anyway.
When the final version is released i'm starting to get serious with building game levels.

Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Cylo, are you still using decals in your maps and receiving crashes? If so might want to post that in the bug section if you haven't already."

To be honest, Test Mode crashes even with an empty map and a building, while I'm trying to edit SETTING Tabs, and only when modifying settings.
I think this needs to be known, and not obstacled by who says "to me it works awesome!!!" and "never crashed to me, this version is very fast!!!".
We are here to collect bugs to fix, and not to be shills for what is working.
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 16:03
But it doesn't always have to be a bug, if it is, i should experience those crashes with an empty map as well but that does not happen.

I can do everything without a crash, well, the decals, but that is known.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 16:14 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 16:16
Quote: "I think this needs to be known, and not obstacled by who says "to me it works awesome!!!" and "never crashed to me, this version is very fast!!!"."

Then you need to provide more info than "it crashes", starting with your full specification of your PC, including OS and other software that is running at the time of the crash, and step by step what you have done each time up to the point of it crashing, including what models, settings, etc you used.

Considering there are so few people that this is happening to, you especially need to do all this and more, as it may be an issue with the specific environment you are running it in.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 16:35
Hi guys ,
Before every new session with Game Guru , I verify all files and every time it says it has
To re-aquire between 3 to 10 files , but , if I do this , every time , I rarely if ever get a stall or a crash , except , if I try to add a decal.
I can make a standalone then and it runs perfectly with no files or objects missing.

I'm running on
Windows 7
with 8 gig of ram and
3.4 gh processor and
gtx 670 video card

Not saying verifying all files will solve all the world's problems
and put an end to poverty and hunger , but , at least for me and my setup
it SEEMS to work quite well?

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 16:40 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 17:09
Quote: "Yet i'm using it since its release because it is so much faster and i'm only trying things out anyway."

Same for me to be honest .. Find a fault , Report and move on to the next test, all projects on the back burner for now ..

Just before Xmas we had loads of requests to check out the PBR, speed, Loading etc and although not really ready for public consumption Lee released a very early public preview with a warning to back up everything and no guarantees as it will have Legacy issues and most certainly not for continuing your projects ... And what does Lee get ... Moaning, Complaints, even a thread somewhere of users fed up with the Bugs ( in the preview test ) and threatning to leave .. Even when there is a full release no one can guarantee 100% compatibility and GG is not alone.

Quote: "9 Jul 2017 - Because of the differences between Unity 4 and 5, some new bugs were created. I spent the past 3 days fixing those bugs, and now the Unity 5 version of the game is a 100% match with the Unity 4 version of the game! …or, at least, it should be! There might still be a few lingering bugs that slipped past ..."

So before throwing the " Other engines don't do it " think on because they do ..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 18:50 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 18:54
Quote: "To be honest, Test Mode crashes even with an empty map and a building, while I'm trying to edit SETTING Tabs, and only when modifying settings.
"

Can you verify if it actually "crashes"? Does Game Guru shutdown or freeze? Or does Game Guru just return you to the editor with a reverted version of your game or it attempts to autosave and relaunch? If that's the case I've experienced that same issue however I am unable to recreate the cause. So I have nothing to report to Lee about that. I do however know a way to prevent this.

If you open your map or create a new one, you then immediately save it once the map is generated. It seems to prevent Game Guru from relaunching your map unexpectedly. As it avoids using the "default" map file that GG uses when it encounters a problem and reverts or autosaves.

If you are experiencing a lot of issues with the public preview, you should certainly avoid it. Technically shouldn't be using your existing maps or games with it. Always make a backup of your game/map when using a beta build.

-My apologies for earlier , synchromesh

Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 20:27 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 20:32
Guys, are we going to assume problems need to be solved, or discuss about our own opinion and useless stuff? I'm just being honest, not a shill nor the opposite. I think it's quite simple.

I talked about the problem. Once I reverted to 05/12 release, it doesn't happen anymore.

@Teabone I simply mean that in some circumstances (almost every time I open SETTINGS and try to edit tabs) the Test Mode freezes and then... RESUMING PREVIUS SESSION. Back to editor. Straight and simple, that's just it. So many times.
No need to involve Decals, it also happened on a level with only a building and the Player marker, just to be sure.

I'm testing on a machine running Windows 10 on AMD FX6300 with a GTX760 OC and 8GB DDR3.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2018 20:48 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2018 20:56
Quote: "My apologies for earlier , synchromesh"

Nothing to apologise for ... We all understand where your coming from and on a full release I'm right behind you or maybe even in front
But we do expect issues with this one in particular ....

Having said that ... There are some good issues splashed all over the Forum that Lee needs to know about.
Preferably without him hunting for it all so I'm going to start a new thread with just a list of issues to help him make sense of it all ..
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219236
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 14:32:30
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 14:32:30